Want to move on from disposable eGo batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Joye eGo-c and plain eGo batteries, and they work great but are not cheap and do wear out. I am on a limited budget, so I would like to move to something where just the actual battery can be replaced, instead of the whole housing with circuitry, etc., if that will save me money. I'm not very knowledgeable about PV hardware, so I don't even know if that means it would necessarily be a mod or not, so I am not even sure whether to post this under the "batteries" or "Mod" subforums.

I am happy using T3S clearos, since the heads are cheap and can be rebuilt relatively easily, so I want something with eGo/510 threading that can be used with those. Regarding threads, is the eGo thread the same as 510, or is the eGo thread the part on the outside of an eGo-C and the 510 thread the one on the inside, where an atty attaches?

I don't even really care about VV, displays, passthroughs, or any other features, although VV would be nice if it does not drive the price up too much. I am OK with spending a little up front to save money in the long run, but hope to keep the initial investment below $40 for a housing and a couple of rechargeable batteries, if that is possible. I guess I will have to buy a charger too, so this is already sounding expensive to me. I do have a cheapo multimeter, FWIW.

So I am fishing for recommendations, especially any that can speak to affordability, reliability, and lifespan. Thanks.

Last edited:

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
If the replaceable batteries thing isn't a deal breaker you can get into the MVP 2.0 for $38 shipped. By the time you get into a device with replaceable batteries, even a cheap one, a couple of batteries, and a decent charger, you will be over your $40 budget.

MVP:

Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0 Variable Voltage/Watt Starter Kit with 2x iClear 16 Tank - Black - Rakuten.com Shopping

Ok, not throwing stuff away does matter to me as well, if there is a cost effective alternative. What would be a reasonable starting cost for something where the only waste is the actual batteries? If I can get a good sense that my initial investment would pay off in a reasonable time frame, I could spend more. But if the reality is that disposable units like eGo-C's are actually less expensive even in the long run, then that's where I should stay for now, I suppose.

Would the MVP you mentioned last a lot longer than an eGo battery? If it does, that would be worth considering for me. But since it costs about 4 times as much, I would want it to last at least 4 times longer. I really don't need the extra bells and whistles, not that I would necessarily object to them.

Just about anything from China for $40 is going to be disposable... For your needs, a ProVape-1 and eGo adapter would be ideal. It has a lifetime warranty and is made by a company renowned for quality. I am confident mine will outlast me, but it is over twice your budget...

That looks like a really nice solution (ProVape-1) and would probably fully meet my needs, but it is a bit pricey for me right now. But I am a miser at heart and hate to throw stuff away, so I like the idea. One question I would have is whether the batteries are something that are generally available for various applications, or if they are proprietary?

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
That looks like a really nice solution (ProVape-1) and would probably fully meet my needs, but it is a bit pricey for me right now. But I am a miser at heart and hate to throw stuff away, so I like the idea. One question I would have is whether the batteries are something that are generally available for various applications, or if they are proprietary?

It uses 14500 AW IMR batteries. I guess you can use them in certain flashlights. Not much else I can think of, though.

I've spent more on disposable, low quality gear over the past 3 years than what my 2 PV-1s, ProVari and ProVari Mini cost...

Last edited:

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
I'm not recommending per se, but I did a little quick shopping for ya.

Sigelei Zmax Mini V3 Silver - RTD vapor

Xtar MC1 - RTD vapor

AW IMR 18350 3.7V 700mAh - RTD vapor x2

Top quality batteries (get 2, not 1), a low price but not low quality charger (near bottom of the line of a very reliable brand), and a VV/VW mod with eGo threads that may last a long time for you (yes, it has more features than you want, but you'll get used to them and may like them).

With the "LABOR25" giving you a discount on the mod (but not on the batteries or charger) it comes to $54.57 including shipping. Top notch vendor.

Just a suggestion.

Busted knuckles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
Portland, Oregon.
+1 for the MVP. It's a good, simple mod that you can use just about any atty on. No extra cost for rechargeable batteries, it has an internal rechargeable that should last you quite a while. I think you can get them mostly anywhere these days for under $40.

There are better solutions for longevity, but you'll have a larger initial investment.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I have been using Joye eGo-c and plain eGo batteries, and they work great but are not cheap and do wear out. I am on a limited budget, so I would like to move to something where just the actual battery can be replaced, instead of the whole housing with circuitry, etc., if that will save me money. I'm not very knowledgeable about PV hardware, so I don't even know if that means it would necessarily be a mod or not, so I am not even sure whether to post this under the "Batteries" or "Mod" subforums.

I am happy using T3S clearos, since the heads are cheap and can be rebuilt relatively easily, so I want something with eGo/510 threading that can be used with those. Regarding threads, is the eGo thread the same as 510, or is the eGo thread the part on the outside of an eGo-C and the 510 thread the one on the inside, where an atty attaches?

I don't even really care about VV, displays, passthroughs, or any other features, although VV would be nice if it does not drive the price up too much. I am OK with spending a little up front to save money in the long run, but hope to keep the initial investment below $40 for a housing and a couple of rechargeable batteries, if that is possible. I guess I will have to buy a charger too, so this is already sounding expensive to me. I do have a cheapo multimeter, FWIW.

So I am fishing for recommendations, especially any that can speak to affordability, reliability, and lifespan. Thanks.

My main vape is on a vamo, but
--- I also have a chiyou with a kick and kick tube; it has adjustable center pin and as far as I can see, there's very little that can go wrong with it; I see this as my reliable budget device; if the kick goes faulty I could still vape straight on the mech while getting a replacement kick.

My main vape is on a vamo, but
--- I also have a chiyou with a kick and kick tube; it has adjustable center pin and as far as I can see, there's very little that can go wrong with it; I see this as my reliable budget device; if the kick goes faulty I could still vape straight on the mech while getting a replacement kick.

What are kick and kick tube?

I'm not recommending per se, but I did a little quick shopping for ya.

Sigelei Zmax Mini V3 Silver - RTD vapor

Xtar MC1 - RTD vapor

AW IMR 18350 3.7V 700mAh - RTD vapor x2

Top quality batteries (get 2, not 1), a low price but not low quality charger (near bottom of the line of a very reliable brand), and a VV/VW mod with eGo threads that may last a long time for you (yes, it has more features than you want, but you'll get used to them and may like them).

With the "LABOR25" giving you a discount on the mod (but not on the batteries or charger) it comes to $54.57 including shipping. Top notch vendor.

Just a suggestion.

Does the Zmax require two of those batteries? If so, I would want 4 so I can always have some charged.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
What are kick and kick tube?

you can get a kick module to drop into a mech to give you some power control and short circuit protection; almost like a full apv except you dont have a screen that shows you ohms and volts.

Sigelei kick module for mech mod:
1670801-3.jpg

$9.07 Authentic Sigelei Variable Wattage Kick Module for Mechanical Mod - 5-15W at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
•Matching with atomizer in a resistance of 1.5ohm-3.0ohm
•Variable wattage: 5W-15W in 1W increment or decrement
•POR: After power on reset, the KICK will get into the alert status if no atomizer installed
•Low voltage protection (below 3.2V)
•Low resistance protection (below 1.0ohm)
•Short circuit protection
Depth 18.5 mm
Height 17 mm
Width 18.5 mm
Product Weight 5.3 g

replacement kick tube for chi you
1490300-6.jpg

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Does the Zmax require two of those batteries? If so, I would want 4 so I can always have some charged.

the zmax mini just takes the 1 18350.
I'd recommend a full zmax not the mini; it can take a 18650
or 2 stacked 18350's
however, note that battery stacking is generally not recommended; (it has to be done a particular way- stacking protocol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread