The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Volts to Watts Conversion? How Can You Compare Mechanical & VV/VW Mods Performance?

Discussion in 'Ask The Veterans' started by ModBox, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ModBox

ModBox Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 4, 2013
    United Kingdom
    I'm thinking of getting another vv/vw device and want to be able to get the same power as a mech mod I'm currently using so I'm trying, unsucessfully to work it out. I've seen these new 20w - 35w devices so how does that translate in mech mod terms?

Do mech mods start at 4.2V and work their way down to 3.6V so the max voltage you can get is 4.2V (without a kick)?

If so doesn't this mean that my MVP can actually have more power when on 5 volts? For some reason 11 watts doesn't seem as powerful as my mech but I would assume 11 watts should = the full 5V so i'm confused (I've never used it in voltage mode).

I'm currently using Sony VTC 5 18650s with my private v2 and taifun gt clones - my last coil was 1.6 ohms and my current is 1.3 ohms.

2. steved5600

steved5600 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Ok a Mech uses voltages between 3.4 and 4.2 volts. Depending on the charge of the battery. The atty resistance remains unchanged so as the battery is drained wattage and voltage drops. VV's and VW's can produce more wattage but are limited in what resistance they can handle. Most can not go below 1.2-1.5 ohms. Mechs can. Most of he newer ones you speak of can go as low as .5 ohms. They can go between 20 and 35 watts. If you want to use low resistance attys like dual and quad coil rebuildables and you want a constant output you should go with one of them. Right now they are ripe for the picking the prices are dropping. Vamo even came out with one but right now you can only pre order it as it has not yet been released. Should be shipping in about 3-5 weeks. I have one on order LOL. I use my mechs but i am a VW lover i like that constant wattage. IF you don't go below 1.5 ohm you can use almost any vw. I would not buy a provari. Over priced.
    You can't convert voltage to wattage with out knowing the Resistance. There is an android app called vape tool i believe that will calculate coils and voltage/wattage etc. Wattage is voltage x amperage or Voltage squared / resistance. I'm attaching an exel spread sheet that i made that will do that calculation for you. it does a few more things you might find useful.

View attachment ecig calculators.xlsx

3. novamatt

novamatt Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2010
    Washington, DC area
    The reason your 4.2v mech mod is more powerful than the MVP, even though the MVP can give you more voltage, is the resistance of your atomizer. When you start talking about "power" in vaping, you're usually talking about wattage, and wattage is based on the relationship between the volts you're putting out and the resistance of the atomizer it's going through.

For example, If you're vaping at 5 volts on your MVP on a 2.5 ohm atty, that's 12.5 watts, which is about the most an MVP can handle. But if you put a .7 ohm coil on your mech mod at 4.2 volts, now you're vaping at 25.2 watts, which will be almost twice as powerful.

The mathematical formula to figure out wattage is voltage squared divided by resistance, but you can use this link to figure it out for you. Plug in 4.2 volts and the resistance of the coil you use on your mech, and it will tell you how many watts you've been vaping at. Then you can see how it compares to the 20W and 35W devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.