Video Review of the M201 Penstyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    So, here's a penstyle I picked up as 'bought direct from China overstock' from a fellow ECF member. I thought it was an 801 clone, but have had soemone confirm it's not, at least for the atty and coil.

I've found out that:
    1. lighting can be a b*tch for showing actual vape on video.
    2. It's time to pull out the decent video camera for next time, and backdrop.
    3. When the vapor looks lame, wait until the end. :)

YouTube - M201 Penstyle Initial Review

I 'borrowed' Terraphons' battery rating system, as it's a good idea, at least until we all have 20 hour PVs.

Using same juice across the M201 and 510.

Will review all on hand in a 'shoot-out' between J118, Greencig, KR808D1, 510, M401, etc in one video when I get some time, but right now, I'm kinda liking this guy after a few days non-stop with it...not a bad backup to my 510.

Vapor production - 8
    Throat hit - 7
    Consistency - 8
    Cart life and capacity: 1ml, lasts decently btu not yet counted
    Switch sensitivity - 8
    Battery Life - 6-7 ~3 hours+
    Draw: medium, analog like, similar to 510 but whistle tip.
    Overall score - 8

Battery on mine does *not* cutoff, have gone to 10 seconds with LED lit/inhaling, no cutoff yet.

Last edited:

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Ya, I know it, never planned on doing videos, just sorta 'did.' Using the macbook built-in, it does odd things with lighting.

I've got a tripod and decent digital camcorder, that'll be set up for next ones..isn't so bad during the day, but lighting is fubar with the camera auto-adjusting and lighting conditions, thus the 'ghetto ending' :D

PS - I kept it under YouTube 'ten minutes,' so......, I tried, alright? :lol:

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Ohhhh....you're using a Mac. Nuff said! haahaaa JK!!

:lol: You're not that far off. been using Linux as a dev system on everything, laptops included since..wow...like '95 onwards (workstations then, not laptops just yet). Finally got a bit annoyed with the tweaking...great for servers, and was getting very good for regular PC and laptop use, except for a few nits. OpenOffice wasn't good enough, fast enough, and a few other tools I need for work, basically a handful of time that was spent sorting out the system at times I needed things to 'just work.' So, I waited until Apple finally made the core2 duo version, and pulled the trigger, figuring I'd just put kubuntu or gentoo on it if OSX ...... me off too badly (anything before OSX 10.3 or so, especially classic = total rubbish). It's slow as an OS, but most things do 'just work.' Now, if only they'd stop doing the '80%' job...it's like they intentionally stop more complex tasks from ever happening in their tools...and they sort of hacked up a perfectly good Unix. Some days I'm *so* ready to wipe it out, other days, I have all my *nix tools via macports, plus some other often used software that 'just works,' when and how I need it to, so..it's still there. iPhoto = crap, iWeb = easy to use but crap...basically for a neophyte it's awesome, but once you want to do something more advanced (embed javascript, edit raw HTML, even just simple photo scaling or filters..)..forget it. Then you have to buy the 'pro' stuff.

Ok, Apple rant over now.. :)

Figurehead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2009
    Las Vegas Nevada
    www.myspace.com
    Great review. I'm wondering tho is our have the same batteries. Mine is EXTRA sensitive. I can literaly blow on it and it turns on, even more sensitive than my J118 battery.

Also, mine is hitting in the throat like a freight train. I vape 36 in my e-cigars and 24 in all of my other devices & in the M201 I have had to cut it to about 10-12 strength.

It's my new personal favorite and is responsible for me retiring my e-cigars for a rainy day.

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    @Figurehead

Well, I do have some M201 'spares' coming from litecig, so will compare. This was essentially direct from manufacturer, so it's possible there's some difference, but seems not so likely.. ? (Unless there's indeed another 'model' out there neither of us know about??)

I've certainly had variance in batteries before on autos, so that's possible too, will compare both of em once they recharge. I've got a 'slow' M401 battery..it works, but really 'delayed' response, both turning on and off, so that could be it, too.

Throat hit on it is decent, and I'm really annoyed with the lighting and cam right now. It's just not > 510. But, is close, and quite enjoyable..at least right now, it's on the keeper list, so much so the pair of batteries I have are both out, and recharging, and they do get decent battery life.

PS - I couldn't resist, and while I typo'd I think ('out' vs 'our'), I couldn't resist the 'special credits,' did you make it to the very end? :)

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Ambient or 'natural light' seems to do ok, but with it being darker, I was *watching* the camera adjust the light level, definitely was a PITA. As in, the image would lighten or darken even just reaching in front of me for the other e-cig. It may be the funky lighting arrangement I've got in here, not sure. I definitely think the darker background helps, though, as it gives contrast versus the vapor. Once I get that sorted better, think am going to do a quick comparison among all the e-cigs I've got on hand, to ensure identical conditions, etc.

And big, fat meh on the built-in camera I'd been using, good res, flaky/bad auto=adjustment/enhancements. :(

RsL

ECF Veteran
    Apr 18, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Also, mine is hitting in the throat like a freight train.....

It's my new personal favorite and is responsible for me retiring my e-cigars for a rainy day.

To hear you say you are retiring your e-cigars is like me saying I'm going stop drinking Southern Comfort! Shocking actually.

But in all seriousness now, are you sure you don't just have a sore throat or something which is intensifying the throat hit? I wouldn't even say my 510 hits like a freight train.

What's the cutoff time? Is it longer than a standard 801?

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    To hear you say you are retiring your e-cigars is like me saying I'm going stop drinking Southern Comfort! Shocking actually.

But in all seriousness now, are you sure you don't just have a sore throat or something which is intensifying the throat hit? I wouldn't even say my 510 hits like a freight train.

What's the cutoff time? Is it longer than a standard 801?

I'm unsure I've hit any cutoff on the M201 myself, have gone at least > 5 seconds on mine, but you caught the battery 'under-sensitivity issue' (slight) on mine. I need to swap between the batteries a few times to see if it's 'normal for the 201' or just the one battery, but both definitely get > 5 seconds, and I believe > 7 seconds. Perhaps there are a few different batteries out there for it, but seems unlikely as I believe it's a new model from Smoore?

I also don't think the 510 hits like a freight train, but it hits 'good,' you can feel it instead of just 'oh, what's that minor weird tingle?' etc.

The 201 doesn't hit quite as good as the 510, for me, with same juice, but I like it well enough.

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    I got it dialed into where it's now comfortable for me, but mine has a SERIOUSLY intense throat hit. Mine doesn't seem to have a cut off, but I can't pull longer than 10 seconds with it anyways.

I love it.

You know what I'm about to say, right? :p

I *am* surprised by your e-cigar comments, but on the seriously intense throat hit...update when you get the 510, or perhaps a 5v mod? As much as the 510, to date for me, is 'king,' on throat hit..it's definitely relative, and I'd expect a JS with 510 atty to hit better, or a prodgiy, GG, or other higher voltage device (although for the 510, I'm not convinced 5-6v is 'needed' so much as a consistent 4-4.5, just educated guess/opinion there, not yet tried).

Grr. I want to see Figureheads 510 review, as then we have a more 'direct' context point, as do others.

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Hey Wegster, another great review. From what I know the batteries should be mic switch batteries on the m201. Is there more that one version?

Not that I'm aware of. I thought it was literally an 801 clone, numbers and looks certainly looked right, plus the cart 'mostly fit,' but was told it's not, at least from the atty standpoint.

I'd love to know myself, though, as I think I'll be keeping it, and hyper-sensitive batteries drive me insane. I wouldn't want to wind up with any new M201 batteries with a 5 second cutoff or sensitive like my J118 batteries are, or they'd be destined to be returned or into the trash.

ruuku

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    AFAIK, there is only the Mic switch for the M201, as well as the M401 (well the DSC401 has a pressure switch, but I don't believe these are actually made by Smoore). Fedor was trying to hint at AEC (manufacturer storefront for Smoore) to produce manual batts as well as a USBPT for them, but I'm not too sure how its coming along.

Figurehead: My 201 batts are all pretty sensitive as well. I carry my e-cigs in a zippered case, and sometimes when opening the case, either the vibration or sound caused by the zipper will activate my batteries. Cutoff for my 201 is about 7 seconds, but like Figurehead said, hitting this is (for me) often hard to do. Unless taking a lung inhale with very low nic juice, i rarely, if ever, hit the cutoff.

EDO

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 15, 2009
    For sensitive mic switch batteries you can always put a rubber 801 cart cap on the LED side to make the switch less sensitive. A better way is to take the cap off the battery....you know the cap that covers the LED...and stretch some plastic wrap over the LED and slide the cap back on....this will cut off the excess plastic wrap. This will make the switch a lot less sensitive.

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    @Edo - hmm, will that change the draw? It seems likely at least some air enters via the battery LED end on auto/open batteries, no ?

Got the batteries and some spare M201 carts from litecig, plus another J118 atty (probably my last, but we'll see..) with a freebie thrown in, very nice and fast shipping, no complaints there.

The batteries there also hold without cutoff to 10 seconds.

Haven't tried the batteries for the J118 yet from litecig, but...they're the same, no magic expected there.

I'm really surprised you guys think the M201 batteries are sensitive. I can flick my finger up and down the M201 battery, and it doesn't light up. I can hang in mouth and exhale slightly, doesn't light up. The J118 would be lit up looking at it.

Still liking the M201, although I was giving the 401 some love doing some dip testing, too, and the 510 on the PT as 'usual.' The J118 feels neglected, but hey, it's not my fault it's so inferior :D (can't get over it's way too light draw, will try the new attys).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread