Warning: My Aspire Atlantis coil just FELL APART while I was vaping, and particles got lodged in my throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
I'm coming on here to give a fair warning to everyone, and letting them know that there IS something wrong with these coils. Against my better judgement, I've been using the Aspire Atlantis (not with the new cotton coils), for about 3 weeks now.

Today, as I was vaping, I felt a STRONG burn in the back of my throat, and immeditately started coughing. This was about 30 minutes ago, and I'm still coughing pretty hard every few minutes, and NOTHING will stop it. I can feel whatever it is, stuck in my throat, and can't get it out. It is itching my throat, irritating it, and it hurts.

Suspecting the atlantis coil, because it happened WHILE vaping, I went back downstairs after trying for a good 10 minutes to clear my throat with water, food, ANYTHING. I look inside the drip tip on the altlantis, and lo and behold, I see a BUNCH of gunk from the coil. I've never, in over 3 year of vaping, seen anything like this in a drip tip....not to mention the large parts, I still have no idea what part of the coil it is.

I'll try to get pictures on here later. I just tried now, but I need better lighting.

Right now, I have color, phlegm like material coming from both nose and mouth, because my body is trying to expel whatever it is that is stuck in my throat. I hope for my sake it'll resolve itself, but for now, I'm stuck with a terrible cough, and a feeling in my throat I can't get rid of.

I'm only posting this as a warning to others - be CAREFUL with the Atlantis. I did NOTHING out of the ordinary, and it was only running at 3.8volts (22watts or so).

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
My bet is that it didn't "fell apart", it just spat some pieces of gunked e-liquid.

I think so, too. My Atlantis would frequently make loud popping sounds, and if the coil had dried gunk on it, that popping could blow bits of coil-cake into the vapor stream. I don't know that the coil is relatively badly designed, but I do know that lung hitting provides a straight high-speed path from the coil directly to the throat and lungs.

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think I had the same thing happen to me. I couldn't see any damage to the coil, but my throat felt scratchy until the next day, then it was almost gone. I never saw anything wrong with my throat, where I felt it, it just felt very scratchy.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing that happened to you, but I hope everything is ok and you feel better soon.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
I didn't go to the doctor, or ER guys - I've been there enough to know that if I can make it to the next day, many times its best to wait and see how things are, and judge it from there.

For those thinking this was e-liquid - I should have been clearer. It was particle from the coil. Apparently the mesh on the coil came undone, and the coil fell apart. It was NOT e-liquid , and I have proof of this. There is still particulate matter inside the drip tip, and it looks like ceramic, mixed with silica, and also a gelatin like skin of some sort (THAT could be silica made transparent via e-liquid, who knows).

I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow.

edit: I want to be clear as well, that this was NOT user error. It was a brand new coil (as of today), from a sleeve of coils. I was vaping as a low wattage (23 watts) which came to 3.8volts. I've been vaping for 3 years, and never came across an incident like this.

Also, I have been using the Atlantis WITHOUT any problems until now.....HOWEVER, being that the atlantis is relatively new, and I've only had it about 3 weeks, this was my THIRD coil ever using. So I have NO IDEA the rate of failure on these things.....what I DO know, is there has been a BIG ENOUGH problem with these coils that Atlantis has ALREADY replaced the wicking material in them, due to health concerns.

If you guys ARE going to continue using the Atlantis (I will never pick it up again, period...and will probably discontinue using Aspire products altogether, we will see), then I suggest in the very least you replace your coils with the new cotton ones they've released. Although if the coils are designed the same, I still think the mesh lining combined with the big diameter of the coil, and the big diameter of the drip tip is enough to cause future problems for people.

Hope no one else has this happen to them. My throat is still irritated, although it has gotten substantially better. I'm not coughing as much as I was, and snot has stopped coming out of my nose. Ugh.

Last edited:

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Well then you should give up on the Atlantis. I gave up on mine after just one day. I believe it's poorly designed.

I agree with you entirely. Refer to my edit above, which I typed out at the same time as your post.

Believe me, you would have to be insane, or have a death wish to continue using a product as dangerous as the Atlantis after something like this happens. I'm just fortunate (and still hoping) nothing worse comes out of this.

That is why I posted this warning immediately. I'm not a fear monger, and I mostly mind my own business. I wouldn't post a warning like this on a forum if I wasn't truly worried for others out there. I meant it when I said I hope no one else has to go through this.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Odd, I have over 220mls of 2 different 50/50 non sweet tobacco flavors through one Atlantis head usually at 38.5w with no problems, particles, burnt tastes, reduction in flavor or vapor.
Using my known coil / head killer juice flavor I usually get 30ml - 40ml. with no issues.

Ive used about a dozen atlantis heads, never had a single problem from any of them confirmed authentic.

I do hope you're alright / not injured, don't blame you for being .......

milescadre

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
this is the major reason I topped using my atlantis tank. After watching several videos where the wicking just disintigrated in peoples fingers, I put it down and walked away.

If we can confirm 100% OCC heads for the atlantis, I may reconsider it. but until then, I wont be using mine any further.

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
I've gotten a few black, glass-looking scooby snacks from my Nautys

Occasionally, and I do mean occasionally, I have noticed liquid that seems to crystalize. Not sure what requirements increase these odds, but I drip 100% of the time and keep my RDAs in plastic tubes stuffed with tissue for obvious reasons when not in use. I'll find these crystals inside the storage tubes once in a while. Not saying that's what you found in your atty but I hope that's the case.

Really terrible situation to have a product doing these things to honest folk. Need to have a recall on all the heads with the flaw ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread