watch out for WINDOWS RECOVERY VIRUSfrom ecig site or ecig utube videos!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alongo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Protem, Missouri
I keep getting this windows recovery virus, has infected 2 computer. The only places I,ve been is this forum, trusted vendors from this site and utube to watch ecig videos. Its a nasty virus that acts like its scanning your computer, then wants you to pay to get it removed, I can get rid of it with webroot and malware but it keeps coming back. Just a heads up. Als

MitchellBeans

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
The other day my Kaspersky popped up with warnings about this site. It seems, at least for a while, the web code was injected with malicious items.

I would tell everyone to get a decent antivirus solution, no matter your platform. For Windows, I would say Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials and Kaspersky are king. Do not bother with AVG, Avira, Norton or McAffe ... as far as the Mac users .. well, security by obscurity I suppose... and I guess there is still someone who uses Linux, in which case they already have 12 images a day as backup and will recompile the kernel in the off chance someone bothered targetting them.

:)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
1) I don't use Java (if you need it sometimes, you can disable the add ins it if you aren't using it at the moment)
2) I use an add blocker (ECF won't/can't really suggest that)
3) I use anti-virus software updated several times a day and hardware firewalls

Haven't seen any popups or AV warnings. Any history on what the messages are that are popping up??????? Curious minds want to know.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
The other day my Kaspersky popped up with warnings about this site. It seems, at least for a while, the web code was injected with malicious items.

I would tell everyone to get a decent antivirus solution, no matter your platform. For Windows, I would say Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials and Kaspersky are king. Do not bother with AVG, Avira, Norton or McAffe ... as far as the Mac users .. well, security by obscurity I suppose... and I guess there is still someone who uses Linux, in which case they already have 12 images a day as backup and will recompile the kernel in the off chance someone bothered targetting them.

:)

I can't speak highly of MS Security Essentials, I was using it the other day on my laptop when I got infected with the Windows Recovery virus. I'm currently trying out Avast. The Sandbox option looks promising for running suspicious apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread