Water in my liquid or worn out coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLGG

Jun 26, 2019
I have been vaping for a few years, but am still a complete noob about much of the tech.

I have two old squonk mods filled with 2 different juices.
Both juices vaped fine for a few days, but now both are acting weird.
They are making a sizzling noise when I fire the mods, and I get almost no flavor and hardly any vapor. The

There are two possible reasons that I can think of:

1. I asked my son to run some warm water over them, and he misunderstood, submerging them for a few minutes. They did not come with any protective seal, so I guess it's possible that some water leaked in and it took a few days for the chemical ramifications of that to really affect the juice. I don't know if it's just the power of suggestion, but I swear I can taste water as much as I can taste the juice.

2. Both of these juices are sweeter than what I normally use. Would gunked-up coils cause the liquids to sizzle, not produce vapor, and lose their flavor? Or is water the more likely culprit?

I have no new coils right now -- just ordered some. I don't know whether to replace the juices or try new coils.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I have been vaping for a few years, but am still a complete noob about much of the tech.

I have two old squonk mods filled with 2 different juices.
Both juices vaped fine for a few days, but now both are acting weird.
They are making a sizzling noise when I fire the mods, and I get almost no flavor and hardly any vapor. The

There are two possible reasons that I can think of:

1. I asked my son to run some warm water over them, and he misunderstood, submerging them for a few minutes. They did not come with any protective seal, so I guess it's possible that some water leaked in and it took a few days for the chemical ramifications of that to really affect the juice. I don't know if it's just the power of suggestion, but I swear I can taste water as much as I can taste the juice.

2. Both of these juices are sweeter than what I normally use. Would gunked-up coils cause the liquids to sizzle, not produce vapor, and lose their flavor? Or is water the more likely culprit?

I have no new coils right now -- just ordered some. I don't know whether to replace the juices or try new coils.
Hi and welcome,
Please tell us which two old squonk mods you have and what atomizer(s) are on top.
Did you remove the batteries before giving the squonks a bath?
Where are you located?
Cheers
I

LLGG

Jun 26, 2019
Hi and welcome,
Please tell us which two old squonk mods you have and what atomizer(s) are on top.
Did you remove the batteries before giving the squonks a bath?
Where are you located?
Cheers
I
Hi and thanks, Izan. I am in the eastern US. My squonks are Kanger Dripboxes (the light model... I think 60W). The atomizers are the ones that came with the dripboxes, and it was the juices that got a a bath. I wanted to try to hasten the steeping process, asked my son to run warm water over the bottles for a couple of minutes, and instead he dropped them into a jar of warm water, where they sat submerged for a few minutes.:cry:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and thanks, Izan. I am in the eastern US. My squonks are Kanger Dripboxes (the light model... I think 60W). The atomizers are the ones that came with the dripboxes, and it was the juices that got a a bath. I wanted to try to hasten the steeping process, asked my son to run warm water over the bottles for a couple of minutes, and instead he dropped them into a jar of warm water, where they sat submerged for a few minutes.:cry:

If it was me;
I would not think a sealed/capped bottle, in a warm bath, would permit water to enter because of air pressure, the juice should be fine.
If the cap(s) were not affixed, I would dump the ruined juice and move on to the next bottle or DIY mix.
If the cotton has gotten wet, I would remove the cotton from the coils, dry burn the coils clean (orange is hot enough) and replace the cotton in the coils.

HTH
I

LLGG

Jun 26, 2019
If it was me;
I would not think a sealed/capped bottle, in a warm bath, would permit water to enter because of air pressure, the juice should be fine.
If the cap(s) were not affixed, I would dump the ruined juice and move on to the next bottle or DIY mix.
If the cotton has gotten wet, I would remove the cotton from the coils, dry burn the coils clean (orange is hot enough) and replace the cotton in the coils.

HTH
I
Okay, thank you!

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
A flooded rda is an rda that has much more juice than he can "store" and work efficiently at a time.The coil/coils are making "bath" in there and the wattage applied is not enough to vaporize the juice.Juice is getting boiled not vaporized,thus the gurgling sound and lack of vapor production.

LLGG

Jun 26, 2019
Remove top cap of rda,tilt your rda to remove juice from well,assemble it,and try again.If juice is still a little bit warm adjust the proper pressure at squonq bottle.
You were right, Mule! I was squonking way too much and too often. I did what you said, plus dabbed at the over-saturated wick with a tissue. Now I can taste my juice again and all is kosher. Thanks so much!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
When was the last time you changed the coil? A "sizzling noise" when you fire the mods, and "almost no flavor and hardly any vapor" could just be a gunked up coil or gunked up wick.

It is very debatable whether running warm water in an attempt to speed up the steeping process even works. Father time is still the best method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread