VOOPOO X217 TC Box MOD - Dual 21700's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the X217 TC Box mod from Voopoo and Woody Vapes. The X217 TC Box mod was supplied for the purpose of this review by Thea from Voopoo.

VOOPOO VAPE - Spark Your Moments - Drag|Vape wholesale|Vapour cigarettes|E cigs|E cigarettes|E cigarettes supplies|The vape of young people

Introduction

The X217 is the long awaited dual 21700 device hosting the Gene.Fan chip, and is said to be a Voopoo and Woody Vapes collaboration. Woody Vapes developed the Gene Chip and was taken over by Voopoo which saw Voopoo's entry into the vaping market. I was always under the impression (others will be more in the know than me) that Woody Vapes manufactured Voopoo designed products so can only think more devices under the Woody Vapes brand are going to be released in the near future so this is a way of getting the name out there. Being a dual 21700 device means it will also accommodate dual 20700 or 18650 batteries if you prefer. The device is quite stunning looking if very busy so not to the liking of those that like plain devices. The updated Gene.Fan chip see's a more user friendly menu system which is feature rich and the screen has a full colour high definition display. I think you get the picture and if i don't stop know the introduction will become the review so i will leave it there and give it a good look!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x VOOPOO X217 MOD
2 x 18650 Battery Adaptor
1 x USB Cable
1 x User Manual
1 x GENE Chip Card
1 x Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The X217 comes in the usual cardboard packaging that Voopoo products come in and on opening it's a coin toss, you are going to really love this device (or hate it if you like plain devices). The device looks a lot like the SX Mini G Class but obviously accommodating dual 21700 batteries somewhat bigger. The device is not massive but is a fair size but no bigger than it needs to be, you are just not going to get small dual 21700 devices, it's also quite heavy and with 21700 batteries installed obviously heavier still. The Aesthetics are very busy with plenty of fingerprint magnet shine and both Carbon Fiber and Resin panels. The main chassis is a very shiny Gun Metal and seems quite a heavy metal material maybe even Stainless Steel but don't quote me on that, the sides have Carbon Fiber panels with screwed on central metal sections which look like they may be holding the panels in place so possibly interchangeable panels in the future. The fire button and back panel are matching Resin and when you choose your colour option the Resin is what is being referred to. It say's on Voopoo's website there are 10 colour options but doesn't name them so i have only listed the 5 i know of which are, Purple-Jade, Aurora, Scarlet, Prussian-Blue and Ink, I received the Scarlet version. The front of the device has the already mentioned fire button top followed by the large square screen. Further down we have the navigational rocker followed by the Woody Vapes logo and finally central bottom the micro USB port. Between this front section and the side panels we have an LED strip that goes around the front of the device in a shape that's between a "U" and a "V". The base of the device has some venting by the battery door catch and printed safety stamps. Up top we have a 26mm 510 plate with Gold plated, spring loaded 510. I have small hands and must admit it's a bit large and heavy for me as an out and about device but with it's oval shape ergonomically it's excellent and build quality is the best i have seen from Voopoo.

X217 Specs and Features:

Size: 93.6 x 50.6 x 33mm
Wattage Range: 5W-217W
Modes: Power/Voltage/Temperature/Custom Mode
Batteries Type: 2 x 21700/20700/18650 batteries (not included)
Resistance Range: 0.05-1.5ohm in TC Mode, 0.05-3ohm in Power Mode
Temperature Range: 200℉-600℉/100℃-315℃
Screen: 1.3-inch TFT colour display
Output Voltage Range: 0.5-7.5V
Output Current: 0A - 40A
Resting Current: ≤10 uA
New Gene.Fan chipset with max 217W
V-shape colourful breathing LED light
8 battery safe protections
Thread: 510
Colours: Purple-Jade, Aurora, Scarlet, Prussian-Blue, Ink

Fitting The Batteries

The X217 will accommodate either dual 21700, 20700 or 18650 batteries (adaptors included) which are fitted via the bottom hatch door. The hatch door is faultless, just slide the catch and it springs open and when fixing back in place just push down and it locks in position. The door is solid and very secure with no rattles like the rest of the device however my main con for the device is battery movement but i will cover that later.

Locking The Device

The device can be locked 2 different ways, by either selecting in the functions menu or by pressing right and fire together. When the device is locked it doesn't allow the wattage or temperature to be altered and the device will not fire. It does however acknowledge 3 clicks of the fire button and the use of the fire button to select and also acknowledges left and right together and using the navigational buttons within the menu. Also being able to lock the device when first entering the function settings i found to be useful as when pressing the fire button to select items or setting curves etc the device with the Gene chip constantly fires so locking prevents this while still being able to fully navigate the menu. The lock/unlock methods are mix and match so if you lock while in function settings once you go back to the main screen you can just press the right and fire together to unlock.

The Display

One of the many pros for the device is the full colour display with the background set to Black by default but there are also 7 additional wallpapers you can choose from so hopefully sooner rather than later there will be software to be able to upload your own, for those that like a clock on their device it also has a rather nice analogue clock-face screensaver. The main display is very well set out and uncluttered with the use of a bit of colour without making it over busy. Top left we have 2 elongated battery status bars marked "A" and "B", top right we have the mode. The centre of the screen displays the wattage, voltage or temperature depending on what mode you are in and then at the bottom we have a row of 4 icons that represent different information which is given below each one. First we have puffs, then time of last vape, then the resistance followed finally by the voltage which changes to watts when in voltage or temperature control modes.

Navigating The Device

Voopoo have done a great job as operating the device flows nicely and is far more user friendly than previous devices. The device is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off, once on you can get nearer to what you want to set by 3 clicks of the fire button. If you are on wattage then 3 clicks takes you to temperature control, 3 more clicks takes you to functions and a further 3 clicks see's you back to wattage.

When in Wattage pressing left and right together brings up your power settings. The options are, Power mode (this allows you to set standard, pulse 1, or pulse 2), Select Power (this has an off option which means you will be using standard or one of the pulse modes as mentioned before and 5 memory slots which allows you to set and save custom curves), Variable Voltage and Quit to go back to the main screen.

When in temperature control pressing left and right together brings up the temperature control settings. The options are, Select Coil (choose wire type between SS316, Ni200, Ti or NC as in no coil type chosen), TCR setting (enter TCR value), Adjust Resistance, Temp Select (this is for your temperature curves and works the same way as in the power mode settings), Adjust Power (set wattage for temp control up to 80w), Adjust Unit and Quit.

When you have the functions icon displayed pressing left and right together brings up your function settings options. The options are, Lock Menu (doesn't actually lock the menu at all as explained earlier), Clock Select (set how long you want the the clock to appear on the screen before the display goes off), Brightness, LED Settings (you can choose between Red, Green, Blue, 7-Colour or off, the only mode is the default pulsing), Wallpaper Select (choose between Black background or one of the pre-installed 7 wallpapers), Language Select, Time Settings, Date Settings, System Version and Quit.

Performance

I do not vape in temp control so have no idea how it fairs as a temperature control device and have no access to data so simply review devices on how i personally found they performed for me. As mentioned the device is a little too large for me as an out and about device but as a desktop device i found it ergonomically superb. The fire button has a nice responsive click but sits flush so isn't the easiest to find. As mentioned the device even fires when trying to select things in the menu system so the Gene chip does it's thing firing without noticeable delay. After saying this i'm not sure if ramp up to set wattage is slower or firing time is slightly tamed but it just seems not as "bang" as the Drag. I compared it to the Drag in case it's just my imagination and although slight there is definitely a difference. I tried a few atty's at different wattage's and not sure if it's because i was using it along side the Drag or if the vape is slightly weak but at lower wattage's i needed to vape at 5w higher than usual (example Serpent Elevate with a build i normally vape at 30w, i needed it at 35w to get the same result), not a massive issue to me as 30w or 35w as long as the end result is the same to me that's what matters. I did notice though when vaping at 60w plus the wattage now seemed accurate and if using one of the Pulse settings ramp up and power performance was increased, it's almost as if standard is soft, pulse 1 is normal and pulse 2 is hard, also the curves feature works very well. Battery life was very impressive not just the increased mAh with using 21700 batteries but the device seemed very efficient giving full value for the mAh. I really like the aesthetics of the device and the display, hopefully with being firmware upgradeable soon you will be able to upload your own wallpapers (hopefully at the same time "CRUVE" will be changed to "CURVE" lol). The LED strip is also done well but lacking somewhat in settings as pulsing is the only option but the most important setting is present that the light can be turned off. Another big pro is the X217 will accommodate up to a 32mm atty without any kind of an overhang so suitable for those into their big atty's, and the final pro for me is it adjusts in 1w increments at a consistent speed. Their are cons for the device even though i only test devices in power mode but they are quite petty apart from battery movement. This isn't a deal breaker as i am not talking major rattle but if you move the device about at different angles i can definitely detect some battery movement which once you are aware it's there becomes annoying and let's down just a bit what i found to be a very good device.

Aesthetically Stunning (in my opinion)
Excellent build quality
Ergonomic
Quality materials used
Full large Colour high definition screen
Pulse settings (made it more comparable to the Drag)
Voltage as well as Wattage
Power Curves
Temperature Curves
Temp control (not tested)
Very nice LED strip (those that don't like LED's can turn it off)
Fires instantly (if not the "bang" of the Drag)
21700, 20700 or 18650 batteries
1W increments and scrolls consistently
Very good user friendly interface
One of the best hatch doors i have come across
Wallpapers (hopefully soon will be able to upload your own)
Very good battery life
Efficient
Supports on board charging (if it's your only option)
Firmware upgradeable

Cons

Battery movement (not rattle but definitely is some movement)
Larger than dual 18650 device (obvious and no way around it)
Heavy
Fire button sits flush and not the easiest to find
At lower wattage's needed to up wattage slightly compared to other devices (not a big thing for me)

Con only compared to Drag

Gene.Fan chip seemed slightly tamed compared to Drag

I would once again like to thank Thea from Voopoo for supplying the X217 for the purpose of this review.

VOOPOO VAPE - Spark Your Moments - Drag|Vape wholesale|Vapour cigarettes|E cigs|E cigarettes|E cigarettes supplies|The vape of young people

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Nice review, does it still show curve spelled cruve?!!? That’s insane, that misspelling has been on Voopoo mods for over a year now, or close. When it first showed up on the OG Drag box I thought not really a big deal, doesn’t affect performance so why care. Well it’s a little strange and unnerving that they don’t bother to fix it and continue to put out mods with the misspelled word. I guess it just conveys an “I don’t give a .....” attitude that makes me not want to spend my money on one of their mods. This 217 is a good looking mod but Voopoo continues making poor decisions that I’d think would be bad for business. Sorry for the rant just amazed this is still a thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread