Vortex Review/opinion video

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Nice tip...plumber's teflon tape...thanks Credo...

With the old CE2 sleeves...I found that if I took them apart, upon putting them back together they could develop leaks.

My easy solution was to grab a roll of teflon tape (plumbers use this to seal the threads on water pipes) from the tool box...give it a couple of wraps to make a gasket in there, put it back together, and no more leaks. After a few trys I found ways to do it where the likelyhood of the stuff coming in contact with much if any juice would be slim to none...plus, the stuff is used with water pipes and in sensitive distilling machines and such every day out in the real world...has no taste, and should be plenty safe for a PV seal. This tactic also allowed me to milk a little more life out of clearo sleeves that develop cracks at the ends.

The Teflon tape will turn pretty close to clear once it's good and wet and seals it off good. It'll also compress into a very small space without 'tearing'...especially when wet.

I don't anticipate having to take a Vortex apart...it'll be rare if I do :)
A roll of plumber's teflon tape makes a great seal if I do...

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
As I have said in other threads...I LOVE the mouthpiece as is...I don't find it too loose. It is looser than our betas but I actually like that as it is easier to recap...and the feel on the lips is soft, almost perfect tactile feel...

No, the mouth piece is a drip-tip replacement. It has a neat tactile feel due to the grooves around it. It's nice and soft, so doesn't click on your teeth.

You can pop this out and replace it with your favorite 510/808/305 drip tip.
CE2 plugs also work.
In fact...many carto plugs will probably work....if you have something you want to use but doesn't quite seal, you can also cut off the bottom part of the Vortex mouthpeice with a good sharp razor and make a kind of inner seal, then pop your favorite whatever on top of that.

Repent

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Central Oregon
With the old CE2 sleeves...I found that if I took them apart, upon putting them back together they could develop leaks.

My easy solution was to grab a roll of teflon tape (plumbers use this to seal the threads on water pipes) from the tool box...give it a couple of wraps to make a gasket in there, put it back together, and no more leaks. After a few trys I found ways to do it where the likelyhood of the stuff coming in contact with much if any juice would be slim to none...plus, the stuff is used with water pipes and in sensitive distilling machines and such every day out in the real world...has no taste, and should be plenty safe for a PV seal. This tactic also allowed me to milk a little more life out of clearo sleeves that develop cracks at the ends.

The Teflon tape will turn pretty close to clear once it's good and wet and seals it off good. It'll also compress into a very small space without 'tearing'...especially when wet.

I don't anticipate having to take a Vortex apart...it'll be rare if I do :)
A roll of plumber's teflon tape makes a great seal if I do...

can you take a pic of where you're putting the teflon tape? I tried to use the tape on the threads where you normally would, but in putting the tube back on it's tight enough that the tape rolls off the threads and is ineffective. Getting really bad leaks down the center tube after taking it apart to remove the ALF.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
can you take a pic of where you're putting the teflon tape? I tried to use the tape on the threads where you normally would, but in putting the tube back on it's tight enough that the tape rolls off the threads and is ineffective. Getting really bad leaks down the center tube after taking it apart to remove the ALF.

I haven't used any on a Vortex and I don't have a digital camera at the moment :(

The tape I have comes in 1/4" wide rolls.

I screw the vortex on a battery to make it easier to work with. In my case I use a switched off eGo battery.

If you've only removed the outer sleeve to get ALF out, just give the bottom part where those vertical grooves are a wrap or two, at this point it's okay to even wrap part of your battery...wet the tape with some juice, then slide the sleeve back on....slowly, and it might take some force but go a tiny bit at the time and pause to avoid cracking the plastic. Trim any excess tape that sticks out around the bottom with a good sharp knife.

If you've removed both the outer sleeve, and the cap over the atomizer coils...just wrap everything but the coils and wick in the stuff, and put it all back together :)

1. Wrap the metal base of it starting from just below the wicks...
If you pull this teflon tape stuff tight it'll act like cling wrap and you can just wrap the whole base up in the stuff...wet with some juice...

2. put it all back together and then trim the excess that sticks out around the edges.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread