• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Wanted to introduce myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fool

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
St. Louis
Hi All,

My name is Laurie and I am a grateful alcoholic. For the record, I celebrated 25 years of continuous sobriety on Jan. 18th of this year, but, we all know that the only day that matters is this one.

I went through treatment twice, once at 23 and then again at 28. There is no doubt in my mind that were it not for this program I would have died years ago from drinking or by my own hand.

I smoked for 40 years and for at least 20 of those years I sincerely wanted to quit. I tried everything, all the products as soon as they came out. Got maybe as much as 3 months together and then I'd break down and buy a pack. Often times it would come down to the feeling that I was either gonna pick up a drink or smoke a cigarette and since sobriety was my priority the cigarette got smoked. I went to Nicotine Anonymous meetings for a while, but they didn't take. It was very demoralizing. I didn't understand why I could work the steps so successfully in one area of my life and fail so completely in another. Oh well, it's kept me humble.

I bought my first e-cigarette as soon as I heard about them, because one promises I have kept to myself is that I would never stop trying to quit. (Winners are losers who keep on trying, right?). I didn't expect much, just thought it would be yet another attempt. Boy, was I wrong! Did the inventor of this thing not hit the nail on the head? They HAD to be a fellow smoker.

It will be 6 months this week since I had my last cigarette. That feels funny to say because I still feel like I'm smoking, but I don't stink, I can breathe and smell and taste and I'm saving a fortune!

I sure hope they don't discover that after vaping for a couple of years your nose falls off, cause I'm gonna be looking pretty funny if that's the case.:p

Anyway, Friends, That's all for now. Keep commin back! It works if you work it!

Lucy05

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Northern Illinois
Hi I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been sober for 26 years this year TG its been years since I attended a meeting, feeling like I had to move on. Smoking was more of an addiction then drinking for me. I have been vaping for over a year now and will never go back to smoking if I have to make the ejuice myself. I am trying to lower the nicotine in each new batch and eventually will only vape 0mg nicotine some day. I plan on continuing this habit, I love the different types of ecigs and all the wonderful flavors. I figure that ecigs have less carcinogens in them then regular cigarettes and if they are bad for you, they can't be worse then regular cigarettes. I have noticed lately after my year of vaping, when I sing and I reach higher notes then before. At least thats a improvement. Glad we have this forum to share!

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Welcome to ECf. I've been vaping for almost 10 mo. and haven't had a smoke after smoking for almost 50 yrs. I started very young. I can't worry about what they don't know instead I worry about what they do know. They know cigarettes cause cancer and other terrible things. People have been vaping for more than 2 yrs in other countries and I haven't heard of anyone having too terrible of health from it.

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
Hey everyone, I haven't posted on the forums for awhile, but somehow found my way back here :D

I'm Jim, i'm an alcoholic/addict, and just celebrated my first continuous year of sobriety on November 11, 2010! Went to my home meeting, was nominated to give a lead and it made it a wonderful way to celebrate 1 year by telling my story and talking about, specifically, step one. :D

One day at a time!

No Brag

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Nebraska
I tried everything, all the products as soon as they came out. Got maybe as much as 3 months together and then I'd break down and buy a pack. Often times it would come down to the feeling that I was either gonna pick up a drink or smoke a cigarette and since sobriety was my priority the cigarette got smoked. QUOTE]

This sounds real familiar for some reason. I tried to quit smoking last year with chantex and had to do the same thing. I don't know if it would have worked or not, but it was the closest I ever came to going back to drinking. I had to make the same choice and keep smoking to save my sobriety. But now with vaping I think I'll make it. Been over a month without a smoke and not problems about drinking either. You are right sobriety is the priority Keep hanging in there and as you allready know we are here if you need us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread