VV Gripper Gripe: A love affair gone wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson

Verified Member
Dec 7, 2010
Alabama
The battery door has been all that has kept me from having a full fledged love affair with this PV.

July of last year, I bought the (near $100) kit to start with, thinking the stock batteries it came with wouldn't put a strain on the door... I was incorrect. I did have a little bit of the other problems others mentioned, i.e. wobbly connector and the button sticking on occasion, but with careful use those issues were easy to overlook. I used a rubber band to close the battery door to compensate the broken latch, until the hinged portion came detached.

So... a friend of mine, who made fun of me for using a rubber band and laughed really hard when said rubber band snapped and smacked me in the face mid-vape (while it did hurt, I laughed too) bought me another one last fall. Within a few months the latch on the battery door broke. I was a bit too timid to go the rubber band route this round, so...

I bought another for myself for Xmas, on sale for around $40. I even bought buttonless topped batteries in hopes that would extend the longevity... but no, the battery door has been bulging for weeks now, looking as if it will give way any minute. While I sit here with another in my shopping cart wondering if it's time to call it splits and just move on.

I am not trying to give this PV a bad review, because when it's holding together it's my perfect vaping device. It fires my DCs without problems. The size, weight and coating is perfect for my dainty hands (my 10 yr old nephew's hands are bigger than my own), plus those qualities help with my Parkinson's by allowing me to maintain a good grip on it, not dropping or slinging it across the room which happens when I use heavier and larger mods, especially tubed shaped ones. I've seen another or two on the market similar, but I need the capacity of an 18650 and do not want to use stacked batteries.

So with this little pout (not a rant, just a pout :) ) I guess I am asking others how they have worked around this problem. I tried electrical tape, while it might fare better in the winter, last summer it wouldn't hold up to the Alabama heat.

I also might want to suggest/request to Hoogie that maybe they could come up with some solution, maybe a metal or silicon cup at the bottom 1/5 of the unit that could lend support to the battery door, or at the very least maybe talking to your connections at SmokTech to get them to resolve this problem. The operation of this PV is too good for it to basically be a disposable.

Dear VV Gripper, I hate myself for loving you. :D

Last edited:

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
I use black velcro strips to keep the door closed, looks a little better than the rubber band :D

But the Gripper does need a better door.

Can you please post a pic...and maybe 'splain how you did the velcro thing? I just happen to have some velcro strips (with the sticky backing) sitting here on a table next to me. I have been using electrical tape for the past month...but would like a better solution!

I love my VV Gripper!!

lynch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2011
Lynchburg,Va
View attachment 182564 View attachment 182565 View attachment 182566 I use the strips without the sticky glue backing just regular velcro strips , wrap it around the mod and add a half inch or so to it.
Start the wrap in the back of mod and wrap around as tight as you can, then just pull up the velcro when needed. Not the best of photos but you get the idea.

Last edited:

bob143

Apr 7, 2011
Bloomingburg, NY
I too love my Gripper but that door needs improvement. Having Arthritis in both hands, this is one of my only 18650 battery PV's that does not slip out of my hands like all of the long round ones. I have been lucky and my only problem has been a door that does not stay close. I realized the battery door problem early and immediately purchased 2 of the shortest 18650 batteries made, IMR Type. These batteries were from 1 to 3 mm shorter then the other battery types. I believe this has saved my door from falling off. To keep my door shut, I used a small piece of masking type, it is easy to peel off daily to change batteries and usually lasts a few weeks.

This door problem is the only thing that stops me from buying another one. There are 2 new large battery similary shaped PV's out that have built in batteries, that I may have to look into these.

Last edited:

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I hear you guys.. I lov ethe VV gripper also as it's small and reliable. I even find that I like the wobble in the connector and it's turned into a habit of shaking it around when I'm thinking.. It does take a while for the connector loosen up but doesn't seem to affect the performance much.

I did find however, that to extend the battery door life, if you slide it all the way out before dropping it down, the little tabs don't break off and it closes nice and tight.. well for a while anyway :)

hoog

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
T
View attachment 182564 View attachment 182565 View attachment 182566 I use the strips without the sticky glue backing just regular velcro strips , wrap it around the mod and add a half inch or so to it in the back of mod and wrap around as tight as you can, then just pull up the velcro when needed. Not the best of photos but you get the idea.

Hmmm. That sure doesn't look like the VVGripper I have! My battery door is on the bottom and the power button is on top. :blink:

Crimson

Verified Member
Dec 7, 2010
Alabama
I went ahead and purchased another (my 4th) as a backup because I simply do not want to be without one.

I just bought some Velcro strips to put on the one which the latch was about to give way. I attached the loops strip (softer portion, since some of it will be exposed and the softer would be better than the scratchy side :) ) horizontally, starting just beside the power button, wrapping around to the back. With the top of the strap about level with the upper part of the button it wraps around below the vent on the back. I attach the hooks strip perpendicularly, wrapping over the battery door and up the back side. It's not necessarily pretty, but does seem as if it will be effective. Thanks for the idea Lynch.

Hoog, do you know if they plan a revision on these?

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Yes its great device sans the battery door and loose 510 connector as i use heavy DID20 rebuildable attys on it .
I have other devices as well .
Anyways i opened it up and JB welded (2 part epoxy) the 510 connector from inside as it just sits in slots - problem solved.
The battery door metal strip that contact the batter came of its tab there are 2 of them - Jb Welded -problem fixed.
It is old and beat up and abused but battery doors plastic pins still are unbroken luckily but if thos pins were metal it would be even better.

These doors are similar to some cameras battery doors in design and just 2 metal pins instead of plastic would do wonders in my humble opinion.

gordk

Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Roxy and Elsewhere
Dear VV Gripper, I hate myself for loving you. :D

I read a crapload of comments about this, decided to get one about 5 days ago, and that one comment really sums it all up. This thing is obviously way too easy to trash, but god does it ever deliver. I want to rip it's guts out before I trash it, and come up with something reasonable to put those guts in.

I would definitely swap the positions of the 510 thread and the fire button. I hold it backwards with the button away from my palm where my index finger can easily reach it, and with the threads and finger indentations near my palm.

Did I say yet I want to gut it and make my own box to put the innards in? Use a horn button and so forth... You've all already described what this is, how good it is, and what it needs to be. Let's go.

jabuki

Jul 27, 2011
neverneverland
I tried the vv gripper for all of two days and the tabs on the battery door that held it closed started cracking. I sent it back and absolutely LOVE the vamo v2 stainless that I got for $55. the vamo is built like a tank and works amazing. the fact that the vamo can take either 18650 or 18350 batteries is a great option for when you want ton of battery life or a smaller vaping mod.

I'd recommend the variable voltage variable wattage vamo 2 to anyone and everyone. it's an amazing bang for the buck. I believe madvapes lists the vamo as the vision variable voltage, however I don't know if they are the version 2 especially since they don't have the stainless steel finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread