Voopoo Drag with Nichrome -- WORKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I did a forum search before this, but found no threads relating to this.

But I'm kinda curious if others have also tried nichrome coils in their Voopoo drag? And what their results may have been? (People can enable the nichrome setting via the software.)

I've only tried a couple coils or so, but it seems as if ni-80 may be a bit better than ni-60. Both types tested were with twisted coils with some kanthal for strength.

It sure beats the heck out of the 2 (early-death) Kangar mods, which both had settings for nichrome. In fact, I never actually got those to work with nichrome at all - even single-wire ni-60/80. The fact that it seems to work at all on the Voopoo Drag, to me, is a testament to it's superb temp control ability. I just wish it didn't hurt to hold for very long, due to it's rather sharp corners.

Mind you, I still don't think it's best wire to use for temp control even on the Drag. And I think it doesn't totally prevent dry-burns on the Drag, but it sure seems quite close to doing so. Plus it's just plain neat to have an approximation of temp control working with nichrome. :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Really nichrome and a built in setting for it that can't be enabled.

IDK it kind of sounds to me (no offense) from your results that you aren't quite getting "TC" from that coil and mod. Are you adding your own TCR for it? And also "mostly works with some dry hits?" doesn't sound like true TC to me, I sort of think it may be safer to run it in wattage mode.

Although I am not you experiencing your real world results so I'm not trying to be challenging, I just wonder quite how well it is actually "working."

Anna

Reactions: mackman

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Really nichrome and a built in setting for it that can't be enabled.

IDK it kind of sounds to me (no offense) from your results that you aren't quite getting "TC" from that coil and mod. Are you adding your own TCR for it? And also "mostly works with some dry hits?" doesn't sound like true TC to me, I sort of think it may be safer to run it in wattage mode.

Although I am not you experiencing your real world results so I'm not trying to be challenging, I just wonder quite how well it is actually "working."

Yeah, I tried changing the title to add "(mostly)", but it wouldn't let me. :)

Not my own TCR.. When going through the software to enable it, it's set at whatever it was initially. I think it was a nonsensical '400' or so. But that's also a weird thing that I note about the Drag - none of the preset TCR's shown line up with what they're supposed to be. Very strange. But they all work regardless. And I even changed one to a known TCR for my SS304, and it worked as well... So I don't understand the default TCR's shown.

It works well enough that I think I'm basically going to set aside the Drag as my nichrome 'temp control' device. I got a whole mass of NiCr-80 in hopes of it working in TC with my now dead Kangertech devices (that also had a NiCr setting), but wouldn't work at all in those. With the Drag, it works 'well enough'. You can try slowing your inhale, and the drag will, in fact, reduce the power. It prevents dry hits up to a good point, but if you keep going when the coil gets bone dry, it will still end up burning the rayon at 420F. But as I say, it works well enough that it could absolutely be called Near Temp Control.
(And for that matter, it works better in TC than many of my older devices would with regular TC-wire. :w00t: )

If you watch a YT video with Brandon from Evolv explaining how the new Replay feature works.. He mentions that it needs a TC type of material to work - and that it includes nichrome. He said the only wire type it won't work with is kanthal. So it definitely seems as if nichrome TC is possible/workable - I suppose with a sensor capable of detecting it. And apparently that includes DNA 75C, and the Gene chip(set).

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread