Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There are a lot of words like “may” and “might” in it. It’s not totally impossible I suppose. The particulars of the study aren’t discussed.
One of the things I’ve found that needs to be looked at hard with mouse studies and detection studies is how much are they actually talking about and how much actual effect there might be. Some detection techniques have gotten very very sensitive, and I’ve noticed that when they say “some” it is because they are avoiding saying how small the actual number is. Remember there is a lot of money coming from several directions that badly want to kill e-cigarettes. Some of it cares who it might kill in the process but most of it really really doesn’t.

The various ingredients in e-cigarettes, with the exception of the actual nicotine have been tested separately and are GRAS. It would have to be the nicotine specifically or a combination of the chemicals involved which is somehow worse than them separately, and even then it would need to be worse than, say, regular city air. Which often turns out not to be the case.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Right, I don’t really trust this study at all. Also, it’s really weird they come up with this stuff now when a lot of members from this very same forum have been vaping for years and they have never had any issues.
We’re seeing a lot of resurgence of previously debunked stuff suddenly rushing back.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Having worked in the medical field for over 30 years, I agree with all previous replies. Studies can be manipulated to suit the sponsor's agenda by cherry picking findings. It's not a reliable study unless a separate group finds the exact same results. Ever heard the term double blind study?

How Chantix was ever approved for the consumer market is beyond my comprehension except that the manufacturer must have paid money to the FDA under the table.

Chantix blamed for 3,063 serious injuries and 78 deaths

FDA medical adviser: 'Congress is owned by pharma'

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think I’m better off not trying to get news on vaping lol :lol:
Just based on the earliest studies on e-cigarretes, reports of harmful chemicals like formaldahide were found to be present in vapor. Upon deeper scrutiny of that study, only miniscule traces could be detected, while compared to cigarette smoke which had something like 400 tmes that amount. Just a small detail like that makes it a flawed study for harm reduction. At the very least, it was a misrepresentation of the truth. Plus, the people who do these studies realize they won't be chosen to do another study by the same sponsor if they don't find the results the sponsor was looking for. That's the reason why double blind studies are important.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If I had to be a mouse in a study it sounds like that would be the one to be in.

I mean, all mouse studies mean you are dead on the table with your guts under a microscope by the end.

But lets face it, if you had to be in a mouse study for like science, none of this "learn the maze for the cheese" bit I WANNA VAPE.

Also, as a human I would like to vape and somehow, I am finding this mouse study very unconvincing because...……… science!

And not just even science this time, GOOD science versus BAD science.

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Poor mice, them and cell sitting in culture dishes minding their own business are getting the crap beat out of them.

JCI is an extremely well regarded, peer reviewed (as in legitimate, not "yeah sure, we reviewed it and thought it was OK and there were no typos) journal so writing off what's being formally published isn't the wise course of action. I would note that right up front in their summary they state

"Here, we show that compared with smoke exposure, mice receiving ENDS vapor for 4 months failed to develop pulmonary inflammation or emphysema. However, ENDS exposure, independent of nicotine, altered lung lipid homeostasis in alveolar macrophages and epithelial cells."

We're back to safer than cigarettes, not safe. The fact there may be some disruption of lipid homeostasis may be important as contributing to why the reactions to vaping THC Vitamin E enhanced vape oil was more irritating and aggressive as it was. As to regular e cigs/ENDS/ non-cannabis like us people vape, experience to date is consistent with that first sentence. However, I have zero problem with people doing long term longitudinal studies on vapers to monitor for possible long term health risks. As to testing the solvents used, sure, why not? And if it translates to real issues in real life situations, I'd love to know now that I'll be vaping my own flavored juice as long as I want to or until I'm dead (hopefully not from vaping, but let's fact it, none of us get out of here alive).

Now, as to the news source, they need to learn how to read medical literature without turning stuff into click bait.

Edit: this isn't bad science, this is bad science reporting by a news source who cherry picked through and got some click bait quotes that might not even have been said. We've seen it before, and we'll see it over and over again in the future.

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
I agree with the fact that the reporting of these studies is not exactly the best. Considering the attention span of most people nowadays, they see the title and assume something that may or may not be true. It gets worse when there are doctors and science channels on YouTube reporting these things.

Now, they’re clinging on the idea of “hundreds of lung illness cases have been detected and linked to vaping” but there are so many people out there that have presented no issues with vaping through years of having picked up the habit. So I think all of that should be researched. It’s extremely interesting to me.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Right !. It's no good asking people who don't vape what they think of vaping. Come and ask those people who've been vaping endlessly for years about their health. Hundreds of thousands visit these forums but i don't see any government funded studies taking place in this hive of vaping activity. They must be out of their minds. Or just plain stupid !. Like this recent activity regarding a flavour ban in North America. They should come here and ask us !.

It's always seems to be the way that it's us asking them to reconsider regulations. But they never actually come to places like this where all the vapers hang out and actually find out first hand what it's all about from the real guinea-pigs, mice, whatever !.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Now, they’re clinging on the idea of “hundreds of lung illness cases have been detected and linked to vaping” but there are so many people out there that have presented no issues with vaping through years of having picked up the habit.
I believe this is largely a question of what a person vapes. PG, VG, nicotine, and appropriate food flavorings seem to be pretty much problem free.

Most of those with lung damage have admitted to vaping THC products, and the common thread with those products causing problems seems to be an inappropriate "thickener".

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
An acquaintance of mine lost their cat because they carelessly left chocolate out, and they weren't aware cats should not eat chocolate. Apparently the toxic agent in chocolate is theobromine. It is poisonous to us too, but our bodies are larger, and we are able to process the small amount of theobromine. Poisons in foods are common. I could bring up the lima bean story as an example, but you all know what I am getting at...

I accept that e-liquid may contain trace amounts of poisonous chemicals. Vaping is still about harm reduction, not 100% harm removal. Dose of those poisons and the effect on mice doesn't necessarily tell us much about the impact on humans.

p.s. I suggest we ban chocolate because it contains a poisonous chemical. Kidding! Really, kidding!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Cats too? This must be the only thing cats and dogs have in common.

But yes, our bodies are BUIILT to handle and process toxins, they really are.

I smoked for over 20 years and at the end I was at 3 ppd. Other than the last 18 months or so, it really wasn't that unpleasant or even affecting my health that much. I mean it was, but not with the type of insane urgency it did at the end.

The body is built to handle and filter toxins but the problem becomes when the toxin load becomes overwhelming.

I genuinely believe that before all the additives, tobacco was less bad for you. My PCP agreed in a way, I told him I couldn't regulate my smoking at all so about 6 years in I began smoking additive free cigarettes. He was like, "That's probably why you aren't dead yet."

A lot of hazardous things do not actually need to be as hazardous as they are, it's just something about human nature these days where you can only get your hands on a certain seed that requires a very toxic use of pesticides, people deliberately adding "additives" that are addictive, etc.

It's sort of unfortunate, and yet, life expectancy does keep expanding although I think predictions on that are that it will actually decrease after the boomer generation. I can't remember.

I read a study on picky eating once and actually it was fairly interesting .Genetically, it makes sense to only try a very small bit of food (it might be poisonous) during hunter gatherer times. So babies are born with the natural tendency to like, not be so into a food until it is presented 3 times (and with no, "You have to take a bite.") I thought it was interesting. Then you have the type of baby I was, I would do things like happily eat the escargots that the rest of the family found disgusting (I was like, 2.)

I also have a stomach of cast iron, apart from occasionally puking while drinking (and it was occasional) I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I have gotten a stomach bug/food poisoning. I wonder if the two things are connected.

I would make an excellent Food Taster for the Court-- or maybe not. Because the arsenic in the special dish wouldn't phase me but the king would die. Maybe they need someone weak and pathetic and limp to taste their food and then start vomiting blood, etc.

Anna

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Any thoughts on this study?

Vaping may disrupt immune cells in the lungs, mouse study finds

If I understood correctly, despite mentioning the THC issue, they are also trying to imply that regular, legal vaping may be the culprit for many of the lung illnesses that have came up recently.
We're inhaling stuff.
When your standard is "only clean air", then anything "causes damage". Watch:

"Standing by a roadside with auto exhaust may damage the lungs".
"Living down-wind of a power plant shows damage to lungs."
See?

Dang cars and power plants. Ban them....
;)

Vaping is really about harm reduction for smokers. Us vapers aren't the ones saying it's totally safe. (usually)
The only thing safe to put in your lungs is clean air. And air has never been 100% clean either (think allergies, viruses, bacteria, mold). So...

but this part:
While the findings are in mice rather than humans, “this may be the first clue that there is something going on with lipid homeostasis,” she said. “And it shows that [vaping] may impair the function of immune cells.”
does impart some concerns. It was with PG and VG. But dosage?

Last edited:

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
Cats too? This must be the only thing cats and dogs have in common.

But yes, our bodies are BUIILT to handle and process toxins, they really are.

I smoked for over 20 years and at the end I was at 3 ppd. Other than the last 18 months or so, it really wasn't that unpleasant or even affecting my health that much. I mean it was, but not with the type of insane urgency it did at the end.

The body is built to handle and filter toxins but the problem becomes when the toxin load becomes overwhelming.

I genuinely believe that before all the additives, tobacco was less bad for you. My PCP agreed in a way, I told him I couldn't regulate my smoking at all so about 6 years in I began smoking additive free cigarettes. He was like, "That's probably why you aren't dead yet."

A lot of hazardous things do not actually need to be as hazardous as they are, it's just something about human nature these days where you can only get your hands on a certain seed that requires a very toxic use of pesticides, people deliberately adding "additives" that are addictive, etc.

It's sort of unfortunate, and yet, life expectancy does keep expanding although I think predictions on that are that it will actually decrease after the boomer generation. I can't remember.

I read a study on picky eating once and actually it was fairly interesting .Genetically, it makes sense to only try a very small bit of food (it might be poisonous) during hunter gatherer times. So babies are born with the natural tendency to like, not be so into a food until it is presented 3 times (and with no, "You have to take a bite.") I thought it was interesting. Then you have the type of baby I was, I would do things like happily eat the escargots that the rest of the family found disgusting (I was like, 2.)

I also have a stomach of cast iron, apart from occasionally puking while drinking (and it was occasional) I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I have gotten a stomach bug/food poisoning. I wonder if the two things are connected.

I would make an excellent Food Taster for the Court-- or maybe not. Because the arsenic in the special dish wouldn't phase me but the king would die. Maybe they need someone weak and pathetic and limp to taste their food and then start vomiting blood, etc.

Anna
Iron_Stomach.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread