Vivi Nova tank wick getting gunked up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommykcleveland

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Cleveland Ohio
Hello fellow vapors, just have a question about the wicks in these tanks. I have a VZ Vari 3-6 volt Mod/APV and I am using the 3.5 ViVi Nova tank. When I start vaping it starts out smooth and clean, but one it gets just below the top of the wick, it is all gunked up and seems to be blocking the juice from making it into the atomizer once i fill it Im good again but the problem is that I have 3.5 of juice in this big tank and Im using probably .75 mg or a little more. I must be doing something wrong because I might as well get a 1mg tank and call it a day. Any tips on keeping that wick cleaner, or is there another problem that im not aware of, very possible with my limited experiences with tanks. The ratio I usually have on the juice is 60/40 and I have read that too much VG will cause clogging problems sometimes. Any ideas? I really love these tanks and being able to just replace the head and wick rather than a whole assembly.
Tom

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
You might want to try this. Remove the silicone cap that covers your atomizer (the silicone cap with the metal piece in it).
That's it. Simply remove it and reassemble your vnn without it. Vape away. I find this provides me with plenty of juice. I always keep my pv upright as I think the vvn will leak with this piece removed.

I have also removed that metal piece in the silicone cap, and then..
replace the silicone cap
(without the metal piece)

That provides a better experience for me too.

Tommykcleveland

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Cleveland Ohio
You might want to try this. Remove the silicone cap that covers your atomizer (the silicone cap with the metal piece in it).
That's it. Simply remove it and reassemble your vnn without it. Vape away. I find this provides me with plenty of juice. I always keep my pv upright as I think the vvn will leak with this piece removed.

replace the silicone cap

Great ill try it. Funny thing is now I have a burning problem with the new atty I put in. Just can't win sometimes. Thanks for the tip. I also try to keep it upright in general just for good measure.

Ken62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Weatherford, Texas
I took the rubber cap off of the atomizer and cut the paper/foam ring from around the coil, put it back together and no more burned flavors. That ring is designed to keep the coil from touching the side of the atomizer and shorting it out - I think - but all it does is interfere with juice delivery to the coil.

Tommykcleveland

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Cleveland Ohio
Using a thicker juice in my VIVI Nova as well, (HALO Belgian Cocoa) and it's becoming a bit of a nightmare. Would anyone recommend a better delivery method for thicker juices than the VIVI?

Following with interest.

I'm interested to know as well. If the vivi nova tank won't work for me I need to find a different tank set up that can still have the atty replaced to save cost of course.

dingo1799

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2012
IL
put it all back together like it was when you bought it, and cut one side of the wick halfway off. problem fixed. i vaped 100% vg juice for months like that, and only time it ever got dry was during hardcore chain vaping.

as for gunking..... some juices are just full of stuff that doesnt atomize. and seems like the darker or sweeter the juice, the worse it is.

Roidrage

Jul 20, 2011
Manila
as for gunking..... some juices are just full of stuff that doesnt atomize. and seems like the darker or sweeter the juice, the worse it is.

I so agree with this. I never had a problem with the wicking of my vivi nova. that's probably because I always use 50/50 VG/PG all the time. If you're into rebuilding, I suggest rebuild your nova with more wick of a smaller diameter.

It might work.

Grumpus

Verified Member
May 11, 2011
Louisville, KY
I was having similar issues with my tank as well. I decided to buy some wire and use some cotton to rebuild the coil and wick. Tasted very nice, but still had an issue with wicking and you don't want to dry hit cotton. After looking around and looking at the heads, I took my dremel to the area just at the bottom of the slit on both sides and opened then up. (If that makes any sense.) I also switched to a smaller diameter of wick and VIOLA. Hitting like a champ now and no dry burns. I use 100% VG but every tank gets 4-5 drops of PGA to help thin it a little. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The test is trying it with high pg juice. If it still doesn't well, the wick isn't being saturated. Removing the protective fabric cylinder from around the coil has fixed my problems, but then I vape 100% PG and 80/20 juices that are mostly clear to slight yellow or amber. Even cartos get gunked up quickly with dark and/or thick juices.

PBusardo likes the Kanger Protank with his Boba's Bounty. He takes out the top wick (there are three) and says that makes the Protank vape Boba's like a pro. The Protank is a bottom coil tank. The top two wicks are there for juice absorption and the bottom wick has the coil wrapped around it.

Tommykcleveland

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Cleveland Ohio
I have transitioned over to the Kanger T3 and love it. The bottom coil enables all of the juice to be vaped without a dry hit. I'm learning to rebuild the atomizers which has become a hobby at this point. I think the fabric around the coil in the VIVI gives off a bad taste. I am also trying to rebuild those, but have not done one yet. I intend on leaving it out, but as for the ones already built I can't figure out how to remove it without removing the coil, any ideas? My next purchase is the new Kanger Protank, it has great reviews so far. The bottom feed coil is the best I have found though. I don't know if other vendors make something similar, I have not seen any.

I guess I got lucky with my first Vivi Nova. it just works. I go 3.9-4.4 on my VV V2 Mega and the Vivi Nova just seems to kick ..., and it might be just me, but it seems better on my second week . I am awaiting another one and the metal tank and some more 2.8ohm heads to try, and I am kinda wanting to try and mod one just a bit based on some videos I saw. But I'm also kinda afraid to mess with what works.

bliss56

Jan 29, 2011
w. mass

replace the silicone cap

I've found this to be the same for me although after removing the small metal piece I get a stronger throat hit. Some people prefer that but I like smoother hits.

gzin44

Verified Member
Jun 18, 2012
Glasford,Il
Vivi Nova seems to work poorly with some juices. I have done the unwind and cut a V in ech side of the rubber piece. This is a short term fix. If you have problems with certain juices you can look at the coil and see it gets gunked up faster with some juices like coffee and chocolates. Just do the cuts flare the wicks and clean often you will be fine. They just require a more frequent cleaning with some juices. Also chain vaping mostly vg juice does not work with a Vivi Nova. If you are a chain (heavy) user like me you need to clean often and its easier just to get a different tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread