We need your help and support on June 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
There is a resolution being proposed in Suffolk county that is seeking to prohibit the use of electronic cigarettes in public non smoking areas. If passed, this will force vapers in Suffolk county to go to designated smoking areas to use our personal vaporizers.

There is going to be a public hearing on this subject on June 23. It will be held at 2:30 p.m. in Riverhead at the Suffolk County Community College Culinary Arts and Hospitality Center, 1st floor meeting room at 20 East Main Street in Riverhead, NY.

At this public hearing anybody interested in speaking on the subject will be allowed 5 minutes to speak. Spikey, Josh from e-liquid planet and myself will all be speaking at this hearing. The three of us have already addressed some of the legislators at a health and human service committee meeting on June 4th and we let it be known that we are part of a club of vapers that share similar opinion that we should not be forced to be exposed to second hand smoke to enjoy our vaping.

I am not asking people to get up and speak in front of the legislators though anybody interested in doing so will be welcomed openly. What we really could use is as many people as possible to show up send a message that we are supported by others. We need to let them know that this is important to more than just three people. Every extra person sitting with us in the gallery will make a difference.

Even if you live in Nassau county or one of the buroughs this is something that should be important to you. Back in the 1990's Suffolk county was one of the first counties in the country to start banning smoking in public places. They provided a model that neerby areas used as an example to go about instituting their own bans.

If a ban on vaping passes in Suffolk county, history tells us that it will not be long before it spreads to Nassau, Queens, Brooklyn and many other surrounding areas.

June 23 is a Tuesday and I know it is difficult for a lot of people to take time off from work but if there was ever a day to leave at lunch time THIS IS THE DAY. The entire future of vaping in Suffolk county could depend on it because this is the ONLY scheduled public hearing and once it passes by so does your opportunity to have your voice heard.

Please give this serious consideration. We really could use our club behind us on this one.

Thanks for reading this,
dumwaldo

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
I just want to follow up with some information regarding the schedule of events required before this can become a law and the specific opportunities that will be available to speak at.

The above post is for the public hearing. This is a hearing where the public is offered the chance to comment and it is entered into the record so the involved legislators and committee members can review the public concerns to enter into the next step in an informed manner.

Individuals are given 5 minutes to speak at this meeting.

The next step is a Health and Human Services meeting. The six legislators that make up the H&HS Committee need to approve the proposal before it can go to a vote before the entire body of legislators.

Individuals are given 3 minutes to speak and that meeting is scheduled for July 30.

The final step is a vote by all legislators in attendance at the general meeting held on August 4. Prior to the vote, Individuals are given 3 minutes to speak.

I am telling you guys this because Spikey, Josh and myself will be speaking at all of these meetings and we are hoping to have support with us at all of the meetings. After speaking with Spikey she wanted to make sure I was clear with you all about this. We can't use all our ammo at the first meeting so please be prepared for another plea for support even after this meeting.

Thanks,
dumwaldo

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
I'm not a very good public speaker, but I think that someone should bring up this point:

People switch to nicotine vaporizers because they wish to quit smoking. By forcing them to use their devices in areas designated for smoking, you are forcibly exposing them to a major psychological trigger for the desire to smoke. One of the the most difficult times to resist smoking a cigarette is when you see or smell others smoking around you. By forcing vapers to vape in the same places as cigarette smokers, you are making it very difficult for them to quit, as well as exposing them to second hand smoke, the very smoke that they intended to avoid by switching to vaping. These people are trying to make changes in their life to quit smoking and live healthier, and you want to force them to be exposed to second hand smoke?

Forcing a non-smoker to be exposed to second-hand smoke can't be legal.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
DCrist,

You don't need to "very good public speaker".

Print out what you just wrote here and read that at the public hearing. Just because they allow five minutes does not mean you have to speak for five minutes. You are allowed to read from a paper as well.

In fact the hearing recorder appreciates it if you have your comments already printed on a page that can be handed over at the conclusion of your speaking. It saves the recorded effort.

DW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread