Weak flavor in all batches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makidigital

Jun 5, 2011
New Jersey
I have been making a lot of new batches of liquid lately but it seems no matter what I am not getting strong flavor. I thought originally it was because my VG content was too high, which was at 90%. So now I'm at around 70/30 VG / PG and still very weak flavor. Even very strong fruit flavors I only can taste a bit on the exhale. I would do more PG and less VG but it seems once I get to around 50/50 there isn't much vapor production. I sometimes wonder how some vendors get so much vapor production from a 70pg / 30vg mix. Most of my liquids are at about 15% flavoring so I'm sure it's not because I'm not putting in enough flavor. All I use is VG, PG, flavoring, and nicotine. Oh, I have also used sweetener such as sucralose to no avail. Any ideas?

Makidigital

Jun 5, 2011
New Jersey
Hi Mak what brand of flavorings are you using? There's a world of difference in how much is needed percentage wise amongst brands and even amongst flavors in the same brand.

I'm using flavors from Capella, TFA, Flavor West and loranne. They all are very faint tasting. I just thought of something. I have a total of about 60 flavors from these vendors. Could it be possible that sunlight destroyed the flavoring in every single bottle? I always keep all my DIY supplies on my dining room table lately and every day my wife opens the shades to allow in sunlight. As I walked in the other afternoon I noticed how bright the sun was beaming through the window over the entire table so I quickly shut them thinking that can't be good. This could have been going on for a few months. Could it have destroyed every single bottle of flavoring though?

Makidigital

Jun 5, 2011
New Jersey
Could it be vapours tongue or that you're not steeping for long enough?x

I've thought of that so I had bottles that I made a while ago and tried those and still the same result. I even gave them to other people and they all told me the flavoring is too weak. If some of you don't mind me asking, for those who use more VG than PG are your batches flavorful? If so, how much flavor do you use and from which vendor? I even just tried making a batch just now using Lorann's super strength strawberry but with the same results. Only barely tasting it on the exhale. I even tried PG and VG from a different vendor. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I am definitely doing something wrong though.

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
I don't think its the sunlight. It would probably have to be blazing hot sun and high temp for months to do that. My suggestions are several:

Keep the recipes simple even go old school and try each flavor individually if you haven't allready even with a few of them---this will give you an idea if the 15% total is too low or too high for you

It sounds like you may need more flavoring total being that you are a high VG guy and its still muted flavor to you

Try vaping Zone's Super concentrated alcohol based flavors and/or the Gourmet flavor line they have someday---they require much lower percentages and are easy beasy to mix and vape. Very good for a starting out diyer or anyone who likes to use lower percentages and still get good flavor.

All those brands above that you have I have heard people using anywhere from 1-30% depending on taste buds and the pg/vg mix and particular flavors involved but as a generality I've heard that high VG requires more flavoring

Try to master one or two recipes at a time we've all been there at the point of frustration. Hopefully others will have more ideas but those are mine off the top of my head.

Makidigital

Jun 5, 2011
New Jersey
Yes it is very frustrating. I feel like i'm finally making decent progress but it seems for every step forward I take one step back. I finally got my vapor production at a perfect point but now this flavoring issue just boggles my mind. I hope you're right about the sunlight because I spent a lot of money on all of those flavors and it would kill me to have to trash them all. Thanks for all of the help so far. I thought I could figure it out on my own but it's just not happening.

lilmrsyeti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Alabama
I know for me...using TFA and FA, 15% isn't enough for me...and I go 70/30 PG/VG...so with you using a lot more VG, I would try making a bottle at 20-25% and then trying it..make a small bottle. Of course steeping them will help bring out a good bit of flavor. Maybe make one small bottle using 25%...give it a good hot bath a couple times, then let it steep a day or 2, then try.

My taste buds are off though. Flavors I made at a lower % tasted fine to my husband, but I could barely taste it. When I vape, I want to really taste it.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I'm not sure why an arbitrary number like 15% was picked for a number of different flavorings for one thing. The next thing I wonder is if the OP has read my Flavoring Levels blog.

There are questions of device being used to vape with. The taste testing of the bases without any flavoring, etc, but my brain caught on the single percentage and just kinda' hung there.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
A few simple things before you start Tweaking/changing mixes
1) Are you using and additives to help maintain flavors? Vinegar for Tobaccos(pastries?)/Lemon for Fruits?
2) Did you time test your Flavors in smaller batches? 3-5ml/2-7days-2weeks?
3) Order 3 preferred flavors in small sample(ones you have in house) Mix matches samples new and old to test quality of your flavorings. If these match your supplies should be okay and you will have more of what you like on hand.

I seem to be finding, at least with my DIY and TPA - We adapt quickly to flavors and everyone's idea of strong weak is different.
I've seem some high % recommendations but decided to make varying test batches to find Nice, not in your face on the start. this allows room for maturing flavors to develop.

Lastly - only rely on YOUR taste buds and Not on to many opinions from friends. I Vape with several friends at work and all our preferences vary.

TamJeff

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2012
United States
I'm not sure why an arbitrary number like 15% was picked for a number of different flavorings for one thing. The next thing I wonder is if the OP has read my Flavoring Levels blog.

There are questions of device being used to vape with. The taste testing of the bases without any flavoring, etc, but my brain caught on the single percentage and just kinda' hung there.

That was what I was looking for reading these responses. All of the variables apply, including the equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread