The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Washington State HB1645 is back and moving full steam

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by squee, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. squee

squee Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Central CT
    • Like Like x 7
  2. 2buildawall

2buildawall Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 29, 2014
    Bellingham
    Here we go again. Time to stock up, quit, or move.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Unothegreat

Unothegreat Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 17, 2015
    I'm glad for a lot of reasons that I moved out if that state over a year ago. I can add this to the list!

• Like Like x 4
  4. 2legsshrt

2legsshrt Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    Yep that sounds like more stupid BS. They are bound and determined to stop this evil vaping stuff. I just don't get it. With so many really bad things going on why they pick on this so much. Effective right before the election so vote any politician who endorses this out to their golden parachute.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Yiana

Yiana Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Planet Earth
    But yet you can get "other stuff" there no problemo. :facepalm: It is utterly insane!

• Like Like x 8
  6. 2legsshrt

Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    We should be getting a boatload of Syrians soon. That's OK we'll be taxed to pay their wages and medical. This Inslee has got to go.

• Like Like x 4
  7. 2legsshrt

Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    Vote against Jay Inslee:
    As the Washington Legislature considers how it will fund the state’s 2016 budget,
    Washington Gov. Jay Inslee is continuing his push for excessive taxes and
    harmful bans. Gov. Inslee is asking that the Legislature’s budget do the
    following:

• apply a 95% sales tax on all vapor product devices, components, and liquids;

• ban all online sales to WA residents;

• ban all flavors other than tobacco, mint, wintergreen, and menthol;

• ban sampling in all vape shops

• Like Like x 3
  8. squee

Nov 12, 2013
    Central CT
    Wondering where this info came from as there isn't any tax or flavor ban in the bill that passed the house.

• Like Like x 3
  9. 2legsshrt

Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    No this is in Gov. Jay (I've never seen a tax I don't love) Inslees budget proposal for 2016 same as last years.

• Like Like x 3
  10. 2legsshrt

Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    The problem I see is if he bans everything how is he going to make any money on the taxes.

• Like Like x 4
  11. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Store bought, Pre-Filled, Closed System Cartridges made by BT and BV?

• Like Like x 5
  12. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    I would drive out of
    I read the bill. Most all the cigarettes available on the market are sold on just about every street corner in America. Not true of vaping stuff. No state sized area has a fraction of the vape shops as cigarette sellers so banning mail order would make vaping stuff unobtainable for many people.

Another important thing the bill proposes to do is criminalize possession by minors. There is probably an existing law banning possession of tobacco cigarettes by kids, and as we know, such laws are never ever enforced. If the police enforce an ecig ban without enforcing a tobacco ban the drug dealer appearance becomes loud and clear and that will encourage kids to smoke instead of vape.

The governor is not a complicated guy, he just wants money. He doesn't care how it is collected or from who or who gets hurt. His ecig proposal might be an expendable bargaining chip. He'll give on that if he gets his money some other way. The bill has nothing to do with public health and would make it worse, not better and the governor knows that and he doesn't give a damn.

The ban on nic concentrate is interesting. I bet the online nic vendors are getting a LOT of orders from Washington state right about now. Now that the drug dealers can't make money selling illegal herb in Washington why not illegal nic?

• Like Like x 3
  13. 2legsshrt

Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    You better believe the nic vendors are getting tons of orders. I heard that MFS won't even sell any 200mg just 100mg but I know people who have several liters of it. Enough for several lifetimes. I only use 3mg so I don't need so much but I only use Temp Controlled vaping so getting enough equipment is a little more expensive. I don't want to have to go back to Kanthal but I would if I had to. Seems like I've been through this stockpiling crap too many times but at least it makes people better prepared. The problem lies in the people who don't do it yet but figure out it is a great way to quit smoking and much more healthful then smoking won't have any choice except whats offered by BT and BP
    But, but we have to think of all the kids we are saving, YEAH RIGHT. Kids don't have that kind of money, but its cheaper then smoking, not if you like the better things that are available. I have about 2K invested in equipment.

• Like Like x 5
  14. MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Sad, Washington like CA seems like deep doo-doo for independent vaping.

:) Good luck all.

• Like Like x 4
  15. 2buildawall

2buildawall Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 29, 2014
    Bellingham
    This is the exact reason James Thompson packed up Mt Baker Vapor and moved to AZ. 120 jobs gone in a flash out of Whatcom County.

I am surprised vape products have lasted this long. The dems will keep at this until it passes, all of it. I say dems because the vote on vaping has been along party lines. The LCB or whatever it is now
    needs something to do. They do not know what to do with the other legal stuff yet.

My local reps Buys and Van Werven have voted against HB 1645 in all of its forms and incarnations. By the time it does pass it will have had five votes and who knows how many revisions. What a waste of taxpayer time and money for so little return.

• Like Like x 4
  16. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Hard to understand. Used to be social liberals fought back tooth and nail against any government imperative to normalize behavior. Now it seems to be in fashion for progressives. Strike that, regressives. Me, I'm a libertarian. I say live and let live. A rebel, all my life. Can't see anyone gaining in the long run from messin' with other people's business.

Good luck all.

:)

• Like Like x 9
  17. JCinFLA

JCinFLA Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2015
    So, what will they do...stop people at the state lines and check their vehicles for vaping stuff bought elsewhere & being brought into the state? Don't get me wrong, I think that bill stinks, but...seems to me, where there's a will there's a way to get what you want/need for vaping. Crossing state lines to buy it, having friends out of state bring it to you to ship it to you, buying things ahead of time and stashing it, etc., etc. It will ban "sales" of vaping stuff...well, how about trading for it, bartering, etc.?

• Like Like x 2
  18. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    JC we got a similar problem in FL. By some measure worse as it would criminalize possession in any "smoke free" safe-zone. Check out the posts on the thread...Florida HB 1143 ? The shameless audacity of these people to blatantly infer the equivalency of vaping and "combustion". They care nothing about language and so nothing at all about lawfulness. What troubles me is the certainty with which they're proceeding. As if, they have nothing to worry about. We're cellophane.

Good luck. :|

• Like Like x 6
  19. squee

Nov 12, 2013
    Central CT
    Update:

IN THE SENATE
    Feb 16 First reading, referred to Health Care.

• Like Like x 4
  20. shoreline

shoreline Accessories Supplier

Jul 30, 2013
    Virginia
    Here are the numbers, if your senator is on there, call them. From WA Senate Health Care Subcommittee: Health Care Committee Members & Staff

Committee Members
    Senator Room Phone
    Becker, Randi (R)
    Chair 110 Irv Newhouse Building (360) 786-7602
    Dammeier, Bruce (R)
    Vice Chair 205 Irv Newhouse Building (360) 786-7648
    Cleveland, Annette (D)
    Ranking Minority Member 220 John A. Cherberg Building (360) 786-7696
    Angel, Jan (R) 203 Irv Newhouse Building (360) 786-7650
    Bailey, Barbara (R) 109B Irv Newhouse Building (360) 786-7618
    Baumgartner, Michael (R) 404 Legislative Building (360) 786-7610
    Brown, Sharon (R) 202 Irv Newhouse Building (360) 786-7614