Warning: Cleito coils might be very toxic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ümit

Apr 15, 2017
Last week my friend told me that his cleito started to taste very bad after the new coil head. Since we both use cleito, we exchanged our devices to be sure whether its because of liquid or not, but he was right, it was his coil. Finally we noticed yellowish scraches on his new replacement coil and realised that Aspire Cleito replacement coils were made of brass and electroplated chrome on it.

Apparently the coil was scrached by his nails while he assembling it. We dismantled and broke it into pieces and yes, it was made out of completely brass and plated loosely chrome.
Inhaling heated brass is very toxic since brass is a copper alloy. Considering the danger of the copper fume toxicity, that awfull taste is nothing.

Aspire cleito is a great model with its beautifull taste and vape. I still can't understand why would they made this heated and inhaled part out of a toxic copper alloy? Producing chrome plated brass might be cheaper for them, but we vape because our health matters.

We have two choices;
1-We have to be very carefull while replacing the coil, which is not enough, because chrome layer is not strong at all. I wouldn't surprise if they skipped the copper and nickel plating before chrome process while electroplating.
2-Giving up using cleito.

Aspire Cleito have only one choice; they should stop using copper alloys and make an official statement about this as soon as posible.

Reactions: David Wolf

Ümit

Apr 15, 2017
Um... Didya check to see if they were authentic coils? Cuz that just sounds wrong. :confused:

Both me and my friend bought our coils from different countries from credible suppliers and they all look pretty authentic to me.
Besides Aspire mentions the materials of all parts of the atomizers in their official page "except coils". They say base hardware is stainless steel 304, glass tube is pyrex, drip tip is delrin, coil wire is kanthal but no mention of the material of the replacement coils. So I'm sure there is no mistake.

I advice cleito users (or maybe all aspire users) not to touch coils with solid objects such as metals, nails or toothpicks and not to use acidic ingredients in their liquid such as malic or citric asit and vinegar in order to prevent chrome layer from corrosion. If this acids are not used and the coils are not scrached they will be fine since the coils are not reusable

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Quick reminder; Aspire e-cigs are produced in China
Welcome professor,

Many many many products are produced in China. How is the location of production relevant?

At what temperature do we need to be concerned with producing "copper/brass" fumes?
Exactly HOW dangerous is "copper fume toxicity".

BTW- Guess how many companies use plated brass for consumables?
IE: My Joye CL-R coil housings are all plated brass.:danger:

Cheers
I

Reactions: defdock

Ümit

Apr 15, 2017
To determine if Aspire products are Authentic the most reliable way I know of is using the Aspire Site and checking the scratch off code. To visually inspect and say they look authentic to me doesn't sound like a very accurate method in my opinion.

I scrached the "scrach and check" part at the back of the package and yeap its authentic

Welcome professor,

Many many many products are produced in China. How is the location of production relevant?

At what temperature do we need to be concerned with producing "copper/brass" fumes?
Exactly HOW dangerous is "copper fume toxicity".

Cheers
I

Cook your food in a copper pan without tin plate and eat it, then we can talk about the required temperature of copper toxicity. After your hospital treatment I mean.

If you think location of the production is NOT related to quality then congratulations "professor", you've just demolished the all economic theories. Try to buy a EU car with the same money you buy a Chinese car. If you can't, then your "brilliant" theory is useless.

You can sue an EU based company and can get your money if your health is effected, but can't do the same this easily with a Chinese company.

Cheers
I

Because your brass Joyetech CLR coils are made in ShenZhen China, the same Chinese city where Aspire e-cigs are produced.

You can inhale brass coils, but I don't wan't to inhale toxic metals into my lungs anymore, and its my duty to warn people who cares about their health. Noone can convince me that inhaling plated copper alloys are more reasonable and healtier than stainless steel. The only reason they choose brass is producing brass is cheaper and easier than steel 304

Simple question; why someone chose to make something will be inhaled out of healtier stainless steel over toxic copper alloy?

Neverthless, enjoy your toxic copper alloy coils, I'm done with it. My health is matters, I don't know yours

Cheers

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
1486254235220.jpg

Ümit

Apr 15, 2017
so get the cleito rta system. rolling your own wick and wire is better anyway.

I used to vape RBA, I like all kind of DIY stuff. But couldn't manage to get the same flavour as premade coils and gave up RBA. Flavour is evereything for me. I wouldn't hesitate to get to one of RTA's if I knew I would get a great flavour

spinningreelbest

Moved On
Apr 16, 2017
  • Deleted by Misty

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The only real hazard with brass parts is lead leaching from the brass, if the brass happens to be an alloy that contains lead.

As for "copper and brass fumes", I don't think there's much to worry about as long as the metal in question remains a solid, which it does until something over 900°C for brass and over 1000°C for copper.

Reactions: EddieAdams
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread