hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I have to say that I’m rather excited to be here with you today with a review of an actual mod/tank kit instead of another pod review. I don’t dislike pods but the market has become very saturated and I’ve reviewed a lot of pods. It’s a nice break to get a real mod/tank combination to break things up. So without further ado, I am here today to talk with you about the new Voopoo Argus XT 100W kit that was sent to me by Voopoo in order to provide a fair and honest review. Voopoo has come out with some really great products in the past so I have high hopes for this one. The XT mod is compatible with either 18650 or 21700 batteries and will deliver either 80 or 100 watts maximum depending on the battery installed. I personally think this is a smart and important feature. Too many times I’ve seen mods rated at 100 watts and only use an 18650 battery which in my opinion isn’t enough battery for 100 watts. The XT is powered by the Gene TT 2.0 chip and supports Smart, RBA, Turbo, and TC vaping modes. The XT is IP68 rated tri-proof and has a 3A Type C charging port with a dustproof cover. It also has the QS lock switch that I will talk about later.

The XT kit comes with the MATT Tank that has a liquid capacity of 6.5ml and has an easy top filling system. It uses a volcano crater structure design to prevent leakage and two way airflow for optimum DL vaping. The MATT Tank is compatible with the TPP series of coils.

MqQTiGk.jpg

p0GnZr3.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1* VOOPOO Argus XT Device
    1* VOOPOO Matt Tank New (6.5ml)
    1* TPP-DM1 0.15Ω Coil
    1* TPP-DM2 0.2Ω Coil
    1* Type-C Cable
    1* User Manual
    1* Glass Container
    1* Silicon Rubber Pack
    1* 18650 Battery Adapter

BEIxAbN.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:

Battery Type: Single external 18650/21700 battery (Not Included)

Output Power: 5-100W

Output Voltage: 0-8.5V

Resistance Range: 0.05-3.0Ω

Charging Voltage : Type-C 5V/3A

Capacity: 6.5ml (Standard)

Filling: Top filling

Fit For VOOPOO Matt Tank New, VOOPOO TPP Coil

Color: Silver Gray, Graphite, Carbon Fiber, Lime Green, Dark Blue

C3uPTdt.jpg

FEATURES:

1. Holeless appearance and leather-metal mixed material

2. Designed with lanyard rings, convenient to carry

3. Turbo mod for extreme boosting vapor experience

4. Single external 18650/21700 battery with Type-C charging

5. GENE TT 2.0 Chip with Smart, RBA, Turbo and TC mode

6. IP68 rating tri-proof function, durable in use

7. Humanized QS lock to avoid accidental igniting or switching

8. 6.5ml e-juice capacity, easy top filling system

9. Adopts volcano crater structure to prevent leakage

10. Two-way airflow for easy deep DL vaping

11. Dual In One Tech 2.0 mesh coils with denser flavor and longer lifespan

12. Compatible with VOOPOO Maat Tank New and all TPP Coils

13. Seven safety protections to guarantee the safe use

tAHw76k.jpg

tsq15ra.jpg

jMd5N4P.jpg

JZFTUTo.jpg

yMA0AgS.jpg

9wXChFS.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

Voopoo really did a nice job on the packaging for the XT. It is in a metal tin much like the container that the Argus II arrived in. There is a color sleeve over the metal tin with a color picture of the XT and a few features. Mine of course was marked as a sample.

Once the tin is opened, the Argus XT, Maat Tank, spare glass tank section, and the accessory box is visible in the plastic insert. Inside the accessory box is a USB-C charging cable and the two included TPP series coils. There is also an 18650 battery adapter already installed in the XT mod since it is capable of using a 21700 battery or and 18650 battery with the adapter.

1661385875622.png

1661385909584.png

I received the silver grey version for my review. I think it’s obvious why it’s called that but the padded leather like material on the sides is grey but the back stitched panel is green. On the left side of the mod is the GENE TT logo but there is no other branding on the right side. Stamped into the green material on the back is the ARGUS XT with a little triangle on the top that looks like a mountain or something. Near the top on the back side is a lanyard ring. I’ve never been a fan of lanyards myself and to me the XT seems rather big to be carrying it around on a lanyard.

1661385961328.png

1661385989091.png

It’s interesting to me that the 510 top plate was made to be the same shape as the mod. It is pretty large and will accommodate a tank with a base up to 28mm without overhang. The 510 center pin is gold plated and spring loaded.

The battery for the XT is loaded through the bottom of the mod via a hinged door. There is a door release with an arrow on it indicating which direction to slide it to open the door. I have also found it handy to slide this when inserting a battery to help it to close easier. Once opened for the first time you will find the 18650 adapter inside. I immediately removed it since I prefer to use 21700 batteries when I have the option. The only battery polarity marking is on the underneath side of the battery door contact.

1661386038442.png

1661386066381.png

The front of the XT is definitely the star of the show here. Near the top of the mod is the QS Lock Switch. When the switch is all the way to the left then it locks the device completely from adjustment and firing. In the center position it is unlocked and all controls are available. In the right position only the adjustment buttons are locked. I personally love this feature. It’s great to be able to just flip a switch and not have to worry about accidental adjustment or firing. It’s difficult to see in my picture but there is a symbol underneath each position of the switch to help you remember which position does what. There is a lock on the left, a dotted line in the middle, and a circle with a line on the right.

Below the QS Switch is the nice sized fire button that has a nice click and feel to it. The display screen is next followed by the +/- adjustment rocker switch. Near the bottom is a flip down cover that protects the USB-C charging/update port. It not only helps to maintain the IP68 rating but also gives the front of the mod a very clean and smooth appearance.

The display screen gives the following information.

• SET WATTAGE
    • MODE OF OPERATION(SMART, RBA, TURBO, TC)
    • BATTERY LEVEL INDICATOR WITH PERCENTAGE DISPLAY
    • PUFF COUNTER
    • COIL RESISTANCE
    • OUTPUT VOLTAGE WHILE FIRING
    • LENGTH OF TIME OF CURRENT PUFF
    Just like about every Voopoo mod that I remember trying, if you leave the XT sit for several minutes then go back to use it then you have to push the fire button twice to fire it. They have a built in safety so if it gets hit by accident once then it just wakes the mod up but doesn’t fire. I’m not a big fan of this feature but I understand why they do it.

The menu system for the XT and MT are the same and use the same Gene TT chipset. The menu and button operation are as follows.

• Press the fire button five times to turn the mod on/off
    • Press the fire button and – button to do a puff counter reset if you don’t want to do it through the menu
    • Press the + and – buttons to enter the menu system where you can choose between Mode, Setting, About Device, and exit
    • In Mode selection you can choose between Smart, RBA, Turbo, or TC
    • In the Setting selection you can reset the puff counter, choose to adjust the screen brightness or change the display type
    Each of the four modes is displayed in a different color.

• Turbo = Red
    • Smart = Orange
    • RBA = Blue
    • TC = Green
    1661386125423.png

1661386158627.png

QJJwZXV.jpg

Hopefully I have covered the XT mod well enough so we can now take a look at the MAAT tank that was included in the XT and MT kits but with different coils. The XT kit came with the TPP- DM1 at .15 ohms and the DM2 at .2 ohms while the XT came with the same DM2 .2 ohm coil but also included a DM4 which is .3 ohms.

As always, it’s definitely always a good idea to break down a tank as far as possible for cleaning so that’s what I did with the MAAT Tank. It comes with what I consider to be a very nice 810 drip tip with a stainless beauty ring on the bottom to match the tank. The o rings are on the tip on this one rather than inside the top cap. The top cap on this one is a little different than most bayonet style caps I’ve seen on most tanks where the center is how it locks in place. On the MAAT tank there is a lip sticking out on either side of the outside edge of the underneath side of the cap that locks onto the body of the tank with somewhere between 1/8 and ¼ of a turn. This can be seen in the second picture below.

The top of the fill ports is covered by a gasket with a small hole in each side. I know some people like these gaskets but I personally don’t. If you’ve ever tried to fill a tank with a gasket with a glass dropper then you know it makes quite the mess. However, I also use some 10 and 50ml dropper bottles that work fine with this type of fill system. The MAAT tank has a capacity of 6.5ml.

The TPP coils simply push into the bottom of the tank to seal and then the bottom cap that contains the airflow control is screwed on. The inside of the base has three gold plated contacts to help transfer the power from the mod to the tank. There is a complete range of TPP coils that can be used on the MAAT tank.

1661386284610.png

1661386312009.png

0lePJEd.jpg

GljTP7y.jpg

sZRpFZd.jpg

4Mef4Cx.jpg

The airflow of the tank mimics the design of a volcano to prevent leakage. The actual airflow control on the base is rather different from other tanks I’ve seen. There are two metal sliders that protrude a little to make it easier to adjust the airflow. The two openings are quite wide and allow massive amounts of airflow. There are vertical lines on the airflow slider to help the user keep track of where it is set. Not really necessary but a nice feature none the less.

kBAyvo4.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I feel like Voopoo has really hit the ball out of the park with the Argus XT kit. I have very much enjoyed testing it and plan on keeping it in rotation for some time to come. It is packed with features but easy to use and performs very well.

I tested both coils with the same 3mg liquid that I have used many times for testing review tanks. The .2 ohm coil rated for 40-60 watts worked very well for me at 45 watts with the airflow at about ¼ - 1/3 open. I did go as high as 48 but eventually went back to 45. The flavor production was very good and it provided large amounts of vapor.

Next I tried the .15 ohm coil rated for 60-80 watts. Honestly those high of settings are a little out of my comfort zone but did push it into the lower 60 range just to try it. I eventually settled back to 53 watts with the airflow about ¼ open and liked it very much there. Once again, the flavor was very good and even larger amounts of vapor were produced. I kind of prefer the .2 ohm coil because of the operating range but this one performed very well also. I don’t think you could go wrong with either one.

The XT mod itself is fantastic in my opinion. There was no trouble with accidental opening of the battery door even after a few fairly hard taps on my desk. I love the QS lock switch that allows me to quickly disable the adjustment buttons or the mod completely. If I had one complaint on the mod it would be the size of the font on the lower end of the display screen. My eyes aren’t getting any younger and in lower light I had difficulty seeing the bottom of the display. I feel like the wattage display could have been a little smaller to allow for the bottom information to be larger.

I almost never use the Smart mode on any mod but definitely see where it is a good feature to have for beginners. I mostly used the RBA mode but did try the Turbo mode and it almost made the vape seem smoother or something. I understand it’s supposed to give a boost at the beginning but the entire vape seemed smoother to me.

So I think it’s obvious but would I recommend the Voopoo Argus XT kit for you? Definitely! There’s really not much to not like about this kit. I’d like to thank Voopoo and Nical for sending the Argus XT kit for my review. Thanks go out to you the reader and thanks for making it to the end. Below is a link to the website for your viewing pleasure.

ARGUS MT XT-VOOPOO VAPE Spark Your Life

Qej0IK8.jpg

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Excellent review!

I agree about the "very nice 810" drip tip.
    I picked up two from my local VS, and they have become my new favorites. :thumbs:

Cheers
    I
    Thanks. Nice tips are a good little added feature that shows they are trying a little harder.

• Agree
    Reactions: Izan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread