• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Welcome and introduce yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelbeethehmmrgirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Belle, West Virginia, United States
I did this in a disscussion now I am doing in a thread as we have enough membes now !!!!!!!!! :thumbs:
Hello my name is Shelly and I have ADHD. I created this group as place where we multitaskers can come to be together and share our experiances. Feel free to share also please let nme know if you want others to be able to read the group or only members.

Thanks and welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: HannahD

DanteInferno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2010
A Hot Place
I am Patrick and I am ADDH and CDO. So I am Attention deficit disorder hyperactive and Compulsive Disorder Obsessive which means I have to start tasks in a specific order which I lose focus on and have to start over often. Add the hyperactive portion and I do it really really fast.

I currently have 25 open browser tabs but they are all alphabetically sorted and color code. I don't remember what half of them do but I click them so fast they look like a flipbook. However, I must resolve everyone of them before I can do anything else. So you see, I don't get very much done.

That okay Shelly?
:pervy:

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
I am Patrick and I am ADDH and CDO. So I am Attention deficit disorder hyperactive and Compulsive Disorder Obsessive which means I have to start tasks in a specific order which I lose focus on and have to start over often. Add the hyperactive portion and I do it really really fast.

I currently have 25 open browser tabs but they are all alphabetically sorted and color code. I don't remember what half of them do but I click them so fast they look like a flipbook. However, I must resolve everyone of them before I can do anything else. So you see, I don't get very much done.

That okay Shelly?
:pervy:

If you really had OCD you'd make it CDO because afterall, that is in alphabetical order.

Daifne

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Wisconsin
Bringing this up from Discussion:

I was diagnosed as ADD (no H), about 10 years ago, in my mid 40's.

I will state right out that I do NOT see ADD or ADHD as an illness or as a disability. It's a difference in the way we think compared to the "norm". I wouldn't want to have my brain work any other way. I've tried the drugs and was lost because of the way they changed my thinking. I won't get all political yet, but this "diagnosis" is just a way to segregate those of us who think and learn differently. ADD and ADHD (the real thing, not what they are diagnosing way too many kids as having) is closely related to intelligence. The higher your IQ, the more likely you are to be ADD/ADHD. Not to brag, but my IQ is 152. What we need in this country is for this to be recognized and for us to be given the opportunity to be educated in a way that will work with our gift, not to try to drug us to be more complacent and "normal".

Rant mode off. Sorry.

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
My name is also Amy and I've never been formally diagnosed with ADD, but every single report card, and most job reviews I've had over the years have reported my seemingly super-human talent of getting my tasks "done" at the last minute, (in record speed), yet giving the appearance of being in a constant state of chaos.
I am pretty certain that it's ADD, with a mild H component to it.
I agree with Daifne whole heartedly.
I would not change my brain for anything, especially working in the tech industry the ability to keep a few chainsaws in the air at the same time is a gift.
I can remember finite details about places and people from my childhood, but I frequently lose my keys, and forget what I've set out to buy at the grocery store. (ever put your keys in the freezer by mistake?)
I'm a very visual thinker, I can speak "geek" which is good because I'm in what should be a non-technical job (I write business requirement and functional spec docs for software) - I can talk to both the business people and the programmers. YAY

I will say that it really sucked when I was a kid, and could not focus on what the truly uninspired teachers were spewing out. I hated math until I started to work in the tech industry (and now it's a tech/software company that serves the banking industry! go figure). I always fell asleep in class, or worse - got caught writing poetry or doodling cartoons on my notebooks.

It's a liability when we're kids, in a cookie-cutter school system.
It's an asset as adults when we realize that this gift we've been given, is really a bit of a super power.

Reactions: Shield's Girl

Shelbeethehmmrgirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Belle, West Virginia, United States
I agree, yes I maybe scattered brained and flighty as some put it. But that what makes me, me. I wouldn't change it all except when I want to sleep at night my brain won't turn off and I just keeping finding things to stay awake. :p I just need everything to move quickly, I have no patience to wait on anything!

ChuckDragon

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Bringing this up from Discussion:

I was diagnosed as ADD (no H), about 10 years ago, in my mid 40's.

I will state right out that I do NOT see ADD or ADHD as an illness or as a disability. It's a difference in the way we think compared to the "norm". I wouldn't want to have my brain work any other way. I've tried the drugs and was lost because of the way they changed my thinking. I won't get all political yet, but this "diagnosis" is just a way to segregate those of us who think and learn differently. ADD and ADHD (the real thing, not what they are diagnosing way too many kids as having) is closely related to intelligence. The higher your IQ, the more likely you are to be ADD/ADHD. Not to brag, but my IQ is 152. What we need in this country is for this to be recognized and for us to be given the opportunity to be educated in a way that will work with our gift, not to try to drug us to be more complacent and "normal".

Rant mode off. Sorry.

Nice rant. My parents put me on Ritalin in the 3rd grade. I couldn't sit still or stay in my seat. I have found that this ailment has allowed me to be self employed and loving every minute of it. The ability to super focus for hours without stopping has been a real benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread