Wanting to get mod but scared..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Frank's ford, in the Caintuck
Be sure to charge the batteries when you get them, before using them. Depending on the charge from the factory (if any) it may take from a few minutes to several hours.

If you are using the TR001 from Mom and Pop, just remember that it continues to trickle charge after the batteries reach 4.2 volts, so you want to monitor the charging process and remove the batteries as soon as you see the light turn green.

Jadesrayne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
oceanside ca
Be sure to charge the batteries when you get them, before using them. Depending on the charge from the factory (if any) it may take from a few minutes to several hours.

If you are using the TR001 from Mom and Pop, just remember that it continues to trickle charge after the batteries reach 4.2 volts, so you want to monitor the charging process and remove the batteries as soon as you see the light turn green.
lol that was what I was going to ask, thought about it after I went to sleep. :toast:

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
So is the cookie tin a good place to charge? Will PV turn off before batt is fully drained or will I need to keep eye on volts?

The problem with a cookie tin is that you will need to keep opening it to check on the status of the charge. The idea of it is to provide a "fire-proof" container if your batteries do suddenly go south while on the charger, but a cookie tin is probably not going to be strong enough to contain the heat in the case of a catastrophic vent. It is better than nothing if you're concerned about "best practice" for charging, but I would suggest that a LiPo bag would be better in that case.

Best of all, though, would be buying a charger that actually stops charging once the battery is at 4.12 to 4.24 volts. Personally I recommend the Xtar WP2 II, as it has independent channels, can charge at 1 amp or 2 amps (1 amp would be your choice for protected 14500s, but 2 amps will charge IMRs and larger batteries much quicker) has over-voltage protection, reverse polarity protection and truly cuts the charge when the battery is full. It is the most inexpensive charger that offers these features, at approximately half the price of the nearest "competitor." The Nitecore Intellicharger looks to be a little better at very close to the same price, but I've read some tests that seem to disprove some of the claims so it's become a bit controversial. The Pila is considered the best, but at $45 I don't think it's worth twice the price of the Xtar. You do have to be careful, as a lot of chargers that claim to stop charging at 4.2 volts actually go into a trickle charge (like the Trustfire TR001). The Trustfire TR001, though, is one of the best chargers in its price-range and one of the most popular chargers on the market, so you'll be fine if you just want to stick with it. Just keep an eye on it while it's charging or buy an LiPO bag for the "safest practice." You should be fine just checking it every 30 minutes to an hour and taking the batteries out when they're done.

As far as discharging the batteries, protected Li-Ions have over-volt and under-volt protection. The over-voltage protection means that theoretically you don't have to worry about over-charging them as they'll "cut off" before they get over-charged. In this case everything I've written above is a "better safe than sorry" thing. The biggest advantage to them, in my opinion*, is the under-voltage protection. The circuitry in the battery will cut itself off at somewhere around 3.2 to 3.5 volts. This means you mod will simply stop working before the battery is damaged, so you really don't have to worry about it. In actual practice, though, the vapour production and taste will probably drop off enough that you want to change the batteries before they're fully drained anyway. So whether you vape 'til it stops or you change the battery according to the taste of your vapour, you don't have to worry about the battery drain.

With the set-up you're getting, you really don't have to worry much at all. The batteries themselves should prevent over-charging (just don't leave them overnight) and they will definitely prevent over-discharging. The two things to keep in mind are that the initial charge might take a fairly long time, and fully charged batteries of this type start at 4.1 to 4.2 volts (where an eGo generally starts at 3.7 volts) so you need to be prepared for more vapour and flavour than you're used to ;)

* Another big advantage is that protected batteries will (almost always) cut off in the case of a dead-short. A dead-short is a case of the battery basically getting no resistance at all and "dumping" its entire charge very quickly. This is the vast majority a causes of catastrophic venting (what people mistaken call "exploding"). The problem is that it almost always cuts off by short circuiting before the battery can vent--which means you don't have catastrophic battery failure but you don't have a battery afterwards either. Very good for safety, can get kind of expensive. It is better to have to replace a battery than to have to go to the hospital, though ;)

I hope this hasn't been too much all at once. Just remember that if you stick with protected batteries and atomizer/cartomizers that are 1.5 ohms or higher you really don't have anything to worry about.

Jadesrayne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
oceanside ca
No no it has been perfect if it had been shorter I would have had more questions. lol It all makes perfect sense I just don't like being like my husband who is " it'll be fine" and leave it at that. I like to know what I am getting into. Better safe than sorry. Now is the hardest part, waiting/ stalking. I think the higher will be great since my twist sits at 4.4-3.8 depending on the juice I have in it. Since I use juice that likes to be above a 3.7 my C doesn't get used much but would work as a great indicator of batt life. :) Seriously I am so happy I made this post I feel super confident now.:2cool:

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Considering what you run the Twist at, this should be perfect. I've never tried a Twist so I don't know how well the voltage stays up under load, but if it's as good as I generally hear then you might not get quite the same performance at the upper end--but I suspect the higher mah and C rating will let the Timber and 14500 hold its own...

Be sure to let us know how you get on with it, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions that might come up :)

Jadesrayne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
oceanside ca
The twist is 1st and last puff is the same, I don't expect it to be like that. I wanted a beautiful show piece that had better performance than the C and from what you said it will be perfect. I love my twist but mainly for dripping, wanted this to be more simple. Plus I work ren. faires, and with sub on it the Timber has a steampunk flare so I can vape and work.

Will happily post review and pic once I get to use it. Noticed there aren't many who have them.

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
Yup I said it I am scared. I fell in love with the timber on the site, as the days inch closer and my research deepens my fear grows. Since it uses a 14500 size/ capability has me worried. Will I be able to drip? do I run a higher risk of "backfires" or fires? Here I am night before the big order and worried . Any one can help calm my fears? or tell me something ?

Thanks in advance!
:unsure:

LOL you still scared if you get scared you pm me or something:):p Love your pic hit it hard Jadesrayne WOOT WOOT !:)

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
as long as you are using IMR batteries, they utilize a safe-chemistry.
They won't explode, they will only melt, and it doesn't happen at all really.
If your buying an electronic mod that has a screen or that allows you to change voltage...
The mod has protection built in to stop an IMR battery from melting before it even begins.
So you really dont need to worry too much about the battery if your not doing anything weird.
You can drip all you'd like. You just need an atomizer to drip.

ROTFL Plumes.91 I love your avatar welcome to M&P lol and Thank you geez I,m still giggling with that one good lord

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
Just read the whole post--he's cleaned it up a bit since the last time I read it and the "generic" information is a lot more accurate now than I remember it. There are still a few problems with specific details, though.

"Battery size
An important consideration in battery safety is simply the physical size of the battery, and its C rating or safe discharge current. These two factors are linked, as small batteries of any type cannot safely run an atomizer, because they are not capable of supplying sufficient current.

Put simply: a larger battery is a safer battery. This means that a battery of sufficient physical size for the task can be of any type, as it will have sufficient safe capacity. The smallest cell this applies to is the 18500 format.
"

14500s are generally 600mah to 900mah. 18500s are generally 800mah to 1100mah. Already there is overlap--if an 800mah 18500 is "safe," why not a 900mah 14500? Also, Ego-style batteries range from 600 to 1300mah, with most sold being 900 or smaller. According to this post, then, Ego-style batteries are incapable of driving an atomizer. And if an eGo can't drive an atomizer, surely all those stick/cigalikes that top out at 180mah, or the "pen-style" that get up to 300mah would be unable to heat a coil.

"Because of this, we think it may be a good idea to rest batteries after charging them. This advice will not be found in the usual 'reference bibles' on batteries but we see more and different reports than others. Therefore we now advise:

Do not use batteries directly after charging them. Use a set you previously charged, and that have rested for several hours.
"

You do need to rest batteries after charging. This is because the charging process is basically a chemical one, and the batteries need a chance for the chemical matrix to stabilize and recrystallize. It usually takes about 10 minutes, and this information is explicitly mentioned in every "battery bible" I've ever seen. Several hours would be fine, but 15-30 minutes should be, also.

The C rating that he talks about needing to know so much is usually the hardest thing to find out about a specific battery. They are very rarely marked. Look for "High Discharge" or "high rate." Avoid "Low Discharge" or "Low Rate." And as long as you're not going under about 1.7 ohms, any battery that doesn't say "low discharge" should be fine. If your batteries don't say anything related to discharge capabilities, feel them when you put them in the mod. Vape normally for about 10 minutes and then feel your batteries. If they are warm, or at least warmer than they were, find different batteries. Try it again after half an hour--if you're a chain vaper they'll probably be at least a little warm, but they should not be hot. If you're only taking a couple of drags every once in a while and the batteries don't feel any warmer than when you put them in, you're good to go. If they're a little warmer, you're probably okay. If they're actually warm, you may want to get other batteries just to be on the safe side, depending on how paranoid you are. I use high-drains and sometimes vape them until they're hot--I just let them cool down a bit and I've never had a problem.

If you're using protected batteries you don't need to worry as the protection is against over-discharge--the battery will shut down before it becomes dangerous (as long as the internal circuitry functions properly). The batteries Mom and Pop sell will be fine with any commercially-available atomizer. And they are protected so they will simply cut-out if you're using a rebuildable and your coil is too low.

Scuba you know where my glasses are honey lol Wow pwyll Thank you this is like a book:ohmy::)

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
Its spookie mod man lol WOOT!:)
rat007.gif

tumblr_mcq7o9HrNX1r56mjgo1_500.gif

Jadesrayne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
oceanside ca
Fun thread to read:toast:! Jaders, I love my Timber. It was a gift, and it's so pretty. It'll be perfect for your fairs. I dedicate mine to Mom and Pop's Tobacco Haze -- a go to smile for me:). Enjoy!!
I love mine as well, :toast:. Posted pic on main thread. I use it for my dripping. Got a brassy looking cannon so it looked good on it lol. Have you posted your vape face yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread