Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
i dunno if it’s a combination of increased vape knowledge or the plethora of pod reviews that I’m just not interested in -but I rarely watch reviews anymore. I use to spend hours checking out new mods & RBAs etc...I used to always learn about new technologies etc...

I still will review my faves reviewers like vaping w Vic, DJLs and others but unless they’re speaking about RBAs or “open systems” - is that what non pod mods are called? Then I have no interest. At least at this point lol! Maybe in 20 years trying stealth vaping at the nursing home!!!

Just curious if other people have experienced this as well - skip the pod mod reviews. Maybe I’ve just plateaued at the moment.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I stopped watching DJL because it seems all he ever reviews these days are pods. I might want to watch one if I was interested in buying a particular one and there was a feature I wanted to learn more about, but I don't find them of any interest. I'm also just not watching that many reviews period as there's not much being released that seems appealing enough for me to make the effort on something I already know I'm not getting. Todd is interesting because he'll review products you don't normally get to see, but that's about it.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I've noticed China has scaled back on new open system development and are now releasing pod systems.
Hopefully this isn't a permanent trend.
I’ve seen multiple reasonings voices for this. The fact that pods make up the vast majority of the US market which has little to do with form factor and is mostly an issue of what gas stations carry, various economic realities in China that support simple pods over more complicated devices, and the introduction of protonated nic.

Some imply temporary status, some don’t.

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA
You could have hit a plateau. Happened to me twice. When I started in '09 I followed everything closely for about 2 years but that was the beginning of "mods" to replace cigalike batteries and the very early years of rda's. I ended up with things I really liked (Reo's) and dropped out.
I popped back in around 2014-2015, checked what the new hotness was, made a few purchases and dropped out again.
Here I am 4 years later. Bought a Topside Dual, Wismec RX Gen3 Dual, a couple RDA's and RTA's. I'l likely drop off again for a couple more years pretty soon.

I tend to stay away from reviewers as 99% of them like everything they try. Even if it's clear they don't care for something, they still recommend them. I do watch one guy who rarely gives anything a high rating. Most things are either just okay, or a flat out don't buy it. That I can get behind.

CaveFurby

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
It is a little strange to me to see a growing number of new vapers starting out with pod systems and not knowing much else about what else is out there in the way of hardware. I can think of at least 6 or 7 people at work who only use pods and have no interest in anything else. And they had no idea there was an ECF, or even youtube reviewers, or of other hardware systems, or of the upcoming FDA regs. Where is the curiosity?? When I, and I'm sure the rest of you first got into vaping I was all over the web looking for groups and forums and all over youtube....it was a fascinating world of discovery. Still is. Sometimes I think I'm surrounded by sheeple.....lol.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It is a little strange to me to see a growing number of new vapers starting out with pod systems and not knowing much else about what else is out there in the way of hardware. I can think of at least 6 or 7 people at work who only use pods and have no interest in anything else. And they had no idea there was an ECF, or even youtube reviewers, or of other hardware systems, or of the upcoming FDA regs. Where is the curiosity?? When I, and I'm sure the rest of you first got into vaping I was all over the web looking for groups and forums and all over youtube....it was a fascinating world of discovery. Still is. Sometimes I think I'm surrounded by sheeple.....lol.
Curiosity in general is discouraged in this day and age.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Iv'e noticed that mainly the younger people gravitate toward pods and small AIO's. I did a review on the Frenzy and was vaping only that for a couple of weeks mainly during work hours and this rookie I work with was blown away and gushing over it I just PIF to him and he still raves about it being so tiny but flavorful. He says it's the size factor that he likes so much.

Reactions: Fidola13

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Several years back it was a cigalike, and eGo, or regulated/mech and tanks. If you had little interest you went with a cigalike. If you'd been at things earlier and already built up a supply of clearos and all, you might dip your toe into the mod tank area, maybe. But if you wanted something really satisfying your next step was the mod tank combo, build or drop in coil.

The pods of today are a lot different from earlier entry level products. They really do perform pretty well for a good price, and can be cost effective if refillable, even if you do need new pods every week or so, like drop in coils. There's much less pressure to get a big mod and a glass tank on top to get a good experience. And I think that's great as it gives more smokers an easier solution with a much lower learning curve. They're even good for me to pocket toss.

I don't think it's bad at all. I do think because one manufacturer was fairly successful the other dozen or more piled on with several pods in their lineup. If anything the market will shake itself out and contract as no one is going to stock 30 different pod mods and 30 or way mire replacement pods. It's not sustainable. The question will be which ones end up on top and stay available. I see no clear winner yet (refillable pod, not a Juul replacement, they already own that market)

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2015
    Kent - United Kingdom
    The pods - pompously, the 4th generation of e-cigarettes - are a recent phenomena, an industrial endeavour which required zero investment in research; happening at a convenient time, when China government stopped all non-Bank loans for whatever purpose.

So no more innovative mod devices, just some old designs in smaller cases, all rigorously and intentionally not interoperable, asunder since their inception.
    For the time being only - I believe; it can't keep like this, forever.

Did any reviewer tests for battery capacity, for pod lifetime with different juices, for true MTL compliance, and other verifiable quantities?

Me too - stopped watching or reading pod reviews, as they lack the essential information required to decide which to buy. Essentially, they are content-free so they can't make mistakes.

I have bought one dozen of different pods and some are an extensive delusion, notwistanding some featuring brilliant reviews.

I believe the "Freebie x a good review" phenomena is reaching an apex - where some reviewers have turned into hoarders.

Save an handful of proper devices, pod systems are generally lacking quality, and badly in need of a design overhaul.

Current pod reviews reflect the state of current pod art, which is mediocre (with an handful of exceptions).
    The problem is, you cannot tell which is good and which is bad, until you use the pod system for a week or two.
    Which endeavor, for a private subject like myself, is both expensive and difficult; and frankly, has little point. This is the job of reviewers.

Last thing - In a couple of occasions I had to make an U-turn, a reversal of the initial opinion about the device; I have never seen a reviewer coming back on their steps...

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    I typically only watch reviews about products that I've been drawn to and researched. If they are something I might really get I will finally look at reviews but I start with the reviews by users on ECF and vendor sites. Needless to say we don't chase the newest devices, waiting to see how they perform in the real world. There isn't much to learn in a video pod review as there are so few options. I never did look at a video review of the pods we ended up getting. I'm not shopping for more pod options as the one we got fits our needs.

Reactions: Fidola13

Northstar6

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2019
    Generally any big name reviewer of vapes, or most any other product, tends to sugar-coat their reviews generally to keep those free products coming in.

Many of these guys are get free products for their reviews so being overly critical would likely blacklist them from certain companies or even the community they are involved in as a whole.

Lots of them realize this and simply make hundreds of reviews of them saying this is a "great product" - which I would perceive as a biased review. Afterall, they are likely skimming over various faults to create a positive review to keep the free merch rolling in.

In short, take a lot of these reviews with a grain of salt.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Iv'e noticed that mainly the younger people gravitate toward pods and small AIO's. I did a review on the Frenzy and was vaping only that for a couple of weeks mainly during work hours and this rookie I work with was blown away and gushing over it I just PIF to him and he still raves about it being so tiny but flavorful. He says it's the size factor that he likes so much.
    Newer vapers seem to be attracted to smaller devices and move to larger ones as they are let down by them. I started on cigalikes. Not that there was anything else at the time.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    I stopped watching DJL because it seems all he ever reviews these days are pods. I might want to watch one if I was interested in buying a particular one and there was a feature I wanted to learn more about, but I don't find them of any interest. I'm also just not watching that many reviews period as there's not much being released that seems appealing enough for me to make the effort on something I already know I'm not getting. Todd is interesting because he'll review products you don't normally get to see, but that's about it.

I’ve seen Todd referenced many times on this forum but don’t know his YouTube handle.

Reactions: RayofLight62

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    I only watch reviews to see how to build. I will still read reviews to see if the product is for me.

An open pod system is one you can add your own liquid.

That’s exactly why I watch reviews- to see how different people build them especially if I know they vape similar to my style.

I use to get all excited to get the latest and greatest but like someone mentioned there’s not a lot different out there with regular vape gear. That may have been novicitis otherwise known as noobie shinyitis lol!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread