Vision Vivi Nova Heads Have Incorrect Ohm Rating Stamped On Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalDoom

Oct 10, 2012
Ohio
I've always trusted the Vision Vivi Nova heads to have correct Ohm rating. Today I decided to put a new 2.4Ω head on my new 'VAMO' VV/VW mod and found that it actually rates at 4.8Ω instead of the 2.4Ω it states. That's a BIG difference!

Just something I thought everyone may want to be aware of. Like I said, the stamp on the head is something I've always trusted to be accurate. I expect other trust the Ohm rating stamped on them too.

If it were just a slight bit off it would be no biggie. But it's twice the Ω rating that it's labeled as....that's pretty poor IMO.

DigitalDoom

Oct 10, 2012
Ohio
A Vamo is not to be trusted as a DMM, but fire the coil a few times and see if the reading changes.

For better reading, buy a separate DMM, and they come in handy anyway.
Thanks for the advice.

I just got this new mod the other day and thought it was pretty cool to be able to instant check voltage and Ohms. It was accurate and matched the reading on my meter when I checked my own DIY coils so just figured it would be accurate on all.

I will be doing some more testing and verification via my DMM on various coils (my own DIY and commercially built).

DigitalDoom

Oct 10, 2012
Ohio
My Vamo seems to do decently on readings above 1.5 ohms, but I keep getting random weird reading sometimes, so I constantly fire and check. That said your could be more stable than mine, hard to know with the China stuff sometimes. :)
Very true!

Like I said, I had checked my own hand made coils with my new VAMO and verified the reading against my own meter and it was spot on. I should know that one or 2 accurate readings doesn't verify it as a reliable source.

I'll be doing more testing in the next few days. If for no other reason than my own peace of mind.

Off topic note:
I just bought a big sheet of stainless steel cloth to try out some wick making. Not sure how something like that might affect this device or my vaping experience.

DigitalDoom

Oct 10, 2012
Ohio
The one I had shorted the coil against the housing and was reading 4.9 ohms. Trash can time...
I'm curious to know how this happened. How did the battery mod short the coil?

I've been vaping for nearly a year now. I've been DIY my own liquid nearly the whole time but only recently am I getting into DIY hardware. I have much to learn about how the electrical current works in these mods and how it's affected by different situations and setups.

As I said in the last post, I'm planning to try making SS mesh wicks but I'm a little concerned how a metal wick might ruin a perfectly good mod by coming into contact with other metal in the tank.

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
Last one I bothered with was 1.7Ω, metered at 3Ω. I immediately gutted and rebuilt the remaining stock ones. Seems I paid $2.99 for the metal head and some trash.

They should just be stamped "Ω...?"

I just imagine each station they are put together, a big box of heads with different Ω stamped on the side, worker grabbing at will.

corruption42

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
In my own little world
They aren't wrong -- its not GotVapes that has an inconsistent product, its the parts that are shipped out from China. What, are they expected to go through and meter out every object they buy? Its not a feasible expectation of any reseller to 1) be able to afford such a stock loss (cuz you can't resell after testing) and 2) for them to have that expectation put on them. If the goods they receive are hit and miss, they're still the goods as they received them. It really boils down to being aware of the purchase YOU are making, not blaming the middleman who has absolutely nothing to do with creation of the product, nor confirmation of your experience.

Unless you have a solution for testing ohm ratings without ruining existing stock and subsequent packaging... I'm sure they'd love to know.

DigitalDoom

Oct 10, 2012
Ohio
Last one I bothered with was 1.7Ω, metered at 3Ω. I immediately gutted and rebuilt the remaining stock ones. Seems I paid $2.99 for the metal head and some trash.

They should just be stamped "Ω...?"

I just imagine each station they are put together, a big box of heads with different Ω stamped on the side, worker grabbing at will.
That's probably not far from the truth. I've only worked for American manufacturers and never for a Chinese company, but I would imagine the QC isn't all that great over there. Add in the thought of a Chinese worker going into his 18th hour assembling heads, and it's a wonder any of this stuff works at all really.

I posted this thread just as a FYI...it really isn't a greatly important matter. Just something I really wasn't aware of until now. I never bothered testing any of the Vision heads before. I just always held faith that if they are bothering with stamping them, the Ω rating would at least be close.

I usually prefer using my own hand-made coils anyway....I KNOW those are accurate.

DigitalDoom

Oct 10, 2012
Ohio
They aren't wrong -- its not GotVapes that has an inconsistent product, its the parts that are shipped out from China. What, are they expected to go through and meter out every object they buy? Its not a feasible expectation of any reseller to 1) be able to afford such a stock loss (cuz you can't resell after testing) and 2) for them to have that expectation put on them. If the goods they receive are hit and miss, they're still the goods as they received them. It really boils down to being aware of the purchase YOU are making, not blaming the middleman who has absolutely nothing to do with creation of the product, nor confirmation of your experience.

Unless you have a solution for testing ohm ratings without ruining existing stock and subsequent packaging... I'm sure they'd love to know.
That's a great point!

Many people have a tendency to blame the retailer for problem products. Unless you're buying direct, you really can't hold the retailer responsible for the quality of the product.

When it comes to PV hardware, we all know it comes from China. We all know Chinese quality isn't the greatest.

Some of the vendors I buy from make it clear on their site that all of this stuff is kind of hit-n-miss when it comes to quality. Some will honor the sale with a replacement for defects....many don't! It's just the nature of the business right now. Quality inconsistency is something we should all just expect....it's kind of a trade off for the low prices we're paying for this stuff.

Remember that this is still a fairly young industry. As more American manufacturers get involved (also English, French, German, etc.) the quality will increase....along with the prices!

corruption42

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
In my own little world
Let's see if I'm getting this. The are the reseller so they are not responsible for what they sell or the claims they make about the product they are selling! Thanks for correcting me on this issue, I'll try to be more cautious with my purchases.

Feel how you want -- they are presented with a sealed, packaged product. By your expectations, you expect them to go through and test all of them. The underlying factor here is low quality controls on the MANUFACTURING side -- not the RETAIL side. You are blaming the grocery store for the bad flavor on a box of 'generic crackers' -- your complaint isn't with the grocery store (though a good retailer will stand behind sales -- thats a separate issue altogether) -- its with the manufacturer of the bland, tasteless crackers. You made your purchase from the retailer, and they upheld their end of the bargain -- by the definition of the sale, they have taken care of you, as you the consumer made your choice of the product to purchase.

The analogy is suitable; we all know that quality control is bad on most these parts coming out of China. They're being mass produced, copied off eachother, cloned, material reductions performed for cost savings, etc -- all of these things factor into the reliability of the product. None of these things change the fact that the retailer at the end of the line is only that -- someone who is reselling a product manufactured and marketed by someone else.

Snide comments aside, you're missing the bigger picture of where the complaint should be directed. If you think you were wronged by GotVapes (and I won't disagree that they should stand behind a product -- however they also likely recognize the quality control issues they're up against if they try to do that) -- then push the issue with them; but remember you're passing the buck their way too. You're the one who chose a product that is quite well known to be inconsistent, from product lines even more widely known to be inconsistent. Expecting anything but inconsistency would be... well... inconsistent with reality.

Edit: What it seems you are missing here, is that GotVapes did NOT say that these are 1.8 ohm. They were TOLD by the MANUFACTURER that they were. They can only go on the information they are given; again, unless you expect them to un-seal a sealed product and test EVERY SINGLE ONE. This is not feasible in almost any market; much less at the kind of volume a retail outlet like GotVapes handles.

I'm not defending someone not standing behind a product; however you're acting like GotVapes and other retailers are somehow complicit in trying to defraud customers. Thats your false impression -- no one is trying to defraud anyone; there is simply poor quality control on the manufacturing side. As such, you have to expect inconsistencies. Thats manufacturing; and evenmoreso, thats manufacturing with poor checks in place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread