WARNING: Do not use the charger or batteries that come with the Vamo 18350 kit (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Here is a link to the kit that includes the dangerous battery and charger combination:

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1376701

Here are some pics of a recent catastrophic failure when using the KK-VV18350 charger and the H.K.L. 800mAh ICR batteries:

First, a shot of the charger after one of the batteries exploded. This was the typical "venting with flames" event that happens when an unprotected ICR cell goes thermal.
oZ5xXAj.jpg

Here are the two batteries, the same make and capacity as those sold in the kit linked above.
Y7L8LlI.jpg

Here is a shot of the damage caused by the event.
M9Jx2Un.jpg

Here is a pic of the charger, the batteries and the charger label:
jxW9qN9.jpg

The charger has an 700ma output capacity for cells rated at 3.6v. While the D.K.L. ICR's have a nominal capacity of 900mAh, testing has shown an actual capacity far lower than that, and highly variable. Whenever a charger hits a battery with a higher charging current than the battery's capacity, overcharging can occur and thermal runaway is possible.

The problem is primarily with the charger, but the ICR chemistry plays a role, too. The charger has a single LED indicator. Most likely, there is no intelligence in the charger and both bays will charge even if one cell reaches a fully charged state. Both are likely to be charged until the second one reaches its fully charged state, or an event like the one depicted above occurs.

If you have not already replaced the batteries and charger with AW or Efest 18350's, do so. Same with the charger. You want a charger like the Nitecore, which has a 500mA max charge current per bay and independent detection of battery chemistry, charge state detection and proper charging current and type.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I dunno. The pics came from an Aussie forum. It looks like a mat/bed at a hunting camp, IYAM.

My First Rule of Charging a Battery is to NEVER place a Charger or a Charging Battery on Anything Flammable!

Hard to tell what the Green Material is. But on top of that is Plastic Sheeting. Which I guess is Better that charging on a Pile of Oily Rags. But Not Much.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
What exactly is Bump?

It keeps a Thread higher in the Recently Posted to Search Order.

When you posted your question, This thread became went to the Top of the Search List. But every time someone posts in another thread, this thread gets kicked down Lower and Lower on the List.

Pretty soon it is so far down that people won't see it anymore.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Got it thanks. I thought the word bump had some special meaning, but now I see one word can move it up. So another bump.

Yep... People say "Bump" when they don't have anything New to Add to the thread but want it to go back up to the Top of the Search List.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
What was that charger sitting on when the Battery Melted Down?

If I had to guess I'd say it was probably plugged into an outlet that was where that large hole in the wall now is, it's a wall charger. I have a couple of these batteries, I use them rarely, and charge them on my i2 charger, but only if I'm sitting next to it.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Oh Snap!!!

Not good!

Most recommended batts are Efest or AW IMR's

wow..just wow...not good at all!

Just the batteries went kablooey or did the charger too? Wonder if the charger was bad and ended up grenading the batteries

It's the charger!!!!!!!!!!
http://forums.aussievapers.com/vapour_tron/6807-warning-charger-model-kv-vv18350-overcharging.html
Other sites have seen the above thread too!
http://allaboute-cigarettes.proboards.com/thread/15580

I wonder if those batteries would be "ok" on even a Nitecore charger instead of that kablooey charger?

So sorry you had to experience that!

Thanks for the find and the heads up! WOW...JUST WOW!

NEEDS A STICKY! For a while anyway!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread