Wasp Nano safe to squonk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    I'm thinking of buying my first bottom feeding mod (Dovpo Topside Dual) to supercharge my Wotofo Profile RDTA (great flavor when freshly dripped, not perfect wicking performance), and remembered that I own an rda that is squonk-capable: the Wasp Nano. However, I have noticed that most modern bottom feeding positive pins tend to be hex screws, while the pin on my Wasp Nano is a flathead screw with the slot running the whole diameter of the pin, meaning the juice is going to have an easier time escaping between the pins of the mod and the rda into the mod's 510 connector. Now, it's not like the pins create a perfectly sealed channel even when the edges are flat, but it seems like the flathead pins are extra dangerous in this regard, or am I just worrying too much about it?

Last edited:

RuiG

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 4, 2019
    Portugal
    I'm thinking of buying my first bottom feeding mod (Dovpo Topside Dual) to supercharge my Wotofo Profile RDTA (great flavor when freshly dripped, not perfect wicking performance), and remembered that I own an RDA that is squonk-capable: the Wasp Nano. However, I have noticed that most modern bottom feeding positive pins tend to be hex screws, while the pin on my Wasp Nano is a Philips screw with the slot running the whole diameter of the pin, meaning the juice is going to have an easier time escaping between the pins of the mod and the RDA into the mod's 510 connector. Now, it's not like the pins create a perfectly sealed channel even when the edges are flat, but it seems like the Philips pins are extra dangerous in this regard, or am I just worrying too much about it?

I actually changed the squonk pins on my Wasp Nanos just in case but they worked great before the change.

Just a side note on the Topside, don't squonk/squeeze too hard on the bottle.

• Useful
    Reactions: Ionori

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    @RuiG well, that's ominous, what happens if I squeeze too hard?

@puffon I'm more concerned about the liquid wrecking the mod rather than leaking out, though that would be annoying too. I've heard some complaints about liquid getting inside the Topside Dual and frying the board.

Maybe you should research the pin size and threading and see if Fasttech sells a BF pin with a hex head that fits the Wasp Nano.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    No such luck, it seems, there are only 3 similar-looking pins on FT and the dimensions are different.

Fatdaddyvapes sells 2 different sizes. If you can find out what the size is for the Wasp Nano, maybe one of them will fit?

FatDaddyVapes.com sells hex BF pins in M2.5x11mm and M3x11mm.

1448258713.jpg
    BF RDA Replacement Contacts

The leak comes from the flat head contact!

Replace it with these 316 Medical Grade SS 2mm allen-keyed contacts. 9mm w/ 4mm diameter X 2.5mm height bottom flange. 9mm thread height. Replaces standard M2.5 or M3 screws only. File to size.

$3.99 (Set of 3)

RuiG

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 4, 2019
    Portugal
    Maybe you should research the pin size and threading and see if Fasttech sells a BF pin with a hex head that fits the Wasp Nano.

The Topside, at least the original ones single and double, have a lot of reports of leaking inside the mod. Bottle action shouldn't be hard.

This squonk pins work 100%
    Replacement Bottom Feeding Pin for 22mm / 24mm GOON RDA Atomizer (3-Pack)
    Gold, 3-Pack / SKU: 7418501
    $3.75 Replacement Bottom Feeding Pin for 22mm / 24mm GOON RDA Atomizer (3-Pack) 3-pack at FastTech - Free Shipping

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 19, 2015
    I'm thinking of buying my first bottom feeding mod (Dovpo Topside Dual) to supercharge my Wotofo Profile RDTA (great flavor when freshly dripped, not perfect wicking performance), and remembered that I own an RDA that is squonk-capable: the Wasp Nano. However, I have noticed that most modern bottom feeding positive pins tend to be hex screws, while the pin on my Wasp Nano is a Philips screw with the slot running the whole diameter of the pin, meaning the juice is going to have an easier time escaping between the pins of the mod and the RDA into the mod's 510 connector. Now, it's not like the pins create a perfectly sealed channel even when the edges are flat, but it seems like the Philips pins are extra dangerous in this regard, or am I just worrying too much about it?
    That's not a Phillips head.It's a flathead squonk pin.

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    @RuiG the dimensions don't match the ones on the Wasp Nano BF Pin page, but I'll double check myself. Do you think it's a good idea to buy the Topside Dual despite the reports of leaking, or should I wait for another 2+ battery squonk mod? Ideally I want a sub-$120 DNA 250C mod or a sub-$50 non-DNA mod.

@Vinnybagodoughnuts derp, thanks.

RuiG

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 4, 2019
    Portugal
    @RuiG the dimensions don't match the ones on the Wasp Nano BF Pin page, but I'll double check myself. Do you think it's a good idea to buy the Topside Dual despite the reports of leaking, or should I wait for another 2+ battery squonk mod? Ideally I want a sub-$120 DNA 250C mod or a sub-$50 non-DNA mod.

@Vinnybagodoughnuts derp, thanks.

I am using them on my 2 Wasp Nanos and they are a perfect fit.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I found your observations to be quite good, I never put the screw head together with the leak. My Nano's leak considerably. The leaking is improved some by a cautious gentle squeeze on the bottle and an O-ring on the 510. That being said the Nano is my favorite atomizer and I have two of them rotating dally and have for a long time. The ease of the build and the flavor make up for the need to wipe them down more that the Entheon's that I also use.
    For the price, I am going to give the screws/pins that @RuiG suggested.

I'm thinking of buying my first bottom feeding mod (Dovpo Topside Dual) to supercharge my Wotofo Profile RDTA (great flavor when freshly dripped, not perfect wicking performance), and remembered that I own an RDA that is squonk-capable: the Wasp Nano. However, I have noticed that most modern bottom feeding positive pins tend to be hex screws, while the pin on my Wasp Nano is a flathead screw with the slot running the whole diameter of the pin, meaning the juice is going to have an easier time escaping between the pins of the mod and the RDA into the mod's 510 connector. Now, it's not like the pins create a perfectly sealed channel even when the edges are flat, but it seems like the flathead pins are extra dangerous in this regard, or am I just worrying too much about it?

Last edited:
    • Optimistic

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    @Ionori, I don't know if something like the Steam Crave Hadron with the Squonk Backpack would be of interest to you.

As they're dual 21700 and with at least four Molicel P42A 21700 cells you can run low resistance builds with a greater margin of safety and for a longer time.

It's just an idea though.
    That thing looks amazing. Don't know why the Topside has so much more mindshare. Can't seem to find a video of the mod's internal, but one person did show the internal of the squonk backpack, which seemed robust enough, one thing that jumped out at me was the presence of zip-ties around the little silicone(?) pipe that passed eliquid within the backpack, which was not present on Dovpo Topside photos.

Is there any reason I shouldn't get the Hadron + squonk backpack?

borno

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 31, 2019
    land of pleasant living
    I'm thinking of buying my first bottom feeding mod (Dovpo Topside Dual) to supercharge my Wotofo Profile RDTA (great flavor when freshly dripped, not perfect wicking performance), and remembered that I own an RDA that is squonk-capable: the Wasp Nano. However, I have noticed that most modern bottom feeding positive pins tend to be hex screws, while the pin on my Wasp Nano is a flathead screw with the slot running the whole diameter of the pin, meaning the juice is going to have an easier time escaping between the pins of the mod and the RDA into the mod's 510 connector. Now, it's not like the pins create a perfectly sealed channel even when the edges are flat, but it seems like the flathead pins are extra dangerous in this regard, or am I just worrying too much about it?
    I had the same thoughts when I saw the slotted screw on mine. I have 3 that came on my oumier BF squonk mods and have been using 1 as a dripper. I'm going to get some of those replacement pins too.:)

• Optimistic

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Before there were attys with squonk pins we used to hammer out the pins and cut a groove along the pin, or even cut the insulator leaving a hole for juice. Anything to create a juice path into the atty.
    Having a hex head squonk pin is not necessary to prevent leaking.

Here's an example of a Vector being modded to BF
    (before Catfish started doing them)
    RDA - Modded the Vector for Bottom Feeding

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread