We need a mirror site for subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
SJ, you work so hard for this site for all of us. Recently, every time I log on I cannot respond to my messages or make comments due to "the server is busy".

We need either a mirror site for subscribers or we need to limit open access to certain forum areas.

Previously, I suggested a minimum number of post to access certain forum areas... as I have encountered in other forums. Now, because I cannot even respond to messages sent to me, I beg this.

Can we please linit open access to non-subscribers to certain areas so that the real members of ecf are able to access the forum and their messages,

This is just a suggestion. And, I accept your verdict without rebutal.

Last edited:

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
I would like to take the time to thank SJ for providing this forum for us. First of all, SJ had the foresight to realize that we would need a place for communication, and 2nd of all he has accepted the liability and the cost of solisitors fees to maintain the site.

Maybe, we come here to find info or to connect or to find answers. Some of us have been blessed, as I have with TB, NicoNut, Kate, Gep, Taz, the WZ, MrWade01, with life long friendships...

Recently, I cannot respond to my friends (my in basket), and it bothers me. I beg all of you to support SJ and become subscribing members and I, respectfully request SJ to limit open access to the general part of the forum.

'nuff said.. the mind can only absorb what he .... can endure.

Anyone else with me on this?

Last edited:

NicoNut

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia USA
I also would like to tell SJ just how much I appreciate this forum and all he does for us!

I have run into the "server busy" dead-end a few times in the last few days myself. I agree with most any solution that would prevent a repeat of what happened earlier this year.

I urge all who enjoy this forum to suscribe...it's dirt cheap and pain-free!

Thanks,
Julie

First, thanks SJ, without this place I would have been pretty much lost trying to compile information from eleventy billion sources, but this is a great community with tons of useful information.

Second, don't know what type of hosting or server setup you have, but if you are looking for better solutions, for the time being you can try out Amazons EC2 and its various services. They charge per hour for computing power and per gb for bandwidth, but its exceptionally cheap comparatively. The greatest thing is its so IMMEDIATELY scalable, so if you found that between 1800 gmt and 2200 gmt the servers started getting bogged down, you could load another instance and balance it and turn it off when it is unnecessary and only pay for ~4 hours of usage + bw. If you need any assistance my pm box is always there.. sorry for the ramble and unasked-for advice.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Speaking as a forum user, and not a moderator: I think a solution would be to allow 'free' users to read, but only supporting members to post. It would certainly cut down the spam. It also might encourage use of the 'search' function.

Walrus, you may be on to something there.

I've personally participated in 2 threads I know of that were a ruse with a hidden agenda. None of us realized the OP had a hidden agenda til several posts later. And the spam - aarrgghh !!

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
For the number of users, I dont think a small subscription fee is too outlandish of a proposal...I also think SJ's Forum Suppliers fees are probably a little low considering the amount of potential traffic one can access here...Not that I want him to raise mine:rolleyes: But I think everyone elses should be at least doubled:lol:
Seriously I was considering putting a special coupon code on my site to give a discount to Supporting Members, but I dont really know exactly how to do it...

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
What about a one shot payment for new members...say $5 to join the forum?

I see this would help in 3 areas:

1) Spammers: who's going to pay $5 to come in and spam to only get banned when they get caught? People aren't going to want to do that too many times.

2) Multiple accounts: again, who would pay $5 a piece to set up fake accounts only to start trouble and get tossed out?

3) With each membership, SJ would have each member's correct name and address via their payment method. I mean, people might use fake names but how many can use fake bank account/credit card/paypal information?

My guess is, SJ would probably never go for this anyway but it certainly would cut down on all the PITA spammers we've got to deal with every day.

And this would be just for new members (coming in now). If they lurk and think the forum is worth $5, they'll do it...otherwise, they can stay lurking.

Lu

donei

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2009
Baltimore, MD
How about having perks for supporting members? Things like special areas, the ability to view pictures and videos, more personal message space, more space for uploading images, maybe a coupon/sales section for sellers to post in that only supporting members can view?

Don't punish the people who don't support ECF, just give extra benefits to those who do.

Edited to add... I see supporting members have more storage, message and a couple other perks. I didn't even read that when I paid, I was more than happy to support the forum. Still there are other perks that could be possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread