Viscosity and PG/VG... best mix for my eCig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aphlaque_duck

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2010
San Jose, CA
New vaper here... in trying to figure out what flavors I like I first ordered a wide variety of small bottles from VaporBomb in 60% VG. then I ordered a few from TastyVapor in 20% VG.

I don't know what I'm doing here... but I have found that while I like many of the VB flavors, the TastyVapor products are much thinner, and they seem to vape more consistently and soak into the cartiridges more easily.

I'm somewhat aware of the PG/VG tradeoffs but I'm curious about viscosit in particular as it is very different between the products I have tried. Is the viscosity a simple result of the VG/PG ratio, or are there other fomula differences between vendors that affect it?

In my testing I am mostly going back and forth between a 701 and an eGo. I have found that while the 701 has a high storage capacity and gives a nice volume of vapor, the eGo has much better flavor. Presumably the result of different atomizer resistance or battery voltage?

I'm happy to continue experimenting but would love some guidance as to where I should be focusing my attention in terms of the best ratios for these products. Is it just personal preference / trial and error or is there an ideal mix for a particular cig?

aphlaque_duck

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2010
San Jose, CA
This thread was a bit old but thanks for the reply. In the time since I first posted I have tried a bunch of juices from different vendors at varying levels, and found that the lower VG gives me more of the TH and "sharpness" I like - probably the fact that I upgraded to the max nic level is helping with that too... that does seem to change the feel. So I have pretty much settled on 20% VG for now. Using 510 cartos FWIW, and I don't try to get more than about 10 fills out of them.

dubd1c3

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2010
Michigan
You're asking the right question.

I am very early in my experiments and went from a total PG to a total VG and already I can tell I will be happiest with a mix. VG is very very viscous, PG is somewhat thin, dry, harsh in my experience. VG opposite of these. My posting will keep me updated on mix percentages if more ppl decide to comment...

My personal plan was to order 100% PG and 100% VG of the 'same flavor' and mix different cartomizers with different weights. Time will tell.

maja

Jun 1, 2010
liverpool
I've just spent my first week vaping on PG only, and although I'm completely sold to vaping (no analogues yet - after 15 yrs 30-50 rollies a day) I was thinking the PG was a bit harsh at times and the vapor a bit low.

So today I went and bought a bottle of glycerin (£ 1.39 from Boots (UK)) and decided to try out a 50/50 mix. Man, my 510 turned into a proper smoke machine!! Seriously, I couldn't see out of the cloud surrounding my head!! And as satisfactory as that is - while probably looking like a cartoon exaggeration of analogue smoking - I quickly tired of it! I kept thinking I could only taste "smoke machine taste" and while my mouth and throat weren't getting dry as before, the oposite seemed to be happening: especially when I exhaled through my nose, it felt like the mucus membranes were watering up, almost ending up with a runny nose! Didn't feel like I was getting any more of the flavour - really only that disco smoke flavour - and TH was almost zero!

So clearly I need to do more experimenting! I mean the differences between PG and VG are quite marked I would say! I think I'll try 80/20 now, just to cut the PG harshenss and give a slightly greater vapour.

Oh, I had a 24 mg Cafe Sumatra from Vapor Station (in UK, moght be called sth different in US) and cut it in half with VG, while adding 5% flavourart whiskey flavour. Really didn't taste much of either!

Edit: Oh, I was going to ask! Should I be keeping separate atomisers for pure PG, PG/VG, pure VG or something? I hear there are gunking issues with VG? How big of a deal is that with e.g. 20% VG mixes?

Last edited:

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
All you need to do is dilute the VG with 20% distilled water and you won't have any of those problems. Also if you dilute it with PGA the TH will likely be better than PG. The reason it can hurt atomizers is because VG has a higher vaporization point and requires more heat, which some low voltage batteries / high resistance atomizers can't do. Diluting with water will lower the vaporization point so this won't happen, and PGA even moreso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread