Washington State Bills to tax vaping 95%, ban ALL flavors & prohibit internet sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
HB 1645 HB 1645 - 2015-16
SB 5573 SB 5573 - 2015-16

These companion bills
  • impose 95% tax on all vapor products, liquids, hardware
  • ban ALL flavors including "tobacco flavor" (except menthol)
  • prohibit internet sales
  • prohibit the sale of e-liquid with nicotine higher than 10mg/mL

If passed these bills will mean the death of vaping in WA state, the complete annihilation of the WA vaping industry and vendors, would force all current vapers onto the black market, and prevent 1.4 million WA smokers from making the switch to 99.98% safer vaping.

Contact your representatives now!

Last edited:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
We need to mount overwhelming opposition to these bills and the sooner the better.

If you recall, a very similar bill was defeated during last year's legislative session, only to be reintroduced this year with even more draconian measures. This time we need to not only kill this bill, but also make it political suicide for any legislator ever attempting something like this again. The only way to accomplish that is to display overwhelming opposition and to expose the corruption and moral bankruptcy that created the bill in the first place.

R Coy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
We need to mount overwhelming opposition to these bills and the sooner the better.

If you recall, a very similar bill was defeated during last year's legislative session, only to be reintroduced this year with even more draconian measures. This time we need to not only kill this bill, but also make it political suicide for any legislator ever attempting something like this again. The only way to accomplish that is to display overwhelming opposition and to expose the corruption and moral bankruptcy that created the bill in the first place.

This is what I sent to our legislators:

I smoked for 38 years, my wife Cindy for 33. We tried all the cessation products available to us and had very little sucess. Last year I tried a

"cigalike" from a gas station, and while I found it reasonably effective, they were actually more expensive than conventional cigarettes. I then went

to a local "vape" store and purchased an inexpensive refillable setup for each of us, and some eliquid. That was the end of the line for my smoking

habit, I haven't smoked in 13 months. Cindy had a bit more trouble, but we shopped around and eventually came across a combination of gear

and liquid that enabled her to quit for good. (Online, from out of state.) We both started with 24 mg/ml liquid but are reducing the nicotine content

gradually. (I am now vaping 3 mg/ml, Cindy, 6 mg/ml) I vape a wide variety of fruits and custards, not a tobacco, mint or menthol to be found.

I purchase local as much as possible, and vendors like Ecigexpress in Bellingham and VapeNW in Federal Way carry a wide variety of quality

products at affordable prices. (And, I assume provide jobs for people) However, some of the items are just more affordable or available from out

of state, and limiting that would possibly have resulted in one or both of us resuming smoking.

We both feel much better and it is a delight to be able to breathe again, and have our home and car not reek like an ashtray.

I believe that we as a state would probably save more in increased productivity and lowered health care costs than the proposed tax revenues if

every smoker switched to vaping tomorrow.

These proposals, while you probably cannot tell from my letter have enraged me and I fully intend to pass along to everyone in my sphere of

influence my feelings on this matter. I vote, Cindy votes and we will be encouraging everyone we know to pay attention to this misguided

legislation.

To make it a crime to purchase vape gear or liquid online is almost laughably stupid and shortsighted.
Batteries, atomizers, electronic "mods" are all usable with 0mg liquids and therefore should not

be taxed anymore than lighters or humidors for cigars or glasses and cocktail shakers for liquor should be.

I read a bit about vaping being a "gateway" to smoking for youth. Really? Can anyone show documentation confirming that anyone anywhere ever

went from inhaling a pleasant mild vapor to sucking exhaust? I took a pull on a conventional cigarette 4 months or so ago and confirmed to myself

that it was terrible. Vaping among my younger relatives is a hobby, and almost always done with very low nicotine levels, and none of them have

ever expressed the desire to smoke tobacco instead, unless of course, vaping doubles in cost and the selection of devices and liquids is

reduced to nearly nothing.

The preponderance of evidence suggests that vaping may have some minimal associated hazards, but the evidence on tobacco is that it will

slowly, painfully, expensively kill you.

I encourage you to do real research and reach your own conclusions, but I am convinced that if you do you will fell the same way we do regarding

these bills put forth for your examination.

Respectfully,

R Coy

SHOCK COLLAR

Jan 11, 2015
N.Cal
Preliminary data shows consistent trends for cigarette smoking, indicating e-cigarette use is completely additional.
and can be a gateway to smoking cigarettes and using other tobacco products.?
So they already smoke and vape as a crutch but vaping CAN lead them to smoking?
"We must have a system in place like our well-honed tobacco control and prevention efforts that help prevent initial use to begin with...." well-honed?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
There is a 95% tax on e lliquid in MN. Apparently the retailer pays the tax on delivery. Devices and 0 nic are not subject to the tax. I don't think there is regulation on internet sales either. It sounds like NC has something similar except some pennies per ml. Going farther than that might create compliance problems, as in defiance of the law by consumers. There might be a legal problems using tobacco authority to tax things that don't contain tobacco products like devices and 0 nic liquid. The MN and NC taxes will collect a trivail amount of money, discourage people from opening vape shops, create work for the shop keepers and reduce wholesale and retail margins. It's bad for business and shows contempt for people trying to quit smoking. Washington might end up offering the same deal as MN and NC and that may be what they have in mind. States often imitate each other.

I agree with Bismark, the US Consitution is the greatest invention of men. From there things go down hill fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread