Voltage regulator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

namuch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Surprise,Az
Being impatient, I'm trying to pick up a voltage regulator from a local source before I order one from Ti. I found the following at my local Fry's Electronics:

FRYS.com | I.C'S/ Passives/ Discretes

Here is a link to the datasheet:
http://www.nteinc.com/specs/900to999/pdf/nte950.pdf

The actual model I'm looking at is the NTE977 which is 5v output.

From what I can tell by looking at the data sheet, this should perform well as long as the input voltage stays at or above 7v (which appears to be .5v better than the rad shack one), is that a correct assumption?

The mod I'm building is a tiny box mod using 2x 10440 3.7v protected batts. I figure as long as the combined average of the 2 batteries doesn't fall below 3.5v, then this thing should operate pretty well.

Anyone have any experience with this particular combination?

nick76

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2009
Salinas, CA
The TI PTN04050C is the best for 5V Mod, can get it free from TI sample account, just create one. I have 4 different models regulators but i only like that DC-DC boost converter, required only one 3.7V batt or 2 on parallel ( I use a 18650 batt, last me whole day of heavy vaping) easy to install, need only one 100uf cap, no heating issue, no wasting energy. I regret that ordered only 2x ,wish i could get couple more.

10440 is not protected and capacity is low. Since you spend time to make a Mod, use larger protected batt, wich would last you a day or more so you don't have to carry more batts- isn't it a main purpose of a Mod? Hope this help!

Nick

namuch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Surprise,Az
Actually, I have 4 protected 10440's. They are available if you know where to look. I get mine currently from LiteCig, since I purchased 2 Vapre-51's, and each one came with 2 protected 10440's. Also, there are some suppliers out there right now starting to sell them. They work like a champ btw..

Here is a link to the thread where some of the protected 10440 's have been spotted in the wild (outside of LiteCig):
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/48561-trustfire-10440-protected-dealextreme.html

Also, fwiw, I have been running my custom mod since yesterday afternoon, using the ratshack 5v regulator on 2 of those protected 10440's, and it is still going strong. I have yet to have a dropout. I'm trying to see what kind of battery life I can expect using this regulator while I wait for my TI ones to come in. So far I'm pretty impressed. I checked the individual battery voltage on each bat in my mod this morning, and they are both still putting out 3.6 - 3.9 volts. I built this mod to use Kr808 cartomizers exclusively (although I can use my 901 as well), so I really don't know what the battery life will be like using a "normal" atomizer. But if I can keep this thing going throughout today without a dropout, then I think I'm on to something.

One last thing, the regulator I picked up from ratshack is a 7805A, not a 7805C that I see most members posting about the high dropout voltage. Some quick n dirty searches for the 7805A is not turning up any hits or data sheets, so I don't know what it's stats are other than the 5v output part...

opuscroakus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Angelo, Tx
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread