Status
Not open for further replies.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Just got an E-Mail from Volcano this morning announcing some new products they're going to be offering... A couple of mechs, rda's, new juice lines... Interesting stuff for them...

And then I saw this...

LAVATUBE 3 - VOLCANO e-Cigs

Pretty cool! I haven't seen a dna-40 in a tube mod yet. I like the button layout. The screen is very different for a DNA 40 device as well.

I like it! No price listed yet, and no release date... Just "Coming Soon"

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Hmm, is this thing using an ACTUAL evolv chip or is china getting really tricky?

There has been no mention (at least that ive seen) of another screen style DNA40 coming out and this seems like an unlikely device/manufacturer to be introducing something new/exclusive from evolv.

Very weird.

*EDIT* After re-reading the wording it has to be a clone chip and they're just continually referring to DNA40 technology, so i guess that means it regulates like all the DNA40/clones and not the yihi method. Tricky.

Reactions: Shigura

Shigura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lincoln, NE
Hmm, is this thing using an ACTUAL evolv chip or is china getting really tricky?

There has been no mention (at least that ive seen) of another screen style DNA40 coming out and this seems like an unlikely device/manufacturer to be introducing something new/exclusive from evolv.

Very weird.
Beaten to the punch, and I also agree with the above statement. What was throwing me off was the "technology" they kept throwing around in its description.

On a side note: does look pretty good for a tube mod

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Beaten to the punch, and I also agree with the above statement. What was throwing me off was the "technology" they kept throwing around in its description.

On a side note: does look pretty good for a tube mod

Yeah, check my edit, i think they're just being reeeaal tricky with their wording especially the "EvolvTM DNA 40 chip" part.

On the subject of the actual device, looks ok, but it definitely has to have a power lock because otherwise you would constantly be hitting the up/down buttons as you don't always land your finger directly on the button first time every time, imo.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
We do know that Evolv will package a DNA 40 board without a screen. It could be that Volcano went out and found a different screen to use with the DNA 40 chip.

Volcano is a US company, and would be subject to all US laws concerning any IP Evolv has claim to with the DNA 40. They do refer to it as the Evolv DNA 40 Chip Technology, but I don't think I'd read that as saying it's a clone. Volcano has too much skin in the game to get caught up in a lawsuit over something that silly.

I'm more inclined to believe it's a genuine Evolv DNA-40 board with a custom screen. I'll give Volcano the benefit of the doubt here... Innocent until proven guilty, that whole thing. Volcano hasn't had the best mods in the world, but they've always been honest at least...

I guess we'll find out when the reviews hit the street. Heck, I may tear one apart myself in the name of science! LoL

Shigura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lincoln, NE
We do know that Evolv will package a DNA 40 board without a screen. It could be that Volcano went out and found a different screen to use with the DNA 40 chip.

Volcano is a US company, and would be subject to all US laws concerning any IP Evolv has claim to with the DNA 40. They do refer to it as the Evolv DNA 40 Chip Technology, but I don't think I'd read that as saying it's a clone. Volcano has too much skin in the game to get caught up in a lawsuit over something that silly.

I'm more inclined to believe it's a genuine Evolv DNA-40 board with a custom screen. I'll give Volcano the benefit of the doubt here... Innocent until proven guilty, that whole thing. Volcano hasn't had the best mods in the world, but they've always been honest at least...

I guess we'll find out when the reviews hit the street. Heck, I may tear one apart myself in the name of science! LoL
Oh I didn't know they were making or going to make screen-less chips so that makes a whole lot of sense. Especially about lawsuits if it was in fact not an Evolv chip, but I digress I know little about Volcano. But I doubt anyone in the states is going to make a TC chip outside of Evolv's without getting taken to the cleaners over lawsuits.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Heck, a lot of the DNA-40 mods out there right now are using stock button locations. With the custom button layout here, and the different screen, that isn't a simple drill a hole and put a push rod in type of scenario. This thing had some R&D put into the design. That doesn't come cheap. At least $150, maybe closer to $200, although that would be a kick in the pants to the Volcano target market as the previous Lavatube models have all sold for $79.

But they didn't have DNA-40 boards either. They were all L-Rider / Vamo boards... Cheap crap...

This will be interesting to see how it plays out. I am sending out some feeler e-mails to both Volcano and Evolv to see if they can shed some light on at least whether or not this is a genuine Evolv board.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
I would agree with that... If they're going to attempt to compete with Hana / Vaporshark, I'd say they're going to need to keep the price below $130.

That said, I wouldn't underestimate the loyalty of the core of Volcano's customers. Volcano is extremely popular here in Hawaii, and although that seems like a small audience, if they can sell 100k of these things to Hawaiian customers who've never even heard of Vaporshark or Hana, they can dang near set whatever price they want. WE wouldn't buy them of course, but there is a large group of people that totally would...

I mean, they were selling the Lavatube V2.5 like hotcakes at $79... And that was a first gen Vamo in an aluminum body... They were selling a $30 mod for double the price because people didn't know any better. They also have local stores and offer a 1 year warranty on almost everything they sell so you can just walk in and swap it out if it breaks down on you.

This could end up being a very popular device.

Last edited:

CeeMee

May 31, 2015
I'm a close friend of a vape shop owner that sells Volcano products...and he told me that it does in fact have an Evolv rDNA 40 chip with custom screen and are supposed to retail at $139.99 with a rubber sleeve that slides onto the battery section for $7.99....unfortunately, it is still just as tall and wide as the previous Lavatube 2.5....and runs on a single 18650 battery with a usb charge port...still, it might be the only tube rDNA around and will be nice not to have to hold it awkwardly to see the screen.

Last edited:

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
I'm a close friend of a vape shop owner that sells Volcano products...and he told me that it does in fact have an Evolv rDNA 40 chip with custom screen and are supposed to retail at $139.99 with a rubber sleeve that slides onto the battery section for $7.99....unfortunately, it is still just as tall and wide as the previous Lavatube 2.5....and runs on a single 18650 battery with a usb charge port...still, it might be the only tube rDNA around and will be nice not to have to hold it awkwardly to see the screen.

Evolv doesn't have an rDNA40 board.... only DNA40 boards....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread