Well Gollllly, this Pipe 601 sure does make me look smarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treadmaker

Apr 4, 2010
illinois
and not only is the DSE601 a beautiful thing to look at, I'm its biggest fan.
It's been 3 days since I picked up an analogue after 20 years; never intended to quit tobacco entirely but this Pipe601 just tastes better and its just plain cheaper than analogues. I just ordered my 3rd one as another backup since I read they break down quickly but am happy about the design, the volume of vapor, and its value compared to a carton of coffin nails.

Going to miss the clerks at the local walgreens, but I told them I'd be getting my Pipe601 and probably wouldnt visit them as often. I muse the thought of writing a dear John letter to Illinois for avoiding thier 3 dollar tax on each pack of camels but alas they'll see it on the red side of thier accounting ledger anywhows.

Treadmaker

Apr 4, 2010
illinois
Mine both work, they do seem to perform best just dripping onto the atomizer than using the cartridge; so even with my drippers in 5, 10 and 15 ml containers I sort of prefer just using a pipet on the case of 50 cherry cartridges I have. Based on reviews I'm expecting them to fizzle in as soon as a month and last as long as six months which seems fine with me. I'm planning on ordering a new starter kit about once a month, albeit a wee pricy its still cheaper than packs of camels here in Illinois and the wood is exquisite with luster and lines. Oh, and the vapor is intense, I get great throat hits and the clouds of flavored mist just make me glad to be a vapor.

DallasEd

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I've been using my DSE601 for almost two months now. I finally put down the cigarettes completely a little over a week ago. So far, so good. My 601 is still working great. Some people have had problems with theirs and I'm reading that the atty burns out after about 6 weeks. I'm just passed 6 weeks, and no problems to report. I do have a spare - just in case. At about $70.USD it's a heck of a lot cheaper than smoking 2 1/2 packs of $7 a pack cigarettes a day like I was doing. So no complaints in that department. I keep the cart full to the brim with no flooding. But boy this thing can suck down the juice (maybe that's just me). I bought a 5mil bottle of TW menthol to try their juice and opened a new cart. The new cart took damn near the whole bottle to fill it up.

I did order an extra battery after I got my pipe, and I didn't charge it the full 12 hours like they say to do and it shows. Now I've got one battery that will not hold a charge as long as the other two. (All three look the same...) So I recommend charging any new battery you get the full 12 hours.

I find that if I take a long slow mouth hit, the atty works best. Drawing short and hard gives me a burn taste even with a full cart. I have had problems like other people here with the pipe atty just turning itself on for no reason - but it's rare. My pipe did develop a small crack in the bowl rim, but I had some of that super glue with a brush applicator and I just brushed the glue in the crack - let it dry and brushed some more, and the crack didn't get any bigger. (I'm a carpenter/cabinetmaker and know quite a bit about wood - the bowl is real Rosewood BTW).

I'm a fan - I guess you could tell. But I'm not smoking analogs any more - 9 days today - and that's what really counts.

Ed.

DallasEd

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I've found that if I blow into the pipe, the light goes off. I guess that turns off the switch, whereas sucking on the pipe turns the switch on.

Works for me.

It's a weird feeling not having to leave the house without a days supply of cigarettes and a lighter. I think I like it. Congrats to you on the 4 days.

Ed.

Last edited:

DallasEd

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
After 2 1/2 month I have 2 left out of 6. So they don't last long.
Has anybody here tried the original Ruyan 601 pipe? I know it's more expensive than the DSE601 pipe, but they say the DSE601 is a knock-off of the original Ruyan.

There is a thread or two here that compairs the two, and I've read the original 601 pipe from Ruyan is a higher quality pipe and will last a lot longer.

Ed.

Last edited:

DallasEd

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Just got my pipe from DSE..batteries DOA, wonder how thats gonna go with trying to get replacements...what a pain. Hope they aren't going to make it a big deal to replace them.

Even after charging them for the full 12 hours? Wow, that sucks - well, I guess I should say it doesn't suck, hell............ you know what I mean.

Ed.

Treadmaker

Apr 4, 2010
illinois
I bought my 601 kits from Bigboxstore.com, albeit the charger issue from the first kit they have kept me from the analogues for exactly a week as of today. I have a third enroute from Shenzen based on the unfortunate issues experienced by many. I have to say though that once you have a logistics network set up the Pipe 601 is freakin full of awesome vapor.
Maybe since I've spent the last decade in the automotive components industry I've developed a massive tolerance for all things breakable, Murphy's Law applied. I also surmised just before jumping into the Pipe601-users-lifestyle that if I can get two weeks out of an atomizer-bowl in exchange for the carton of Camels I avoid I'm breaking even.
Nevertheless, hope to see you regrip the rosewood sometime in the future, you totally deserve a massive throat-hit and a dapper grimace for all of your sacrifice.

DallasEd

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I'm feeling about the same way as Treadmaker. This technology is still in it's infancy. It won't be long before all the bugs are worked out, unless big tobacco gets it's way and these things are banned, and they've got the money to make that happen.

Sure, there are still issues with these things, but I'll take that over smoking cigarettes any day. I'm going on two weeks of not having any tobacco in my system and I honestly don't think that's happened since I was 14 and I turned 56 last March.

I've got a DSE901 E-Cig and it just doesn't give me the amount of vapor or cart life or battery life that this pipe does. I don't know what happened, but yesterday I found a new small crack in the side of the bowl - nothing that a little superglue can't fix. The atty has gotten stuck on more today than ever - ever since I filled up a cart with Atomic Cinnicide Juice. (I wouldn't recommend that stuff unless you're really into Red Hots Candy). But even with all the problems that these things have, I'm sold.

I just wish I could order an original Ruyan pipe for less than $200. The comparison reviews say the original is a lot less problematic. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet.... It's still cheaper than 4 cartons of cigarettes which would only last me about three weeks.

Ed.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
The big mistake on the 601 is the non replaceable atomizer.
I have 2, but I've learned to rebuild them. I bought 1 and the other was given to me DOA.
They will vape like a beast and good flavor, but why did they bury the atty?
It would have been simple for them to make an insertion tool so the atty could be threaded in and out. Geeesh....not rocket science.

They are well built, good feel, but not cheap.

I'd trade some high mg flavorless eliquid for 1 or 2 with bad attys if anyone is interested.
Shoot me a PM.

I'm not expecting them to work...just parts stock. Dead atty ones preferred though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread