VV devices and higher resistance cartomizers -- what do you get out of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
I currently use an EVOD battery with a Smoktech tank and 1.5 ohm Smoktech dual coil cartomizers. This works well for me. Where I buy my stuff they also sell 2.0 ohm and 2.5 ohm cartomizers. The 2.5 ohm cartomizers say that they should not be used below 5 volts.

Naively, it seems to me that for the increased resistance at a higher voltage you would be operating at the same wattage as the lower resistance carto at a lower voltage. The "good" power envelope doesn't seem to be that much larger on most of the wattage charts I've looked at.

But what's the vaping advantage? Is it a warmer vape, greater vapor volume, more flavor, some or all of the above? I'm kind of curious to experiment on the cheap (eg, 1000 mAh twist of some kind), but I'm not real sure what to expect out of it.

As a kind of experiment, I did pick up a couple of the 2.0 ohm Smoktech dual coil cartos for my tank and tried one out on my EVOD battery. They work, but not as well as the 1.5s -- vapor production isn't nearly as good, which leads me to believe that more power basically means more vapor (obviously with a lot of strings attached).

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
My personal experience is that I get better vapor and flavor from higher ohm cartos (2.8-3.0) than I do from lower res cartos.
I also find I can run them at lower wattage

I don't understand why they suggest running 2.5 ohm coils only at 5 volts or more. In my experience that would result in burning the juice and coil. That's 10 watts. Pretty high for a carto

Tapatalking with my thumbs.
Join the CASAA.
Protect your Vaping Rights!

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
As far as I know, the Smoktech dual coil carto resistance is the total attachment resistance. The coils are in parallel, which I think means they are double the total resistance. So the 2.5 ohm carto is two 5 ohm coils.

As for the recommendation of 5 volts or better, I can't tell you. I suspect it may be less about input voltage and more about the device's ability to sustain high current loads. I think the removable batteries in mods can deliver a lot more current than eGo spinners (who seem to all top out at 4.8v), so by setting a voltage floor of 5 volts you keep people from trying to use them with less capable batteries.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I love 3ohm cartos, but on 6volt devices. Things like the MVP don't cut it.

Flavors don't kill cartomizers as fast with higher resistances. I loved unicornblood, but it didn't work in anything after the first couple of pulls. Not that it lasts long, but I get a tank or two out of them.

I build coils in the 2-3ohm range. I don't notice a difference in performance if wicking properly at some power level.

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
As far as I know, the Smoktech dual coil carto resistance is the total attachment resistance. The coils are in parallel, which I think means they are double the total resistance. So the 2.5 ohm carto is two 5 ohm coils.

Could you explain this a little more?

I actually just posted a similar thread/question...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-more-voltage-wattage-than-single-coils.html

Still a little confused re: single-coil vs. double-coil, and how ohms/voltage/wattage factors into it all.

Thanks!

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
A dual coil can essentially handle double the amount of power/watts. A1.5 ohm dual coil consists of two 3ohm coils. Using a dual coil requires a good battery, airflow, and wicking. That 1.5ohm dual coil pulls more current, and needs more current from boost circuit (what allows you to use higher voltage than the battery itself is capable of. )

I don't use dual cartos..if they were side by side, they would both wick equally. One coil is above the normal placement of a coil in a cartomizer. It just doesn't wick efficiently.. especially with most liquids I use.

If you try dual coils, don't go above 2ohms.. unless you have a pv that can handle more than 6volts... or if you just like weak, cold vapor.

Edit. .sorry, forgot other part.
Voltage×voltage÷resistance=watts
Voltage÷resistance=current... and so forth (ohms law)

9watts=3.67volts×3.67volts÷1.5ohm
9watts=5.2volts×5.2volts÷3ohm

So looking at that, you already need more voltage compared to a single coil. If you can get the airflow and wicking good enough, you can easily just put 18watts on a 1.5ohm dual coil(2-3ohm coils), but I don't know if anyone does that with cartomizers. They wick great, but not good enough for that much heat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread