Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Hello again and welcome back for todays review of the new Drag X Plus Professional Edition mod from Voopoo. I reviewed the Drag X Plus when it was being released on Jan 29th of this year, I'll leave a link if you missed it VOOPOO DRAG X PLUS KIT REVIEWED BY BIGBOB2322 . Your probably asking yourself what is different with the professional edition, there are a couple of upgrades that have been done that will make some people very happy and later on I'll discuss what the changes are and how well they are. First off as always let's get to know the Drag X Plus Professional Edition .

COLOR CHOICES

2-jpg.250186

INCLUDED WITH THE device

20210709_150402.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

VOOPOO Drag X Plus mod Professional Edition

Brand VOOPOO

Product Name Drag X Plus Professional Edition Mod

Battery Single 18650/21700 battery(not included)

Output Wattage Range 5-100W

Output 8.5V max

Material Zinc, Leather

Output Mode VW, SMART, RBA

Screen Display 0.96 inch TFT screen

Thread 510

Charging Type-C charging

Color Black-Black, Black-Coffee, Silver-Grey, Silver-Retro Brown, Silver-Blue

PARAMETERS

Size 139.8 x 34.5 x 28mm 141 x 35 x 29mm

Material Zinc Alloy, Leather, PCTG

Battery single 18650/ 21700 battery(Not Included)

Output 5-100W

Output modes VW, Smart, RBA

Input voltage 3.2-4.2V

Screen 0.96 inch TFT display, dual UI themes

Resistance range 0.1-3.0Ω

Chipset GENE FAN 2.0 chip

Ignition 0.001s firing speed

Charging Type-C, 5V/2A

UNIVERSAL 510 CONNECTION

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_510_Platform.jpg

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_PnP_Platforms.jpg

SMART MODE AND RBA MODE

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_Two_Modes.jpg

21700 OR 18650 WITH INCLUDED BATTERY ADAPTER TUBE

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_Battery_Type.jpg

100 WATT OUTPUT

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_100W_max.jpg

GENE FAN 2.0 CHIP

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_Chip.jpg

DUAL UI - ( CORE ) - ( IRON )

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_Dual_UI.jpg

EIGHT SAFETY PROTECTIONS

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_Safety_Protections.jpg

NOW WITH NEW BOOST CIRCUIT

%E6%81%92%E5%8E%8B6-3-jpg.250189

drag-x-plus-pro-boost.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

After opening the package up and sliding the container out of the sleeve I was very pleased that Voopoo stayed with the leather wrapped spine on the new upgraded Drag X Plus device. I was sent a sample device only and not the kit that includes the TPP Pod/Tank, the final retail version should be the same as what was sent to me though, I just need to mention it. It's still as beautiful as the original Drag X Plus device. I received the Silver Grey color and as you saw in the color choices there isn't a bad one, I wish I was sent 2 colors to show you all.

20210706_130434.jpg

One of the changes that was done on the new Drag X Plus Professional device is a cosmetic one that involves the lettering on the leather covered spine of the device. On the original Drag X Plus the lettering had a more blocky wider look to it, the new one has a more detailed sharper appearance being cut deeper in the leather. The original reviewed Drag X Plus is in a gunmetal frame while the new one is in a silver frame. The only cosmetic change that was done on the new professional edition is with the leather.

20210706_144709.jpg

In this closer view you can see the detail a little better, deeper engraving in the leather. I think it really improves the look and makes the lettering's appearance really pop.

20210706_135353.jpg

The 510 up top hasn't changed and is still spring loaded with a slightly stiff throw to it.

20210707_152733.jpg

The battery door also remains the same as well and is as solid as the original. Battery polarity is marked on the inside of the battery door with a negative symbol, as the original had no positive marking inside the battery tube the new Drag X Plus is without one also.

20210711_073659.jpg

20210708_141859.jpg

As I mentioned earlier I was sent the device only but wanted to include the TPP Pod/Tank in testing the new professional edition. As you can see the front of the device has not been changed from the original with all buttons in the same location as well as the type-c charge port. The display is the same and the two choices of UI are included also ( core ) - ( iron ). Below is the vertical iron UI that is more suited for the display screens quick glance, the core UI has a horizontal appearance , the smart mode ( yellow color screen ) is pictured with the S letter next to the wattage being displayed. The smart mode is a fantastic feature that I believe Voopoo introduced and is beginning to show up on other manufacturers devices which only allows wattage to be raised to the maximum wattage a Voopoo coils maximum wattage rating will allow, protecting the user from burning up a coil. There is a best recommendation from a minimum to a maximum for each Voopoo coil and the smart mode sets it automatically at the best minimum.

The display screen is still bright and vivid and still has the same layout and information laid out in the exact same order as the original Drag X Plus. I'll list the display below from left to right and top to bottom.

* Name ( DRAG )

* Battery Bar

* Wattage

* Mode

* Puff Counter

* Ohms Resistance

* Volts

* Seconds Vaped

* Last Vape Time Vaped Graph

20210708_153511.jpg

As with the original Drag X Plus the new Professional Edition Drag X Plus also has a RBA mode that goes up as high as 100 watts. When in RBA mode the display screen changes from a yellow screen to a blue screen and the S letter changes to R ( RBA ). The smart coil function is eliminated when your in RBA mode, both UI can be used in RBA mode as well.

I mentioned earlier there were a couple of upgrades on the Professional Edition Drag X Plus, one that I've already shown is the cosmetic change, the other change is on the chip. The original Drag X Plus never had a boost feature which could cause the device to not fire if the battery was low and depending on your build in RBA mode could cause a long time to ramp up.

With the new Drag X Plus Professional Edition now having boost that problem has been eliminated. I wanted see and confirm that the 8.5 volt output that Voopoo claimed was indeed reaching 8.5 volts so I built a 1.2Ω coil of 24 gauge kanthal wire to check ramp up time on the original Drag X Plus vs the Drag X Plus Professional Edition. I'm sorry for the poor quality of photos but my camera broke down. The first picture is of the original Drag X Plus under load ( fire button pressed ) with a output of 3.8 volts, notice the coil hasn't even begun to glow at 60 watts.

20210711_071132.jpg

Pictured below is the same atomizer and coil on the new Drag X Plus Professional Edition and voltage shows a big increase with the boost circuit kicking in with 8.48 volts output under load ( fire button pressed ). You can see the coil glowing at 60 watts.

20210711_065209.jpg

I know I sound like a broken record but everything is the same except the new Professional Edition has boost and a better looking leather spine. Everything I covered in my review of the original Drag X Plus that I left a link to in the beginning of this review is in the new and improved Drag X Plus Professional Edition including the menu that consists of a few button combinations that I'll list below.

* On/Off - 5 presses of the fire button

* Lock/Unlock Of Entire Device - Press and hold fire and plus buttons simultaneously

* Clear Puff Counter - Press and hold fire and minus buttons simultaneously

* To Change Display UI - Press and hold plus and minus button simultaneously then up or down buttons to switch between the two

* To Check The Chip ID Version And Level Code - Press and hold all 3 buttons simultaneously

FINAL IMPRESSIONS

If your already a owner of a Drag X Plus you can see that two things have been upgraded and the big one is the boost circuit is now on the professional edition and the other being a cosmetic change with deeper engraving on the leather spine.

In my opinion the boost circuit makes a big difference, it's happened to me with the original that sometimes a low battery will not allow the device to operate depending on what build or coil is used or installed.

The cosmetic change definitely improves the look but the old look is still attractive as well.

Function wise they are both the same and give a great vape whatever atomizer or pod is used, the original has stayed in my personal rotation of devices since I reviewed in January, so that should tell you how much I enjoy using it.

So if you were to ask me if you should pick one up and do I recommend it even if you have the original, my answer would be of course a big yes. If you do a lot of different builds you know the Drag X Plus Professional Edition will be able to handle any build outputting 8.5 volts.

The problem of low battery no power is a thing of the past with the new improved Drag X Plus Professional Edition.

I would like to thank Chloe and Voopoo for providing the Drag X Plus Professional Edition device for the purpose of this review. I also hope that this review has helped anyone looking to purchase either the device or the kit that includes the TPP Pod/Tank.

THANK YOU
    BIGBOB2322

Last edited:

Javichu

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    As always a pleasure to read one of your reviews.

Always been a fan of single battery mods and i like the looks of this one,not a fan of the battery door thou.
    Don't know why but i always prefer the threaded screw in type battery cover,like the Jackaroo or the Grus.

Apart from that it is a fine looking mod.

cheers

Resistance

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2020
    Hello again and welcome back for todays review of the new Drag X Plus Professional Edition mod from Voopoo. I reviewed the Drag X Plus when it was being released on Jan 29th of this year, I'll leave a link if you missed it VOOPOO DRAG X PLUS KIT REVIEWED BY BIGBOB2322 . Your probably asking yourself what is different with the professional edition, there are a couple of upgrades that have been done that will make some people very happy and later on I'll discuss what the changes are and how well they are. First off as always let's get to know the Drag X Plus Professional Edition .

COLOR CHOICES

2-jpg.250186

INCLUDED WITH THE DEVICE

View attachment 948649

SPECIFICATIONS

VOOPOO Drag X Plus Mod Professional Edition

Brand VOOPOO

Product Name Drag X Plus Professional Edition Mod

Battery Single 18650/21700 battery(not included)

Output Wattage Range 5-100W

Output 8.5V max

Material Zinc, Leather

Output Mode VW, SMART, RBA

Screen Display 0.96 inch TFT screen

Thread 510

Charging Type-C charging

Color Black-Black, Black-Coffee, Silver-Grey, Silver-Retro Brown, Silver-Blue

PARAMETERS

Size 139.8 x 34.5 x 28mm 141 x 35 x 29mm

Material Zinc Alloy, Leather, PCTG

Battery single 18650/ 21700 battery(Not Included)

Output 5-100W

Output modes VW, Smart, RBA

Input voltage 3.2-4.2V

Screen 0.96 inch TFT display, dual UI themes

Resistance range 0.1-3.0Ω

Chipset GENE FAN 2.0 chip

Ignition 0.001s firing speed

Charging Type-C, 5V/2A

UNIVERSAL 510 CONNECTION

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_510_Platform.jpg

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_PnP_Platforms.jpg

SMART MODE AND RBA MODE

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_Two_Modes.jpg

21700 OR 18650 WITH INCLUDED BATTERY ADAPTER TUBE

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_Battery_Type.jpg

100 WATT OUTPUT

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_100W_max.jpg

GENE FAN 2.0 CHIP

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_Chip.jpg

DUAL UI - ( CORE ) - ( IRON )

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_Dual_UI.jpg

EIGHT SAFETY PROTECTIONS

VOOPOO_Drag_X_Plus_Professional_Edition_Kit_Safety_Protections.jpg

NOW WITH NEW BOOST CIRCUIT

drag-x-plus-pro-boost.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

After opening the package up and sliding the container out of the sleeve I was very pleased that Voopoo stayed with the leather wrapped spine on the new upgraded Drag X Plus device. I was sent a sample device only and not the kit that includes the TPP Pod/Tank, the final retail version should be the same as what was sent to me though, I just need to mention it. It's still as beautiful as the original Drag X Plus device. I received the Silver Grey color and as you saw in the color choices there isn't a bad one, I wish I was sent 2 colors to show you all.

View attachment 948651

One of the changes that was done on the new Drag X Plus Professional device is a cosmetic one that involves the lettering on the leather covered spine of the device. On the original Drag X Plus the lettering had a more blocky wider look to it, the new one has a more detailed sharper appearance being cut deeper in the leather. The original reviewed Drag X Plus is in a gunmetal frame while the new one is in a silver frame. The only cosmetic change that was done on the new professional edition is with the leather.

View attachment 948653

In this closer view you can see the detail a little better, deeper engraving in the leather. I think it really improves the look and makes the lettering's appearance really pop.

View attachment 948655

The 510 up top hasn't changed and is still spring loaded with a slightly stiff throw to it.

View attachment 948657

The battery door also remains the same as well and is as solid as the original. Battery polarity is marked on the inside of the battery door with a negative symbol, as the original had no positive marking inside the battery tube the new Drag X Plus is without one also.

View attachment 948659

View attachment 948661

As I mentioned earlier I was sent the device only but wanted to include the TPP Pod/Tank in testing the new professional edition. As you can see the front of the device has not been changed from the original with all buttons in the same location as well as the type-c charge port. The display is the same and the two choices of UI are included also ( core ) - ( iron ). Below is the vertical iron UI that is more suited for the display screens quick glance, the core UI has a horizontal appearance , the smart mode ( yellow color screen ) is pictured with the S letter next to the wattage being displayed. The smart mode is a fantastic feature that I believe Voopoo introduced and is beginning to show up on other manufacturers devices which only allows wattage to be raised to the maximum wattage a Voopoo coils maximum wattage rating will allow, protecting the user from burning up a coil. There is a best recommendation from a minimum to a maximum for each Voopoo coil and the smart mode sets it automatically at the best minimum.

The display screen is still bright and vivid and still has the same layout and information laid out in the exact same order as the original Drag X Plus. I'll list the display below from left to right and top to bottom.

* Name ( DRAG )

* Battery Bar

* Wattage

* Mode

* Puff Counter

* Ohms Resistance

* Volts

* Seconds Vaped

* Last Vape Time Vaped Graph

View attachment 948663

As with the original Drag X Plus the new Professional Edition Drag X Plus also has a RBA mode that goes up as high as 100 watts. When in RBA mode the display screen changes from a yellow screen to a blue screen and the S letter changes to R ( RBA ). The smart coil function is eliminated when your in RBA mode, both UI can be used in RBA mode as well.

I mentioned earlier there were a couple of upgrades on the Professional Edition Drag X Plus, one that I've already shown is the cosmetic change, the other change is on the chip. The original Drag X Plus never had a boost feature which could cause the device to not fire if the battery was low and depending on your build in RBA mode could cause a long time to ramp up.

With the new Drag X Plus Professional Edition now having boost that problem has been eliminated. I wanted see and confirm that the 8.5 volt output that Voopoo claimed was indeed reaching 8.5 volts so I built a 1.2Ω coil of 24 gauge kanthal wire to check ramp up time on the original Drag X Plus vs the Drag X Plus Professional Edition. I'm sorry for the poor quality of photos but my camera broke down. The first picture is of the original Drag X Plus under load ( fire button pressed ) with a output of 3.8 volts, notice the coil hasn't even begun to glow at 60 watts.

View attachment 948685

Pictured below is the same atomizer and coil on the new Drag X Plus Professional Edition and voltage shows a big increase with the boost circuit kicking in with 8.48 volts output under load ( fire button pressed ). You can see the coil glowing at 60 watts.

View attachment 948687

I know I sound like a broken record but everything is the same except the new Professional Edition has boost and a better looking leather spine. Everything I covered in my review of the original Drag X Plus that I left a link to in the beginning of this review is in the new and improved Drag X Plus Professional Edition including the menu that consists of a few button combinations that I'll list below.

* On/Off - 5 presses of the fire button

* Lock/Unlock Of Entire Device - Press and hold fire and plus buttons simultaneously

* Clear Puff Counter - Press and hold fire and minus buttons simultaneously

* To Change Display UI - Press and hold plus and minus button simultaneously then up or down buttons to switch between the two

* To Check The Chip ID Version And Level Code - Press and hold all 3 buttons simultaneously

FINAL IMPRESSIONS

If your already a owner of a Drag X Plus you can see that two things have been upgraded and the big one is the boost circuit is now on the professional edition and the other being a cosmetic change with deeper engraving on the leather spine.

In my opinion the boost circuit makes a big difference, it's happened to me with the original that sometimes a low battery will not allow the device to operate depending on what build or coil is used or installed.

The cosmetic change definitely improves the look but the old look is still attractive as well.

Function wise they are both the same and give a great vape whatever atomizer or pod is used, the original has stayed in my personal rotation of devices since I reviewed in January, so that should tell you how much I enjoy using it.

So if you were to ask me if you should pick one up and do I recommend it even if you have the original, my answer would be of course a big yes. If you do a lot of different builds you know the Drag X Plus Professional Edition will be able to handle any build outputting 8.5 volts.

The problem of low battery no power is a thing of the past with the new improved Drag X Plus Professional Edition.

I would like to thank Chloe and Voopoo for providing the Drag X Plus Professional Edition device for the purpose of this review. I also hope that this review has helped anyone looking to purchase either the device or the kit that includes the TPP Pod/Tank.

THANK YOU
    BIGBOB2322
    Good review.real thorough. It was a good read.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Good review Bob! I was just notified of the release of the new Drag S Pro and Drag X Pro rocking the Gene Fan 3.0 chip, and was running around comparing the stats. I notice on some sites, that the Drag X Plus Pro is advertised as only having a 4.2V max output; that being the whole reason I was interested in the DXPP version of the original Plus. For the every day regular low ohm coilhead/build, the Plus does 90% of it just fine. A few builds I have can't be budged with the Plus only however. I'm glad you addressed/clarified that in your review. I have a few of them on the way. =)

Reactions: bigbob2322

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Good review Bob! I was just notified of the release of the new Drag S Pro and Drag X Pro rocking the Gene Fan 3.0 chip, and was running around comparing the stats. I notice on some sites, that the Drag X Plus Pro is advertised as only having a 4.2V max output; that being the whole reason I was interested in the DXPP version of the original Plus. For the every day regular low ohm coilhead/build, the Plus does 90% of it just fine. A few builds I have can't be budged with the Plus only however. I'm glad you addressed/clarified that in your review. I have a few of them on the way. =)
    The new Drags should be at my house today or tomorrow.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread