Video Review of "The 23" (Dr. Pepper)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindtwist69

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Walrus,

Thank you for doing the review, I will take your suggestions back to the factory and work on the "creamy and caramely" flavoring. :) You were vaping 18mg, I'll definately be ordering 36mg of it next time, hopefully it'll give you more of the kick you were looking for.

Do you think that using VG instead of PG as a base would make it sweeter and thicker in terms of the feeling of vapor in your mouth?

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Walrus,

Thank you for doing the review, I will take your suggestions back to the factory and work on the "creamy and caramely" flavoring. :) You were vaping 18mg, I'll definately be ordering 36mg of it next time, hopefully it'll give you more of the kick you were looking for.

Do you think that using VG instead of PG as a base would make it sweeter and thicker in terms of the feeling of vapor in your mouth?

God I hate the -y suffix. It does the job though :) Using VG will almost certainly increase vapor... I added a written note to the review that says I can't truly be objective on the vapor production, because I use my own blends almost exclusively and I use glycerine... it wouldn't have been fair to give vapor a 'score'. Someone with a little more experience in pre-made juices can give you a better comparison for how the vapor stands now.

If the factory were to add a bit of vanilla or cream flavor that would help, I think. Caramel probably isn't the right description... I mean, you know what Dr. Pepper tastes like. Almost more a dark corn syrup flavor, but you wouldn't want them adding that! This sounds funny, but of the flavorings I've used, probably the closest for adding that taste is Lorann's Coffee. It's a dark, rich flavor.

I may try playing with the 23 sample you sent me a bit. I'll let you know what/if I find.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Notes taken, will be on the horn with the manufacturer tonight.

Do you think this would be of interest in just a straight flavoring for the DIY'ers?

Well... I don't know. Anyone who wanted to go through the steps of adding a couple other flavors like I did could get near to Dr. Pepper perfection... but a lot of folks don't want to bother. If your factory can get it there, that'd probably be the way to go. Or as close to it as possible...

Until then, I'm now happy :) As a bright side, adding the other flavors appears to have increased my throat hit :) If I run out of my sample before you get a new factory sample, I'll probably be ordering some to play with again. And at the rate I'm going, I'll probably run out tonight :p

ShimmyPrincess

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2009
The Windy City
Walrus, my friend...we're on the same page, got my samples today and went straight for the Dr. pepper too. :)

Here's my assesment

I filled a blank cart and used my 801 to test.
Dr. Pepper is my favorite soda as well and this juice comes VERY close. I have tried most of the US suppliers and vape premades as well as my own. I agree that this would not be a liquid to mix with, it's soft but quite nice ~ a bit fruity and when the mention of bottle cap candy comment was made, yes, that's there and I do like it. Similar mouth taste as JC vanilla ice cream as far as being subtle but good (not the same flavor I must clarify) At 18mg. I got a pretty good throat hit and can taste the nicotine and I usually vape 24mg. As for vapor, it's there, but like walrus said, no VG but still a decent amount in my opinion.
Overall
Taste 8/10
throat hit 7/10
vapor 7/10

I would have given higher on throat hit, but as I said, I usually vape 24mg and at 18 this was good, I can only assume the higher levels would have better hits. I do recommend this juice. A darn good vape

Many thanks Robert

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
Well... I don't know. Anyone who wanted to go through the steps of adding a couple other flavors like I did could get near to Dr. Pepper perfection... but a lot of folks don't want to bother. If your factory can get it there, that'd probably be the way to go. Or as close to it as possible...

Until then, I'm now happy :) As a bright side, adding the other flavors appears to have increased my throat hit :) If I run out of my sample before you get a new factory sample, I'll probably be ordering some to play with again. And at the rate I'm going, I'll probably run out tonight :p
Walrus may I make a suggestion. I'm not a fan of Dr. Pepper but I think if you add a tiny, and I mean tiny bit of licorice to the mix you might come pretty close to what you want. Drink a real bottle of Dr. Pepper and try to pick out the individual flavors. I think licorice is in there. Just my .02

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Walrus may I make a suggestion. I'm not a fan of Dr. Pepper but I think if you add a tiny, and I mean tiny bit of licorice to the mix you might come pretty close to what you want. Drink a real bottle of Dr. Pepper and try to pick out the individual flavors. I think licorice is in there. Just my .02

I'm not a licorice fan, so I don't have any on hand. It's not something I'd buy just to try out... but thanks for the suggestion :)

mindtwist69

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Sorry all I had to run to the post office to get some last minute orders in before they closed. Thanks to the two of my testers who have posted so far. I am glad you like the taste, as I asked Walrus earlier, once I get the taste perfected from the factory, we'll start adding it in the flavor section so that you can cut it and still recover the taste. Glad to see you all liked that flavor, please try the others and let me know!

mindtwist69

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
*update*

Walrus, I just talked to the factory, not only are they going to add some new flavoring into the next batch, they are also going to run it 36mg with VG. Hopefully you'll see the vapor and throat hit, we'll also be getting the flavoring so that if some of you out there want to either cut it down or make your own mix, you won't lose the flavor.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
*update*

Walrus, I just talked to the factory, not only are they going to add some new flavoring into the next batch, they are also going to run it 36mg with VG. Hopefully you'll see the vapor and throat hit, we'll also be getting the flavoring so that if some of you out there want to either cut it down or make your own mix, you won't lose the flavor.

Awesome... how long will it be until you receive the new recipe?

cowgal

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco, TX
edithfrost.com
Sorry to jump in on an old thread, but I wanted to share something. I grew up in Texas, home of Dr. Pepper, and the urban legend I always heard was that the unique flavor comes from... prunes! I don't know if that's true but on the rare occasions that I've tasted actual prunes or prune juice, it always makes me think of D.P. Power of suggestion maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread