Status
Not open for further replies.

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
Variable Voltage adjusts the voltage being output to the coil, which when factored in with the Ohms of the coil, produces a certain wattage. Voltage is adjusted in .1 increments usually between 2.9 - 6 volts, which can give a touch more precision in adjustment.

Variable Wattage measures the Ohms of the coil, and will adjust the voltage to reach the uses desired wattage. Generally adjusted in increments of .5 and good if you're switching delivery systems with varying Ohms often.

This chart will show you the info your looking for:

Ohn8o.png

An easy rule of thumb for VV is to add 2 to the resistance, and use that as a starting voltage (2.8Ω + 2 = 4.8v).

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Or to be simplistic - the throat hit and taste of juice flavors can change depending on what wattage they are vaporized at. "Delivery systems" (what holds the liquid and delivers it to the heating element - like cartomizers or clearomizers) come in different resistances (ohms) and being able to vary the voltage of the device means you can adjust the amount of power (watts) produced so you can find your own "sweet spot."

With a variable voltage device, you can adjust the volts up or down to get where you want to be. With a variable wattage device you set it at the power level you like (for example 8 watts) and the device will measure the resistance of the delivery system and adjust the voltage automatically to get to that wattage (although you may find you don't like 8 watts for all of your juice, so you can switch back to variable voltage and adjust it from there).

ETA: While I use several delivery systems with different resistances, I've found I prefer variable voltage, since I don't seem to like any of my juices at the same watts.

Last edited:

DanFromRioRancho

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
You will eventually find out that this still a relatively new industry which means that quality control is not yet what one would hope for. This shows up big time in the purported resistance of heads -- there can be a very large difference between the claimed resistance and the actual resistance, and the differences will change from lot to lot within the same manufacturer's output. With a VV, you will have a starting point but will be fiddling with the voltage every time you change out a head to get to that sweet spot The Ocelot described. With VW, you only need to find your sweet spot once and you're good to go.

dosu24

Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
California
Or to be simplistic - the throat hit and taste of juice flavors can change depending on what wattage they are vaporized at. "Delivery systems" (what holds the liquid and delivers it to the heating element - like cartomizers or clearomizers) come in different resistances (ohms) and being able to vary the voltage of the device means you can adjust the amount of power (watts) produced so you can find your own "sweet spot."

With a variable voltage device, you can adjust the volts up or down to get where you want to be. With a variable wattage device you set it at the power level you like (for example 8 watts) and the device will measure the resistance of the delivery system and adjust the voltage automatically to get to that wattage (although you may find you don't like 8 watts for all of your juice, so you can switch back to variable voltage and adjust it from there).

ETA: While I use several delivery systems with different resistances, I've found I prefer variable voltage, since I don't seem to like any of my juices at the same watts.

this helped me too. sounds simple enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread