Status
Not open for further replies.

sstambo

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
Cape Coma, Florida
I had a couple 510 att's that were about a 1.5 months old. These test subjects were producing very little vapor even though I set them to drain nightly. I used the waterpik on one of the lower settings to clean the atty's. I also read here on the forum that denture tabs work well to clean att's so I added one of those to the tank of the pik. Second, I rinsed with plain h2o via the pik. Then drained/dried att's approx. 36hrs. I think it worked really well as all seem to be working good as new now. Been using one for a week & it's still vapin' like champ. :D

Something that works well for me is one of those sonic jewelry-cleaner things. Had one around the house from who-knows-where, gave it a try, and it worked perfectly.

Before that, used everclear and swished them around in that, then stuck a wad of tissue in them to wick the last from the coil (everclear tastes better than 91% isopropyl alshohol when you're done).

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
If it can spray at low power, this might be ok, but the wires and coil assembly are rather fragile, so you may be gambling. I personally have not tried the sonicator, as I don't want to shell out the bucks, but Crest Health-pro for 10 min followed by hot water, which I flush the atty with, and then fill the atty and blow it out through from the cart end, seems to do the trick with mine. Oh, and I dry burn a bit after it has a chance to dry. Sometimes I repeat everything, but once generally does it.

I've not had good luck with alcohol soaks. It might not be related, but when I was using that I had far more atty deaths than I do now.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
If it can spray at low power, this might be ok, but the wires and coil assembly are rather fragile, so you may be gambling. I personally have not tried the sonicator, as I don't want to shell out the bucks, but Crest Health-pro for 10 min followed by hot water, which I flush the atty with, and then fill the atty and blow it out through from the cart end, seems to do the trick with mine. Oh, and I dry burn a bit after it has a chance to dry. Sometimes I repeat everything, but once generally does it.

I've not had good luck with alcohol soaks. It might not be related, but when I was using that I had far more atty deaths than I do now.

I've heard others say that some of the ultrasonic cleaners are very expensive so I did a little homework and found a great little unit for only $31 and $10 for shipping. You can see it here. The specifications it provides are very similar to much higher priced models and it comes with a full one-year warranty. I just ordered one this past Monday night and it's already on its way with UPS tracking number.

I know there is at least one other member who swears by his to clean his 510 attys and at that price, it's worth a try. Even if it doesn't work, I can still use it for a whole bunch of other things.

:thumb:

40bikes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Alot of my post are going to start with "I was at Dollar Tree and found...."
I have been using an electric toothbrush from DT as a sonic cleaner after a hot water rinse. Throw atties on a small cup with cleaning solution of choice turn on the brush and "massage" the atties for a couple of minutes with the back of the brush head, rinse let dry and they seem to be doing fine.
The wave and vibration patterns in the cup look just like the hydrosonic cleaners develop.
Is it as good as a commercial jewelry cleaner? Don't Know, if I'm not going to spend 100 bucks an clean machine , probably not going to spend $20,000 to find out if I wasted my $1. Haven't broken any atties and none have halitosis or B.O. bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread