VV Berserker Mini MTL RTA:Very low Ohm display

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Your leaking is probably caused by not having enough cotton actually inside the coil..
I doubt that it’s possible to squeeze more wick into the coil than what I’ve done last time: I’ve used e-liquid to wet it and twisted it tightly before I squeezed in as much as I could. After that I untwisted it, and it’s really stuck in there very tightly, impossible to move without turning it and holding the coil. However, there’s certainly too much wick in the wells: I literally stuffed the wells with it.

Reactions: stols001

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I doubt that it’s possible to squeeze more wick into the coil than what I’ve done last time: I’ve used e-liquid to wet it and twisted it tightly before I squeezed in as much as I could.

I agree with that. If you wet it first, then you've probably got enough.

lil_buddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2017
I don't tuck the cotton into the well all at once. I first start tucking a bottom section of the tuft and keep adding more of the tuft until either A) It is getting too tight and the only way to get more cotton in the well would be to cram pretty hard. Trim whatever part of the tuft won't fit into the well or (B) No more tuft is left and all the cotton is in the well.

I also push some cotton down into the hole that is on the bottom of the well with a tiny screwdriver (just one push)

After priming the cotton, I check carefully for stray fibers and try to get them tucked in, cut them or pull them out. I also do one tucking push from the inner part of the well to make sure no fibers are near the airflow hole under the coil.

I do get a tiny bit of flooding and leaking when the tank is nearly empty. The leak is very minimal and is simply a bit of residue under the tank which you can't detect unless you remove the tank from the mod.

• Useful

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Cotton is fine...lots of people use it. I used it all the time until I tried rayon for wicking. Now I don't use the KohGenDo Japanese Organic Cotton at all, that I'd bought multiple packs of, with 10 pads in each. If you ever decide to try rayon, make sure it's made of 100% rayon fibers, because they make some that is a cotton/rayon blend, too. You don't want that though.

Even though cotton shrinks when it gets wet, you still don't want the juice wells stuffed full...so it blocks the hole in the wells even when it's wet. But you do need enough in there to draw the eliquid up, to keep the cotton in the coil wet. Your leaking is probably caused by not having enough cotton actually inside the coil...so when it does get wet and shrinks a little...it'll still be touching the inside of the coil loops. You'll get it just right with some more practice, I'm sure. :thumbs:

A few wickings later, I think I’ve got it: I didn’t have enough wick in the juice wells (eg the tails were to short). Since I’ve corrected this three days ago, I haven’t seen one single drop leaking out so far, I think I’m good :).

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
A few wickings later, I think I’ve got it: I didn’t have enough wick in the juice wells (eg the tails were to short). Since I’ve corrected this three days ago, I haven’t seen one single drop leaking out so far, I think I’m good

Glad to hear it's leak free now! Way to go for hanging in there until you got it. :banana:

• Agree

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My 24mm Beserker is a leak free tank if you fill the juice channels with wicking and get them just touching the deck below the wick holes. It's also a flavor king when wicked right. The wick size should be just big enough to fill the holes going down to the deck, but not so tight that they choke off juice flow. You should be able to push the wick tails into the holes without much effort at all. A paper clip wire or a small jeweler's screwdriver is good for pushing them into place.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
I’ve just completed the ‘ultimate’ test: I filled it up to the brim and went for a drive, and it’s absolutely leak-free. Before that, it would leak every time when I stored it in one of the cup holders of my cars (probably because of the not-quite-upright position and the vibrations and constant movements), but it’s completely dry now :)

It was worth it, the Berserker is a fine atomizer, and it looks really good too.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Since there are a few owners of the Vandy Vape Berserker in this thread, I’m reviving and hijacking it for this question: Which drip tip do you use? I’m asking because I wanted to change from the silicone one (I think it’s silicone, the brown, semi-transparent one) to the black one, which is made out of metal. It turns out that the black drip tip alters the taste of the vapor, it adds kind of a metallic flavor to it. I don’t like it at all! Did you experience this too?

marshbunny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
NE GA, USA
[
Drip Tips.jpg

I use these drip tips from FastTech on most of my RTA's. They have several colors. I am having problems posting the link but go to FastTech and put in SKU 1995500,.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@KurtVD - Yep, as lil_buddy said above...both are types of plastic. The Black one is Delrin and the goldish/brown one is Ultem. I've been using the Black ones on several of my Berserkers and so far have gotten no taste of any kind from them. The only thing I ever taste is the eliquids I'm using in them.

Maybe it's whatever eliquid you're using in it...that's reacting somehow with the plastic? Or, could you be eating something before, or while, you're vaping...that's causing the taste you're getting? I know that after I've eaten something with garlic in it, it alters the taste of my eliquids for a whole day or more.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
@KurtVD - Yep, as lil_buddy said above...both are types of plastic. The Black one is Delrin and the goldish/brown one is Ultem. I've been using the Black ones on several of my Berserkers and so far have gotten no taste of any kind from them. The only thing I ever taste is the eliquids I'm using in them.

Maybe it's whatever eliquid you're using in it...that's reacting somehow with the plastic? Or, could you be eating something before, or while, you're vaping...that's causing the taste you're getting? I know that after I've eaten something with garlic in it, it alters the taste of my eliquids for a whole day or more.
You’re absolutely right, it had nothing to do with the drip tip, it was pure coincidence. I don’t know where it came from, but for a couple of days, I had this weird metallic taste in all of my juices when vaped with the Berserker, but it’s gone now. It was with a new coil and wick (that I have changed since), so I thought it came from something else...

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You’re absolutely right, it had nothing to do with the drip tip, it was pure coincidence. I don’t know where it came from, but for a couple of days, I had this weird metallic taste in all of my juices when vaped with the Berserker, but it’s gone now. It was with a new coil and wick (that I have changed since), so I thought it came from something else...

I like to slightly space my coils in case I want to use the tank for TC. Most of the time I'm in power mode. Some wires taste more metallic than others, but a short dry burn when new followed immediately by a dunk under the sink tap should fix it. Either way (dry burn or not) it should go away in a few minutes as you vape.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Since you like the Berserker RTA so well, you may want to try 1 of the fairly new Berserker RDAs. FastTech has the authentic ones of them, too,

Hi
It’s been a few weeks, but I’m about to order a BF mod from fasttech. I already have an atomizer (the Geekvape Ammit RDA), but I remembered your post, and thought maybe I could get another one ;).

Do you own a Berserker RDA? Or did you recommend it because of reviews you had seen or read? If you do own one, what do you like about it? How does it compare to other RDAs you have (if any)?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Do you own a Berserker RDA? Or did you recommend it because of reviews you had seen or read?

No, I don't own one. I rarely use an RDA...maybe just to taste test some new DIY eliquid sometimes. Have several different ones, but not the Berserker.

I thought you might want to try it for a couple reasons.
1) Most of the comments in this thread seem to be pretty positive about it, as people order and get it:

Vandy Vape Berserker MTL RDA

There are also other positive comments posted about it within other threads, when people have asked for RDA recommendations, and/or asked about comparisons among various RDA they're considering.

2) Vandy Vape did an excellent job with the Berserker MTL RTA, in my opinion...so it's possible they produced a decent RDA, too. If I were going to buy another RDA, it's the one I'd personally try first.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
No, I don't own one. I rarely use an RDA...maybe just to taste test some new DIY eliquid sometimes. Have several different ones, but not the Berserker.

I thought you might want to try it for a couple reasons.
1) Most of the comments in this thread seem to be pretty positive about it, as people order and get it:

Vandy Vape Berserker MTL RDA

There are also other positive comments posted about it within other threads, when people have asked for RDA recommendations, and/or asked about comparisons among various RDA they're considering.

2) Vandy Vape did an excellent job with the Berserker MTL RTA, in my opinion...so it's possible they produced a decent RDA, too. If I were going to buy another RDA, it's the one I'd personally try first.
Thank you, it’s indeed an interesting RDA. I’ve read through the thread you linked, and it seems to produce a great flavor, although the air hole inserts seem a bit gimmicky to me, plus it seems they melt if you fire the coil before having primed the wick (read in the linked thread). I prefer a “classical” airflow regulation system without any small parts that can (and probably will) get lost or damaged. But more than that, it’s only 18mm in diameter, and the mod I’m looking to buy is a big enough for 24mm atomizers. At this size, I can build bigger coils with more wraps and they should be easier to install and wick (hopefully), so that’s what I’ll be getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread