Weird situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goto661

Jun 6, 2018
Hello everyone I bought my first vape this week from a private store. I had no idea how to set the vape up so the man showed me and when he opened the box one of those little silica packets had busted. He blew it out and continued showing me how I didn't think much of it. I've now been vaping for a week and have had a very sore throat And lungs and I'm wondering if it's from the packet like something was still in it or was hurting me or is it just cause I'm a new vaper. I took it all apart today and found no beads inside everything looked clean and good. But if I inhaled dust or some of that stuff will it kill me? I don't think it's very healthy stuff thank you very much everyone get back to me soon!!!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
If you thoroughly washed the tank and coils you're fine. It is not unusual to get a sore throat at first with vaping.
I agree, it’s probably thatvyoure not used to vaping. Since the guy at the shop put it together for you, I doubt the tank was washed first, but the tank was assembled in the box, no? I highly doubt anything got in the tank.

I would advise you, next time you get a new tank, to wash it before use. Manufacturing is a dirty business.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
What's your resistance, wattage and nicotine strength? What mod and tank did you get?
You might have your wattage too high and you're overheating the liquid.

If the silica gel packets were that dangerous they wouldn't be in beef jerky or medicines. They are hydroscopic so they are a choking hazard. The home first aid would be the same whether it's vaping or silica, drink a lot of water.

If you have breathing problems have someone drive you to the Dr or call an ambulance (for some reason they don't like people who might stop breathing driving vehicles, but they move you right to the front of the line when you go to a doctory place and tell the receptionist you can't breath, friend's story not mine).

Goto661

Jun 6, 2018
You're right now that I recall the tank was assembled the coil was in and the only thing that wasn't on was the battery so the only place it could have gone through was the mouth piece and he blew it out when he took it apart so I doubt that's why I'm coughing sooooo bad I have a prince stick with 3mg juice why does my throat hurt and lungs hurt?

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Take it back! They should be ashamed of that! It states on the desiccant silica gel package "Do not eat" so I think it is not so good for you.........seek medical advice. Why did you accept that same device?
I dont think you vaped any of the silica gel pelletd, nor do i think its possible. Vaping is very different than smoking and it takes a bit of adjustment.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you washed the tank, the silica is not an issue.

Some symptoms are totally normal when switching to vaping. Cigarettes have humectants that cause the tobacco to sliiiidde down your throat easier. I was a 3 ppd smoker with a sore throat anyway, but it got worse about my first week vaping.

I discovered this AFTER figuring out I had a PG sensitivity though. You may want to try to rule that out, by trying different PG/VG ratios, but it is somewhat normal to have a sore throat in the beginning. I don't think everyone gets this symptom but many do.

With that said if it continues I'd probably see a doctor and make sure you aren't either VG or PG sensitive (at various ratios, I can tolerate about 8--10 PG but that's it). However, I think this is DEFINITELY not the silica.

Let us know how you get on.

Anna

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I only smoked the occasional cigarette and I'm not allergic I've smoked vape all the time just never had my own. So it's just something I gotta get used to?

If you only ever smoked the occasional cigarette then you don't need the nicotine - as a general rule.

Nicotine adds to something called throat hit, especially in a subohm device, so it can contribute to a sore throat.

Pg (an ingredient in your ejuice) also adds to throat hit, so you might seek an ejuice that is closer to an 80VG / 20 PG mix, this coupled with zero nicotine will be the easiest on your throat.

However, the higher VG amount will likely give you a heavy feeling in your lungs, and make it seem harder to breathe since your the equivalent of a non smoker.. so you'll need to find your own balance between the VG percentage and the PG percentage in order to keep both the heaviness and the throat hit as low as possible on both..(you may find a 70/30 mix better for you, for instance)

Since "I can't breathe" is different things to different people, at any point your scared because you don't feel like your getting enough oxygen then go immediately to a doctor or an ER.

In the end, if your not allergic then vaping on a regular basis is something your body needs to adjust to, and usually will given a week or two..

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I'm willing to bet the device itself has something to do with it. You're going from smoking to vaping. The vape unit they sold you comes with very low resistance coils and produces tons of clouds. IMO those are not the right devices to start out with when vaping. The amount of vapor you are inhaling has to be way more in volume than the smoke you were inhaling.

Goto661

Jun 6, 2018
Thank you guys I wasn't worried that I actually breathed in or smoked any pellets I was worried that I inhaled the silica dust and it may hurt me in somewhere or give me the sore throat or the heavy lungs that I'm experiencing. And just to be clear I didn't wash the bowl until after I got sore throat cuz I thought that what could be causing it.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, always wash your tanks when you get them. If it's not a silica packet, you may have machining oil and who knows WHAT else on the tank. So, get into that habit.

I still think this may be quitting issues. I WILL also say, I showed up here with a very low resistance tank and 12 m.g. nicotine juice. I was getting nicotine overload, and I found via trial and error, I do better with MTL low vapor output tanks. You may need higher nicotine, if you are struggling still after a while, I might look at different equipment and even Nicotine Salt juices. They are designed for less harshness and don't give much if any throat hit.

If you are feeling a "heavy" feeling in your lungs, that may mean you need less VG, but PG does have more of a throat hit as well, so that may be an issue.

I do think nicotine salts may help you. I started using them fairly early on (in do it yourself eliquid) but they typically (the premade juices) come in fairly high concentrations. You may be able to dilute the juice some, and they really (the premade juices) aren't designed for sub0hm setups, the nic level is going to be way too high. If you find yourself meandering the MTL direction, they may be worth looking into.

best of luck

Anna

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
You're right now that I recall the tank was assembled the coil was in and the only thing that wasn't on was the battery so the only place it could have gone through was the mouth piece and he blew it out when he took it apart so I doubt that's why I'm coughing sooooo bad I have a prince stick with 3mg juice why does my throat hurt and lungs hurt?

Ok thank you my main concern was making sure I didn't inhale salica. And I forgot that the top piece was all together so that pretty much elimiates that possibly and if some big pieces or small I would have found them yesterday while cheating it

So you go from not really smoking to direct to lung sub-Ω cloud chasing. In the words of Bubba, well there's your problem.
Turn your wattage down. Way down.
Maybe get a mouth to lung tank with high Ω coils.

The next step is more difficult. Try 100% PG and 100% VG. It will probably take some searching and internet buying. Sore throat, I would try a 100% VG liquid first.

Although as an immune suppressed person, "he blew it out", oh yeah, that's TB for sure. :lol:
I can't believe how freely people pass germs around (and I used to do it too).

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
The shop guy “blew into” the tank made me nauseous. Think I may have preferred the silica in my lungs- eww :confused:

:lol:
It amazes me how much I've changed to spot things like that.
Used to not think about it, and I got sick a lot even after I quit smoking. Since going on immune suppressants and getting paranoid I haven't been sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread