Status
Not open for further replies.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Holy shamoly. Can't believe its going high heat on the dc's. That is just wild, When I get mine, I can't test that right away, cause I'm out of dcs. I don't invest in them often, since I'm happy with the boge and resurrectors. drat. lol But I'll see how high it'll go on my 1.7v single coil resurrectors

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
So it tells you how long you've been on a particular battery? Huh, I guess that's interesting, but I'd be more interested in a clock that just reliably told me what time it is, without having to reset it all the time. My cell phone never seems to be right at hand, like my pv, and I don't wear a watch. ;)

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
You know, based on what I've heard in reviews of LT, I'm gonna say you'll probably have a satisfying vape on em, but you won't get em anywhere near 5 or 6 volts. But again, your vape feels more intense regardless of the voltage because you're on a low res DC. The best way to figure out if it'll work well for you is to watch PhilBusardo's review of Lava Tube. The Tox is regulated exactly the same way. He charts out how high each ohm of carto/atty will go on voltage, so you'll know if that will take you high enough for your satisfaction. You can find his lavatube reviw at TasteYourJuice.com. Also, someone just recommended grimmgreen's lava tube follow up video to me, and he explains how it limits pretty well. Bottom line, based on how I understand it (and keep in mind, I've never used em. Don't have lava, and just ordered my tox... but I've been using a vv box for a while), is that it will allow you to dial in and vape at any voltage you set it at. But the internal contols will regulate the voltage it actually delivers to your carto. So if you've got a 1.5dc and you're trying to vape at 6v, its probably going to hold you down to high 3's. But that's still a nice vape with a dual coil. Personally, I'm curious to see how my 1.7 lr xl resurrectors perform on it, since they're single coil... but still very low res. But seriously, check that video out. Phil B charts out exactly how high the Lava tube will take each resistance of carto atty.. and a few of em are dc, as well.

I wish an actual USER of lava were in this thread... they could do a test real quick and tell you exactly how high it'll go on dual coil. But I have heard the majority of the complaints about the voltage restriction (its a safety feature, built into both Lts and Tox... what it does is not allow you to vape over 2.5 amps) are from vapers who are trying to use lower res dc cartos at higher voltages. Its just not possible with the 2.5 amp limitation. However, that doesn't mean that you can't get a nice vape out of it... Grimm Green's follow up will walk you thru the whole thing, and Phil B's will tell you exactly what is, and what is not possible. Again, neigher LT or Tox will prevent you from firing on a dc at any voltage... they'll just internally lower the voltage they acutally deliver. You can have it set to 6v, but only GET 3.8 on a dc, just to give you an example.

Again... tox is a DIFFERENT DEVICE than the lava tube, but it has similar internal restrictions/safety features, so that's why I'm recommending these. They helped me a ton, hopefully they'll help you too. ;)

GrimmGreen Lava Tube 1 and 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHpXseKX9Bs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSJMhjhH4BA

PBusardo Lava Tube (this is long, like 35 mins, but he charts out exactly what you can and can't do... charts start about the middle of the video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn20oQOLEA4

And you know, something that I really should have mentioned is we hear an awful lot about how negative that restriction is... But something really important to keep in mind, especially if you're on a budget and a relatively new vaper... is that those voltage restrictions WILL ACTUALLY PREVENT YOU FROM FRYING YOUR LOW RES AND DC STUFF. Which is HUGELY important, especially if you're newish and still trying to figure out all the rules. When I first got my vv box, without similar restrictions, I fried thru a good half my supply of cartos and attys figureint it all out. There's something to be said for playing it a tiny bit safe. And that's how I look at Tox and lavatube... they're a really budget friendly, safe way to explore vv, and you'll have a heck of a vape.

Last edited:

CoyoteRed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2010
Prospect Park, Pa.
The clock has to be reset as well as the date and time every time you change the battery. If you dont set the time it's like a clock when the power goes out ,so that way it would tell you how many hours the battery has been installed. Not an intended feature just an observation.Mine also seems to pulse when the button is pressed,changing the voltage many times during one vape. Not a constant voltage as suggested by the ad.Also the main thing I'm not happy about is the Vision carto's are not marked as to what ohm they are and so far the highest voltage I have seen is 4.5 on any voltage setting. Knowing that this device has limitations I think it would have been nice if one of the three Visions they sent with the kit was capable of hitting the higher voltages of this device. I'm only about two hours into this thing but I'm just not that impressed yet. That being said, I posted this in hope of someone else who may have one being able to tell me what if anything I'm doing wrong???????

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
The clock has to be reset as well as the date and time every time you change the battery. If you dont set the time it's like a clock when the power goes out ,so that way it would tell you how many hours the battery has been installed. Not an intended feature just an observation.Mine also seems to pulse when the button is pressed,changing the voltage many times during one vape. Not a constant voltage as suggested by the ad.Also the main thing I'm not happy about is the Vision carto's are not marked as to what ohm they are and so far the highest voltage I have seen is 4.5 on any voltage setting. Knowing that this device has limitations I think it would have been nice if one of the three Visions they sent with the kit was capable of hitting the higher voltages of this device. I'm only about two hours into this thing but I'm just not that impressed yet. That being said, I posted this in hope of someone else who may have one being able to tell me what if anything I'm doing wrong???????

It is odd that neither of the visions seem to be able to hit the higher voltages. That's just a foolish add on for the kit, then. You'd think they'd have sent a variety. My best suggestion for those would be super solid and super reliable boges. I know they're available in an XL size now, though haven't seem them in that many places yet. The reg size 2.0ohm lr and the 3.0ohm sr are BIG faves with people using lava tubes to hit those higher voltages, and they're my faves by far. Plus cheap, able to be picked up a ton of places, and always reliable. The resurrector 1.7xl sizes are great, too, but no way will you hit 5 and 6v with those.

As for the changing/pulsing voltage, I did read something about that in relation to the tox. Apparently that is one way that they really do differ from the LTs in terms of function. Apparently (and keep in mind I don't have much electrical understanding, I'm just paraphrasing from what I read about them on some site)... every time you hit the fire button, the Tox starts from a 0 voltage and very quickly revs up to the requested voltage, or as high as it'll go within the 2.5 amp cutoff. So if you're looking at it on a meter, I'd expect you'd see some major fluctuations in the first second or two of firing, as its revving up.

I believe this safety feature is designed to be kinder to your attys and cartos. I think its kind of like an old lightbulb, that pops its filament the second you turn it on. Apparently a lot of the atty/carto blowouts happen because they go from 0v instantly to 5 or 6v. So, in order to minimize risk to your equipment, the Tox gradually revs up (keep in mind that this is supposed to happen incredibly quickly) to the requested voltage. My suggestion would be to check out the meter a few seconds into the fire. If you're getting a ton of fluctuation from that point on, please let us know.

BTW, in another post on the TOX we're talking about best cartos at single and dual coil to hit the higher voltages. Smoktech 2.5ohm dual coils are getting talked about quite a bit, so I might try those. Not sure what to suggest for a ce2 type clearo thing, though. I just found a chart that recommends, for a 6v device...
2.5 ohm for a dual coil
3.2 ohm for a single coil
So that gives you some idea what to aim for. However, that chart doesn't take into consideration the 2.5 amp restriction, so that's something to keep in mind, as well. I'd be surprised if the Tox would let you get all the way to 6v on a 2.5 dual coil.

Last edited:

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
I will have to say, for anyone getting a TOX, try the 4ohm new style Visions. They are like mini Grandes, and vapor fiends. I am really impressed. I think the ones that I just got, and even better than the ones in the Gripper kit.

I've been debating on reviewing them, but I think I have to. They are really impressive. They don't work as well on the lower voltage devices, but they are still good.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
I will have to say, for anyone getting a TOX, try the 4ohm new style Visions. They are like mini Grandes, and vapor fiends. I am really impressed. I think the ones that I just got, and even better than the ones in the Gripper kit.

I've been debating on reviewing them, but I think I have to. They are really impressive. They don't work as well on the lower voltage devices, but they are still good.

Wait a sec... are those the ones that come IN the tox kit? Noone seems to know what resistance they are. If not, I'd love a link to the product you're talking about, if you happen to have one handy. Im new to gotvapes product line, and I know they carry a bunch of different clear vision thingies. lol Knowing me, I'd buy the wrong thing, entirely.

CoyoteRed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2010
Prospect Park, Pa.
Ok, I checked the ohm on the vision I'm using and I get a reading of 3.1 to 3.3.

For this test I fired the button and held it till it shut down{ I believe it does this after 10 seconds...

HERE are the readings I get from firt firing to last firing before the unit shuts down:
3.92 not bad
3.72 that was the last reading before shut-off.
OK the above reading was set at 4.0 volts.

Now readings for 4.5 volts are as follows:
3.40 last reading before shutting down.

This is not a variable volt device, but more of a fluctuating device. Not what I expected.
I, like you looked all over the web and saw the same reviews and everything you saw and thought that I would at least be able to vape a 3.2 Vision at 4.0 - 4.5 volts without much problem.

So for example: the voltage switched 7 times and went from a start of 3.76 to a low of 3.38 when set at 4.5 volts , the highest being about 2 seconds at 4.05.....

That is not consistent voltage in my opinion.Also a device I would not want as a so called variable volt device.

;

Last edited:

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
Wait a sec... are those the ones that come IN the tox kit? Noone seems to know what resistance they are. If not, I'd love a link to the product you're talking about, if you happen to have one handy. Im new to gotvapes product line, and I know they carry a bunch of different clear vision thingies. lol Knowing me, I'd buy the wrong thing, entirely.

Here is the link: GotVapes Vision HV MINI Extreme Tank 2.2ml - 4.0ohm [gv-HVVision2.2ml-4ohm] - $5.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

They say they are 4ohm, but I am going to test these.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Heck, on a 3.2 you should be able to get WELL over 5v, I'd think. What a bummer. I'll do some testing myself, when mine shows up, but gotta say... there was nothing in the alibaba orig product description (where the vendors buy pv kits from) or any of the vendor shops that sold the Tox about it having any reason to lower voltage, after it revs up. And I'm REALLY disappointed in those numbers. The shop better take it back, if I'm getting that sort of readings, because that flat out isn't what is promised in the description, even taking into account the 2.5 amp restriction.

And thank you, Coyotered for posting that data... and Lord Davon for the link! I'll definitely check that out. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread