Vision Clearos are breaking my batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

tencentcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
denton tx
I'm fairly new to the Clearos world, mostly using 510/Ego-T/Ego-C gear. I've been loving the Vision Stardusts, which mostly work great. Except that I've lost three Ego batteries to them so far.

I've never had an Ego break in like two and a half years, except for the one I dropped onto concrete.

I recently put on a new 1.8ohm head. The first fire up it loudly pops. Now the battery will light up but not fire anything up. I tried the head on an older ego battery and same thing happened.

Last night I noticed a vision was
Leaking a bit. Then I noticed the battery wasn't lighting. I just get the five flashes when I put it on a charger.

Is this a common happening, or
Something I'm not doing to prevent failures? I love the Visions and dont want to stop using them. Any help appreciated.

tencentcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
denton tx
I stick to cartos because of that. When you reorder, the new Upgrade model ego and the Twist both have protection against that happening.

Everything varies with the Ohms too. I check all my carto and make sure they don't run down too low ohm wise.

The Ego that broke yesterday was an Ego-C Upgrade. What protections do these have that the others don't?

I was wondering if I'm using too low a resistance, but they give me the hit I need. I'd hate to go back up to 2.4.

I've tried cartos - just don't like em. That's what is frustrating about this - aside from a seemingly low quality control of the Visions, they work better than anything I've tried.

Lumpia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
Tucson, AZ
I have measured some of the 1.8 heads that I have received in the past, and they were not 1.8. One registered down at 1.2. I don't know if they are just counting wraps and got an abnormality in the coil wire or what. I would strongly recommend measuring the resistance of any device before putting it on your batteries, unless you are looking to replace them.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
I have had the same issue on a couple of the batteries. I am not sure, but it seems like the connection part on the battery is slightly lower on some. When I switched to a tank or atty, it would work fine. I have eight of these batteries, and two of them will not work with the Stardust.

Your problem seems to be different to the OP's problem. You can carefully lower the center pin of the carto by pulling on it, or raise the pin of the battery very slightly. See if that helps the connection.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    The Ego that broke yesterday was an Ego-C Upgrade. What protections do these have that the others don't?

I was wondering if I'm using too low a resistance, but they give me the hit I need. I'd hate to go back up to 2.4.

I've tried cartos - just don't like em. That's what is frustrating about this - aside from a seemingly low quality control of the Visions, they work better than anything I've tried.

Well, the Upgrade is newer, I haven't heard any problem oriented feedback yet. I believe it's supposed to have short circuit and over-discharge protection. With other Pv's with these protections, they simply shutdown/blink, and reset themselves after a bit.

Of course, if it got soaked with juice and shorted with a too low ohm clearo- that would be enough to overwhelm most protection circuitry.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
    Jan 4, 2011
    NE Pennsylvania
    I'm pretty new to vision cartos as well (the ones with the replacable heads have only been out a month or so, no?), but have a fair amount of experience dripping with cisco attys and, they warn against using their 1.5 ohm, 1.8 ohm and 2.0 ohm atties in ego/riva and the like batteries saying they might very well kill or significantly shorten the lifetime of your batteries.

But, the cisco atties have a tendancy to drop in resistance and so, I did some investigation on this and my conclusion, was that it is DENGEROUS to use resistances of lower than 1.5 ohms on your egos, and I tend to stick to 1.7/1.8 ohms to be safe.

With my vision clearos, I have metered them and they all came in at 1.7/1.8 ohms and so far I have not had any problems. This is with like 10 of them plus 3 extra heads that I currently have.

But, if you got one that was bad, say 1.2 ohms or so that the one poster mentioned, yeah, that will kill your egos.

What you gotta do, is get yourself a good voltmeter, and check everything that you get in. I got the digital one from Walmart and it works great. You have to determine the internal resistance by simply crossing the leads (on mine it is 0.3 ohms) and subtract that from any measurments, but for me this clearly beats an analog meter... and I have measured stuff (boge cartos) as low as 1.3 ohms and, that would be real bad on my egos.

Yeah, cartos, clearos and attys, tend to CHANGE their resistance as you use them, and thus it is good to also check what you are using every once in a while, and particularly if you start getting burnt taste or really slow or anything that seems to be different. Again, I use cisco attys for dripping and they WILL drop in resistance, one 1.8 ohmer came in at 1.7 ohms and then dropped to 1.5 and with that I stopped using it. As a matter of fact, last night I went and checked the resistances on all my vision clearos and, they still all came in at 1.7/1.8 ohms.

Besides low resistance bad for egos, another problem might be batteries getting too hot. I damaged one of my egos vaping on a cisco that was partially clogged and I was trying really hard to get some vapor out and, guess it got too hot as now that battery starts blinking 3 times all the time after I use it a bit... in other words, the 'too hot' mechanism on that battery got all wacked out.

Hope this helps! For me, I used to use boge 2.0 ohm cartos but just got the visions and they are better (so far anyways). The difference is you don't get that underlying 'cottony' taste, and various EJ that I have now is much better in the visions.

Z

Jagellpuff

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 2, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Your problem seems to be different to the OP's problem. You can carefully lower the center pin of the carto by pulling on it, or raise the pin of the battery very slightly. See if that helps the connection.

I would agree. Easiest is to carefully pull up the center pin on your batt. My GF uses Stardusts exclusively and I have to do this with her batts every few days. It is just slight variations in manufacturing that eventually pushes the center pin down.

If it is frying your batt more than likely your batt will not fire up anything. So try a STD carto on it to see if it works. But pull up the center pin first. :)

Jeff "Jagellpuff" via iPhone using Tapatalk

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I'm pretty new to vision cartos as well (the ones with the replacable heads have only been out a month or so, no?), but have a fair amount of experience dripping with cisco attys and, they warn against using their 1.5 ohm, 1.8 ohm and 2.0 ohm atties in ego/riva and the like batteries saying they might very well kill or significantly shorten the lifetime of your batteries.

But, the cisco atties have a tendancy to drop in resistance and so, I did some investigation on this and my conclusion, was that it is DENGEROUS to use resistances of lower than 1.5 ohms on your egos, and I tend to stick to 1.7/1.8 ohms to be safe.

With my vision clearos, I have metered them and they all came in at 1.7/1.8 ohms and so far I have not had any problems. This is with like 10 of them plus 3 extra heads that I currently have.

But, if you got one that was bad, say 1.2 ohms or so that the one poster mentioned, yeah, that will kill your egos.

What you gotta do, is get yourself a good voltmeter, and check everything that you get in. I got the digital one from Walmart and it works great. You have to determine the internal resistance by simply crossing the leads (on mine it is 0.3 ohms) and subtract that from any measurments, but for me this clearly beats an analog meter... and I have measured stuff (boge cartos) as low as 1.3 ohms and, that would be real bad on my egos.

Yeah, cartos, clearos and attys, tend to CHANGE their resistance as you use them, and thus it is good to also check what you are using every once in a while, and particularly if you start getting burnt taste or really slow or anything that seems to be different. Again, I use cisco attys for dripping and they WILL drop in resistance, one 1.8 ohmer came in at 1.7 ohms and then dropped to 1.5 and with that I stopped using it. As a matter of fact, last night I went and checked the resistances on all my vision clearos and, they still all came in at 1.7/1.8 ohms.

Besides low resistance bad for egos, another problem might be batteries getting too hot. I damaged one of my egos vaping on a cisco that was partially clogged and I was trying really hard to get some vapor out and, guess it got too hot as now that battery starts blinking 3 times all the time after I use it a bit... in other words, the 'too hot' mechanism on that battery got all wacked out.

Hope this helps! For me, I used to use boge 2.0 ohm cartos but just got the visions and they are better (so far anyways). The difference is you don't get that underlying 'cottony' taste, and various EJ that I have now is much better in the visions.

Z

See, that's funny there. I've been using Boges all day, every day for a year and a half and none has metered under 2.0. On the other hand, the clearos I've tried always were nowhere near the ohms I bought them for.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
    Jan 4, 2011
    NE Pennsylvania
    See, that's funny there. I've been using Boges all day, every day for a year and a half and none has metered under 2.0. On the other hand, the clearos I've tried always were nowhere near the ohms I bought them for.

Yeah, the differences here are pretty bizarre I agree.

With my cartos, I had problems with this certain EJ seemingly burning (this on Boge 306 2.0 ohm cartos and ego), and I ultimately threw the carto out. This was last summer. Then, this past December I had the same problem with the same EJ and now I had the multimeter and measured it and it was 1.4 ohms. Kept that carto with my 'bad' group of stuff and just measured it again and it read 2.0. LOL. But, I have seen this before with atties 'getting better' when you sit them a lot.

When I got my boge cartos in I metered them and then sorted them by resistance, and they always came in at between 1.8 and 2.1 ohms. I got them in boxes and have a half dozen or so in the '1.8' ohm box.

But, these are the 306 cartos. Maybe things are significantly different with the 510 cartos.

As far as the vision clearomizers, it appears that there are the 'official' vision clearos, the ones with the vision V on the tube, and then apparently there are the 'officially licensed' vision clearos, which are sold as vision clearos but do not have the V, and lastly there are the pure clones. So, what you get might be different based on who you get them from.

Also, I picked up some long wicked V1s and, they were a disastor for me. The first one was like 5 ohms or so and the vendor thus sent me a new on and metered that and it was 5 ohms or so as well. I guess these were from an 'officially' licensed vendor rather than official vision.

On the official vision clearos I got, a couple of them were having problems with high resistance when I first got them but I took them apart and reassembled and then they were fine.

Maybe the big thing here is WHO you get your cartos or clearos from. On the boges, from one vendor I got some with GREEN coils and that was really bad. Have a box full of them and the guess is that they were clones.

Z

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
    Jan 4, 2011
    NE Pennsylvania
    Or for a few extra bucks you could get a Provari to meter your attys and cartos.:vapor::vapor:

Hmmmm... the Walmart digital multimeter cost about $17.

On the other hand, the Provari costs around $160 and that is just starting, does not include chargers, batteries, etc.

Nice PV for sure but, more than a 'few bucks more' <g>.

Z

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread