Status
Not open for further replies.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Bear with me all as I have to be a bit verbose.

• I have a boxer bf mod
  • I have numerous rda
  • I am vaping mtl a juice I’ve been vaping 5+ years.

I didn’t use my boxer or any rda for a while. When I did a rebuild as usual I noticed a “bad” flavour. Like most of you I went through a series of steps to no avail

• I changed atomisers did a new build and soaked (vinegar, then retainer brite, baking soda and ultimately boiled) the other one
  • I confirmed if I drip the juice tastes as expected
  • I changed bottles and soaked (like above) the bottle
  • I took apart the boxer and soaked the 510 (as above)

Obviously these cleanings weren’t all at once. I tried vinegar. Then when that failed I tried retainer brite (great to remove discolouration but leaves a slightly mint flavour for a few draws),when that didn’t work I tried boiling.

At this point I’m starting to wonder if something is going on with the way the mod is activating. The only thing left I can think of is that for some reason (and I’m not sure why it would have developed) when the metal bar contacts the ring on the 510/feeding tube area there’s some kind of charge that’s happening and raining juice or melting plastic (which I don’t see). Either that or there is some mould or something deep in the 510 assembly.

Have any of you ever experienced this kind of flavour terrible all of a sudden? I have now tried 4 bottles with four tubes. I have cleaned every element at least five times. I have confirmed I’m not just tasting it wrong by dripping.

it’s clearly not the atomiser or build related. I have a hard time believing it’s bottle related after what I’ve done to them.

I just cannot figure this out. The next step of course is going to be to try and use the same bottles /atomiser on another mod but I thought I’d ping you all to see what your thoughts are - because in ten years of vaping I haven’t experienced this, and troubleshooting has taken hours so far.

Just a few final points
  • no shorting
  • Very minor sparks as you’d expect from this mod and the way it makes contact at an angle
  • Been vaping a very long time and building since almost day one
  • The rda’s are authentic, stainless etc I’ve tried 3 of them at least
  • It’s not wire or cotton

I’m stumped. Appreciate any thoughts.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Seems like you swapped out everything except the mod. The only part of the mod that should come into contact with the juice is the hole that goes through the 510. Guess there could be something inside there. Maybe put some alcohol in the bottle and pump it out through the 510. Trying another mod might give a clue.

Have you tried it with a different juice? That shouldn't be a factor since you already tried dripping it and it was OK. But as far as I can see you already tried everything that could logically cause the problem.

Have to say though, I've had some obscure problems over the years that I never did figure out.

• Agree
Reactions: Pigs

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Did you clean the tubes as well as the bottles?
I'd futher suspect the atty - under the O-rings perhaps - but are you saying dripping with THE SAME RDA tastes OK? That IS mysterious!
Last thought - a lot of "bad taste" can actually be "bad smell" - have you sniffed your boxer?

:eek: o_O :rolleyes:

upload_2020-12-29_18-58-46.png

:D:D

Reactions: Izan

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Bear with me all as I have to be a bit verbose.

• I have a boxer bf mod
  • I have numerous Rda
  • I am vaping mtl a juice I’ve been vaping 5+ years.

I didn’t use my boxer or any rda for a while. When I did a rebuild as usual I noticed a “bad” flavour. Like most of you I went through a series of steps to no avail

• I changed atomisers did a new build and soaked (vinegar, then retainer brite, baking soda and ultimately boiled) the other one
  • I confirmed if I drip the juice tastes as expected
  • I changed bottles and soaked (like above) the bottle
  • I took apart the boxer and soaked the 510 (as above)

Obviously these cleanings weren’t all at once. I tried vinegar. Then when that failed I tried retainer brite (great to remove discolouration but leaves a slightly mint flavour for a few draws),when that didn’t work I tried boiling.

At this point I’m starting to wonder if something is going on with the way the mod is activating. The only thing left I can think of is that for some reason (and I’m not sure why it would have developed) when the metal bar contacts the ring on the 510/feeding tube area there’s some kind of charge that’s happening and raining juice or melting plastic (which I don’t see). Either that or there is some mould or something deep in the 510 assembly.

Have any of you ever experienced this kind of flavour terrible all of a sudden? I have now tried 4 bottles with four tubes. I have cleaned every element at least five times. I have confirmed I’m not just tasting it wrong by dripping.

it’s clearly not the atomiser or build related. I have a hard time believing it’s bottle related after what I’ve done to them.

I just cannot figure this out. The next step of course is going to be to try and use the same bottles /atomiser on another mod but I thought I’d ping you all to see what your thoughts are - because in ten years of vaping I haven’t experienced this, and troubleshooting has taken hours so far.

Just a few final points
  • no shorting
  • Very minor sparks as you’d expect from this mod and the way it makes contact at an angle
  • Been vaping a very long time and building since almost day one
  • The rda’s are authentic, stainless etc I’ve tried 3 of them at least
  • It’s not wire or cotton

I’m stumped. Appreciate any thoughts.

That's weird, Maybe try a bottle made of soft plastic instead of silicone? Unless you did already, all I can think of.

I will try that next. I suppose all of the bottles having been stored in the same place and being of the same material could have had something attached to them. Seems unlikely but worth a go!

Seems like you swapped out everything except the mod. The only part of the mod that should come into contact with the juice is the hole that goes through the 510. Guess there could be something inside there. Maybe put some alcohol in the bottle and pump it out through the 510. Trying another mod might give a clue.

Have you tried it with a different juice? That shouldn't be a factor since you already tried dripping it and it was OK. But as far as I can see you already tried everything that could logically cause the problem.

Have to say though, I've had some obscure problems over the years that I never did figure out.

I’ve taken out the bottom feed assembly (pin, spring, small Metal ring) and cleaned that the same way unfortunately. At least I know some mysteries can’t be solved.

Did you clean the tubes as well as the bottles?
I'd futher suspect the atty - under the O-rings perhaps - but are you saying dripping with THE SAME RDA tastes OK? That IS mysterious!
Last thought - a lot of "bad taste" can actually be "bad smell" - have you sniffed your boxer?

:eek: o_O :rolleyes:

View attachment 923947

:D:D

haha.
Yes dripping in the same Ed’s was no issue. The smell is a great thought however I was even using the boxer to fire the atty when dripping. Cleaned the tubes too but I may have some fresh tubing to try. Silicon bottles are expensive so getting another of those is a pain.

Thank you all. This is as much to ensure I’m not missing anything so if I decide to pack this stuff in then I know I tried everything.

I guess I’m still on the mouldy 510 (maybe it persisted despite or the fact firing it is affecting the juice in the tube or something. I will try a new mod tomorrow

today’s round of cleaning does seem to have helped a bit - if the new atomiser has the issue then I will go with bottles I guess. .

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Oh here’s more for the mystery.

if I over squonk it is normal like dripping.
The wick is absolutely not dry.

This makes me think it’s not the bottle. Maybe the tube or again the 510 being mouldy - or again something about firing affecting the juice in the tube which then gets pumped into the atty.

• Winner
Reactions: Izan

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
@h00ligan, I have a Squeezer bf mod which I think is very similar to the Boxer design, specially in how switch contact is made with the 510 assembly. I broke my 510 connector's plastic insulator piece after a few weeks due to pressure from contact with the switch's metal plate. I don't know if I put too much pressure on the switch button, or if the insulator molding was bad from the get go, but there is a weakness in this design there. Have not replaced the 510 yet, but one of these days I will. It is a neat mod :)

I know you said you took out the 510 to soak it, but I would have another look at it and check for any cracks. Mine did not taste funky before it broke completely, but I'm thinking you might have a crack there and that could be the issue.

Best of luck with it :thumb:

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
@h00ligan, If you have any pipe cleaners, they should fit down through the 510. You might be able to check if there is something (like you mentioned/mold) that it could remove if it exists. Just a thought

Tube. Replace the tube if you can.

When you squonk is your juice discoloured at all? Sounds like it is between tube and bf pin so tube or 510 assembly. Apologies if this has already been covered by other posts.

I use these to clean my squonk plumbing.

$1.46 Mini Cleaning Brushes for E-Cigarettes (5-Piece) - black at FastTech - Free Shipping

@h00ligan, I have a Squeezer bf mod which I think is very similar to the Boxer design, specially in how switch contact is made with the 510 assembly. I broke my 510 connector's plastic insulator piece after a few weeks due to pressure from contact with the switch's metal plate. I don't know if I put too much pressure on the switch button, or if the insulator molding was bad from the get go, but there is a weakness in this design there. Have not replaced the 510 yet, but one of these days I will. It is a neat mod :)

I know you said you took out the 510 to soak it, but I would have another look at it and check for any cracks. Mine did not taste funky before it broke completely, but I'm thinking you might have a crack there and that could be the issue.

Best of luck with it :thumb:

Thank you all for taking what must have been a fair bit of time reading and considering the issue.

Given I have spent so much time already trying to diagnose this and it is, once again, awful this morning (it’s almost like a perfumed kind of tasted - it tastes like perfume smells) - I decided to buy more relevant parts.

so I got the rebel bf 510 assembly a super soft silicon bottle (£10 is crazy) and 3m of tubing.

if I replace all this stuff and it doesn’t work that would be insane.

The only thing I care about replacing / throwing away are the four or five expensive bottles. One is shot - it’s discoloured and kind of gross. 2 are band new looking. The other two are barely used looking.

The question now is do I try to troubleshoot step by step or replace it all and see if it all works as expected. The problem with this flavour invasion is wherever it’s coming from it gets into every component and takes ages to get out. So if I put a new tube, 510, and fresh atty on and it’s the old bottle. I potentially taint the other stuff.

All in all I think I need to just replace it all and try to find a. Way to really clean the bottles and use new tubing with them.

Anyway I’ll post back when I receive the goods. It won’t be until at least Wednesday unfortunately but at least I have a next step. In the meantime I’ll build my outstanding aluminium mod made by our own board member and see if that has any issue.

Thanks again all. I do appreciate it.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The question now is do I try to troubleshoot step by step or replace it all and see if it all works as expected. The problem with this flavour invasion is wherever it’s coming from it gets into every component and takes ages to get out. So if I put a new tube, 510, and fresh atty on and it’s the old bottle. I potentially taint the other stuff.

All in all I think I need to just replace it all and try to find a. Way to really clean the bottles and use new tubing with them.

I agree that replacing everything is the best first step. If that solves the problem, you have the option of sticking with that solution, or putting back one other component at a time until you find the culprit if you want to do that.

I'm still not convinced that the flavor invasion will transfer to all the parts, but that's just my opinion. You might just have very good taste buds, and mine have very likely been dulled significantly by 37 years of smoking, but in my experience bad flavors are reasonably easy to clean out of parts once you know what parts to clean.

Anyway I’ll post back when I receive the goods.

Please do that. I would be very interested know what you find out :)

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Firstly, i'd like to say i'm sorry in advance for my suggestion.

I'm a little late to the party but i'm going to out on a limb and say it anyway. "It's you" not your hardware.

If you've tried "everything" and still have the same problem then there is only one thing i can think of that is causing that problem.

Try packing more wick into your coils ensuring that none of the inside of the coils are left bare where there is no contact between the coil and the wick.

That's all i've got. A snug wick !.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread