Well, i fried someone's Vapor Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Who the blank reverses the typical battery position (positive at bottom) and then doesn't include reverse battery protection?!?!?! Yeah, user error, but now I have to admit I fried some innocent person's dna mod????? Facepalm. (Yes, he is getting a replacement free of charge.)

Ungh. Really. Positive at the bottom on a (regulated -- hardly) device. It literally took less than a second to cook that sucker. User error, yeah, but obvious design flaw.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

I feel your pain. I fried a kick2 the very same way. Now when I change my vaporshark batteries, I look in the case at the plus sign, check the alignment of the battery, making sure the positive end is facing away from the 510 connection and count to five before i push it in. Pbusardo made such a fuss over the problem when he talked to the evolv guys. Now I know exactly why.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
It was all on me. I have no need for a DNA device, so I wasn't hip to the reverse battery position. I am now, though! I'm about as old school as old school gets. I still use cartos. I've seen and used DNA devices but never had to open one up until last night.

Still, though, two hundred dollars worth of machining and electronics but no reverse battery protection. Huh.

I just thank goodness the guy was extremely nice and understanding. He had every right to skewer me then and there. And he's getting a brand new one, too.

Just embarrassing as hell.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Yes, i do, and we were in a massive last-hour rush. Between a lady getting a starter kit and a line of people waiting in line for juice, coils, etc, the person asked if a button top would work and i said, "Let's find out." And in the rush i didn't stop to check for the markings (they were most definitely there), slapped the battery in, turned it on, INSTANT burning smell and a hot battery. It happened so quickly there was no going back. I doubt he was new. He mentioned owning two provaris and four other mods. Again, the guy was as nice as could be in said situation.

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
Well, can't really blame Vapor Shark for DNA short comings, but yes clear marking of the compartment would be nice.

You kinda can though... I get that putting a diode in there isn't a viable choice given a .7v drop... BUT... A simple N-channel MOSFET can be popped in there and you'll have reverse battery protection and a voltage drop that is literally only a couple millivolts. Yes evolv should have put it on the board, but there's no reason someone making an almost $200 device (especially if they wire it backwards to most other mods KNOWING it has this issue) shouldn't have sprung for a 5 cent MOSFET to keep someone from accidentally frying their mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread