Watch your GeekVape G-Box Squonker Hazardous Failure Mode!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
This morning I went to refill the bottle in one of my G-Box squonkers. Pulled the bottle only, filled it, and replaced it. When I closed the battery/bottle door I gave it a firm push to ensure it was latched and the device started constantly firing. The control PCB was not turned on. I removed the batteries, let the unit cool and replaced them. Again continuous firing. I fully disassembled the device and found no signs of faulty components or wiring. The internal area was void of moisture. I have sent emails to both GeekVape US and China.

Obviously this is a potentially hazardous failure mode that could cause damage to users and property. The firing was intense and heated the entire upper portion of the unit rapidly.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Ohhhh that kinda sucks. How old was it?

Not sure. I have two that are identical. One is about three months old the other about a month. I got conformation that there was another instance of this on another forum. Unfortunately it is not an isolated case. I just hoping no one gets hurt. I was lucky and with it when it started.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Wow! that will be something ill be looking out for, i have had mine for 4 months now i think and have had zero issues aside from the paint wearing off.
I truly hope you don't have a problem but it is nothing to play with. I would not leave it unattended with batteries in it and I would be reluctant to put it in a pocket for any length of time. So far there are only two cases that I know of. I am not throwing my second one out but I am going to use precautions. I have had zero issues up until now.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
This is a bit why squonkers scare me man, but I'm glad you are okay and that Geekvape is handling it well and etc. Good luck! I hope the engineers can figure out the cause. You were lucky to not get hurt.

Anna
The fact it is a squonk mod has nothing to do with it, any mod can fail. The exo skeleton by WISMEC is a good example of that (see attached photo). There is no reason to fear a squonk mod over any other mod. I don't put too much faith in cheap, mass produced Chinese electronics in general.
images (1).jpeg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Great. LOL, I mean I know that but like every cell in my brain is screaming at me "YOU KNOW SMOKING IS SAFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I understand it is the demon cigarettes telling me that, not all the dead, exploded mods. The only times I've ever had a mod fail was when it stopped working, too, and I've heartily (inadvertently) abused a TON of mods. Etc.

Pay this post no mind. Sorry to hear about the scary vaping (not so much necessarily squonking) incident and etc. LOL.

Anna

Reactions: Mysteron

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
This is a bit why squonkers scare me man, but I'm glad you are okay and that Geekvape is handling it well and etc. Good luck! I hope the engineers can figure out the cause. You were lucky to not get hurt.

Anna

It's not my intention to freak anyone out. Things fail. I always think of Battery Mooch "There is no safe". I also hear Yoda's voice in my head with that statement. I think it important to report incidences like this so folks can take necessary precautions.

GTVH

Jul 30, 2018
Central California
Very cool to hear a company standing behind their product. I'm sure the second go around will be much more satisfying.
Last update was that their engineers had been able to determine the root cause and that a replacement was on sent out.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Seems GeekVape's customer service has been excellent. Glad you are getting a new one.

Very cool to hear a company standing behind their product. I'm sure the second go around will be much more satisfying.

Absolutely! The problem itself was not as big of an issue as was what would the company do with the problem. GeekVape did very well. This is how it's done right. Do your best to design and test then release it to the field and continue to watch it. Modify as necessary. I flat out thanked GeekVape and told them that I considered it a positive experience per their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread