• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

WAKE UP New MeXiCo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciara

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Say....thanks for the heads-up!!! I posted!

To bad for you other NM-ers! I got there first! :)

Oh rats! :D I just now found out there's a group for NM (thanks Firegrl!). This is a great thing for the Land of Entrapment (indeed!) And the young folks call Rio Rancho "Rio Russia" :rolleyes:

It's great to be here! Congrats SpottedPony!

Firegrl

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.geekgods.net
Oh rats! :D I just now found out there's a group for NM (thanks Firegrl!). This is a great thing for the Land of Entrapment (indeed!) And the young folks call Rio Rancho "Rio Russia" :rolleyes:

It's great to be here! Congrats SpottedPony!

I usually just refer to Rio Rancho and the surrounding are as "BFE" because I hate driving, so the west side and Rio Rancho seem so far away lol.

dgriego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
New Mexico
I love New Mexico but you are correct about the USA not always knowing we are a state. I remember when I was in the military I called my dad from England and told him I was going to get married. He asked me "Where is he from?", I said "New Mexico" and I heard my father give a little sigh and say " Well I always hoped you would marry an American, but as long as he makes you happy".

Mind you that was over 25 years ago.

wave42

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
New Mexico
I love New Mexico but you are correct about the USA not always knowing we are a state. I remember when I was in the military I called my dad from England and told him I was going to get married. He asked me "Where is he from?", I said "New Mexico" and I heard my father give a little sigh and say " Well I always hoped you would marry an American, but as long as he makes you happy".

Mind you that was over 25 years ago.

My husband and I got married in Georgia 5 years ago. We went to the county court house to get our license and the clerk asked where my husband lived. He told her New Mexico and pulled out his drivers license. She looked at him and said she needed to see his passport. I really shouldn't have been surprised. During the '96 summer Olympic games in Atlanta, they were telling NM residents they needed to call the international line for ticket sales. :rolleyes:

SpottedPony

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
Rattlesnake territory
During the '96 summer Olympic games in Atlanta, they were telling NM residents they needed to call the international line for ticket sales. :rolleyes:

Haha...just a year ago...in 2009...I called to make reservation to NC because Delta's website wouldn't take my flyer miles pin thingy...they told me the same thing, "you need to call the international...this is for domestic flights"...whoa! For a second I was trying to "process" what they were saying...believing I heard them wrong! I couldn't help but ask "why"....she said "because we only handle domestic flights"...the fun was on! I said, "you mean like...flights within the united states? Wouldn't that include the rather large landmass between AZ and TX?" THEY HUNG UP ON ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I was even nice about it!!!

SpottedPony

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
Rattlesnake territory
That really boggles my mind. People don't know we are part of the United States? I've lived in NM my whole life and I can't say I've come across that one!

My favorite is trying to get people over the phone to pronounce Albuquerque correctly. And spell it for that matter!

I am not sure if they are unaware that NM is a state so much as they "hear" the word Mexico and think "country" and temporarily forget there is a state with the word "Mexico" in its name.

Firegrl

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.geekgods.net
I suppose after being here for awhile you learn to deal with some peoples ignorance.

...I am originally from Alaska, when I first moved here...I cannot count how many people asked me if we had Polar bears or if we lived in an igloo. :rolleyes:

Wow, talk about going from one extreme to another. Was it hard adjusting to the severe difference in weather?

Agentaaron

Mar 2, 2010
The Q
Wow, talk about going from one extreme to another. Was it hard adjusting to the severe difference in weather?

Not entirely...Its just much easier to get around.

...in exreme climates (like Fairbanks, AK or Phoenix, AZ) you just avoid the elements when they are at their worst. In Fairbanks...you just dont go outside (or anywhere for that matter) when the temp drops to -40f. Same with Phoenix...dont go play mini golf when its 112f.

I actually went to Arizona state university and plan on moving back there some day...I would have to say that I can tolerate warmer weather better than cold.

My Mother-in-law wants to move to Anchorage, I told her that she would be best to go visit a couple times before making a decision like that...once about June and again in January. (Although Anchorage is like Florida compared to Fairbanks.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread