we can now quit putting total the blame on vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana
ok there has been quite a lot of blaming vendors about the cc processing companys. not saying its not their fault, but we can stop putting the TOTAL blame on them. got a call from my bank just now saying my card info was just found on internet for sale. I have NEVER used this card for online purchasing. they are trying to trace how it got there, but like I said this card has NEVER been used online. ive been very careful with this one being that I had a card hacked and usage attempted not 2 months ago. I don't even use the pin number when purchasing in person. just wanted to put it out there that this can happen no matter how careful you are. :)

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
LOL idk, doesn't matter now, its been cancelled :)

You advertize it for sale then cancel it? How rude! From here on, I will watch for you and absolutely refuse to participate in any more credit card purchases.

Unless it's really a good deal. I have little in the way of principles.

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana
I'll still blame them. :) I've placed thousands of orders through major retailers - never had so much as a errant charge. I've placed maybe 12 orders through various ejuice suppliers...and have been named 4 times for fraudulent charges. Odds don't seem coincidental.

I didn't say don't blame them, I said not to put all the blame on them. this card(which is new 2mths ago) has NEVER been used online.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
One trend I noticed... there seems to be a decent amount of people who, before getting into vaping, didn't order massive amounts of stuff online. I can't even count how many times I've heard people say things like "I'm becoming best friends with my mailman now after getting into vaping" this says to me that some people are making vape-related purchases online at a rate that far exceeds any other online shopping they have done.

So, person A rarely buys stuff online, starts buying tons of vaping stuff, and their card info gets stolen. First thought is that vape vendors are fishy. It could just be a thing of chance, if you increase your online shopping by 500% you are going to increase your chance to get your card info stolen too.

I know that plenty of people were hardcore online shoppers before getting into vaping, and they have noticed an increase of their info getting stolen. It's bound to happen, I'm just saying I don't see any sort of concrete proof that buying vaping stuff is any more risky than buying anything else online. Stick to popular reputable vendors and you shouldn't have an issue.

I buy gobs and gobs of vape stuff online and not once ever had my info stolen. That means very little, just like 30 posts about stolen cards mean nothing, when you figure that potentially millions of people are ordering online, there is going to be a certain percentage that have issues regardless. I also don't buy from random vendors that come up on a google search. I only buy from vendors who are well established in the community.

That doesn't stop an employee at MBV (just using an example, I am NOT claiming there is any fraud going on there) from copying some card numbers when the boss isn't looking. But it does cut down greatly on the chance of buying from a vendor who's sole purpose in opening up was to farm card numbers.

A juice vendor would seem like a good honeypot for catching card numbers. People like to try new juices constantly, and are always buying from new vendors looking for something good. Craft eliquids are popular enough that they know there is a large market to tap into, potentially for some profit from the selling of eliquid, but also on the theft of card numbers.

If there were certain vendors who really are shady, we'll figure it out eventually. Card companies hate fraud charges, and they keep track of this sort of thing. If tons of people make a fraud claim, and a certain vendor processed all those cards, the card company looks at the vendor.

It's not unusual for a card company to cut off service to vendors (general vendors, not ecig companies) that have an unusually high number of card thefts that point to them. It's fairly easy to spot, if you have 100 fraud charges, you compare the history on the card, and find out 100% of those people shopped at "xxx vape'n'stuff" it paints a fairly clear picture.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Here is a fact for you guys

When my card got compromised recently my bank flat said in the letter they sent me that Visa had informed them that it had happened at the PROCESSOR not the merchant. Visa did not tell my bank which processor but there is your confirmation of what level it is happening at.

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana
Here is a fact for you guys

When my card got compromised recently my bank flat said in the letter they sent me that Visa had informed them that it had happened at the PROCESSOR not the merchant. Visa did not tell my bank which processor but there is your confirmation of what level it is happening at.

was this an online processor? or do they know. my info was grabbed at a swipe station. they only had my name, exp date and number. no pin, no security code. I don't hand my card to ppl and I don't use a pin. so it was somehow done when I swiped it.

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
ok there has been quite a lot of blaming vendors about the cc processing companys. not saying its not their fault, but we can stop putting the TOTAL blame on them. got a call from my bank just now saying my card info was just found on internet for sale. I have NEVER used this card for online purchasing. they are trying to trace how it got there, but like I said this card has NEVER been used online. ive been very careful with this one being that I had a card hacked and usage attempted not 2 months ago. I don't even use the pin number when purchasing in person. just wanted to put it out there that this can happen no matter how careful you are. :)
I bid $25 for it. Did I win?

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
was this an online processor? or do they know. my info was grabbed at a swipe station. they only had my name, exp date and number. no pin, no security code. I don't hand my card to ppl and I don't use a pin. so it was somehow done when I swiped it.

That was literally all the info visa gave my bank. It was stopped at the VISA level and all they told the bank was it occurred at the processor level. No charges went through for me to track anything back that way.

I can speculate that a processor was compromised and reported to Visa who reported to my bank.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Many e-cig on-line vendors use 3rd and 4th rate processors since the "hold back" can be less, these processors are also easier to get an account with, since especially a new business can have a hard time getting the top processors to open an account without a good financial commitment up front ..

PayPal, if they know, will not process any e-cig material on domestic website sales, although they don't seem to have any problem with out of the USA sites ..

Thus, the processors that do open accounts are more prone to have compromised security ..

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Trying to follow this from the OP, it appears that wherever the card was swiped is using the same low-security processing center(s.) That's the only thing that makes any sense other than a bank employee. If that sounds like a stretch its not as we've caught two bank employees over the years who were involved in both fraud and theft. It just seem that amorality or immorality is rampant across all facets of society.

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana
Trying to follow this from the OP, it appears that wherever the card was swiped is using the same low-security processing center(s.) That's the only thing that makes any sense other than a bank employee. If that sounds like a stretch its not as we've caught two bank employees over the years who were involved in both fraud and theft. It just seem that amorality or immorality is rampant across all facets of society.
yes that's where I was going with it LOL, that it wasn't just online purchasing, happens in person too :)

itsrayray

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
athens, tn
Many e-cig on-line vendors use 3rd and 4th rate processors since the "hold back" can be less, these processors are also easier to get an account with, since especially a new business can have a hard time getting the top processors to open an account without a good financial commitment up front ..

PayPal, if they know, will not process any e-cig material on domestic website sales, although they don't seem to have any problem with out of the USA sites ..

Thus, the processors that do open accounts are more prone to have compromised security ..

So PayPal will not endorse the sale of ecig mats?(materials)

What if I use my pp debit card? Lol.

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana
So PayPal will not endorse the sale of ecig mats?(materials)

What if I use my pp debit card? Lol.

yes ur prepaid paypal debit card works, that's what ive been doing since first cc got hacked. I just don't have the "bank account back up" I put what I need in the pp acct, then use my prepaid paypal debit card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread