well it happened_ alarm rang a hole in my heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
i have no idea how it even computed that was what the sound was_ i've been sitting for the last 5 minutes waiting to hear sirens coming from the fire station down the street; no idea if smoke detectors in Germany have an auto-call or will warn my landlord (he has presence detectors for some parts of the house which send him notifications, either by phone or email)

i've been vaping inside the studio for 4 months now, why now? this wasn't even the heaviest day, nor the closest i've vaped to the loud ........ [i've talked abt this before and know it happens random, sometimes just from MTL, just rant... venting really]

the first one to say relax... have a vape am-na bite'em in the nose!

should, i be doing something other than turning it off and airing the room out?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Maybe crack a window when you’re vaping so you don’t fog up the room? It happens. If it’s one of the newer detectors they have a photoelectric cell that’s more sensitive to vapor than the old ionization chamber detectors. Even a steamy shower can set them off if the door to the bathroom is open and the detector is in the vicinity.

I would not take the battery out. The detector is there to save your life if there’s a fire. Besides, it may be hard wired with the battery for backup if the power goes out. I’m assuming this came with the studio you’re renting or bought as if you installed it you’d know what’s up. As it’s a once in the last 4 months, I wouldn’t sweat it. I’ve set them off cooking, and simply press the reset button and wave the smoke away from it.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
Maybe crack a window when you’re vaping so you don’t fog up the room? It happens. If it’s one of the newer detectors they have a photoelectric cell that’s more sensitive to vapor than the old ionization chamber detectors. Even a steamy shower can set them off if the door to the bathroom is open and the detector is in the vicinity.

I would not take the battery out. The detector is there to save your life if there’s a fire. Besides, it may be hard wired with the battery for backup if the power goes out. I’m assuming this came with the studio you’re renting or bought as if you installed it you’d know what’s up. As it’s a once in the last 4 months, I wouldn’t sweat it. I’ve set them off cooking, and simply press the reset button and wave the smoke away from it.

yes no idea how it works. but it looks the same as the generic stuff i've seen online when i started looking into what i should do. the reset button is a big circle in the middle
maxresdefault.jpg

like this guy.

i always crack a window and vape near and at it. maybe too long today or the air was coming in the wrong direction or it was the 0.4ohm coils (first coil that's neither 0.2 or MTL) donno_

wouldn't dare play with the alarm, for fear of the sound/trouble more than anything else.

i've been here over 3 years now, no one's changed it_ how new are the ones you're talking abt?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The new detectors required in the US now require a built in battery that can last about 3 years (I think, maybe 5 years) if they’re not wired into the main electricity. That was because few bothered to test them monthly and replace the 9V battery every 6 months. I don’t know how to just look at one to know the type and would likely take it down to see. If there’s a wire into the ceiling well then you know. If there’s no wire you can see what kind of battery it takes. Outside of that, they pretty much all look the same with a reset button somewhere on the side facing out.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
The new detectors required in the US now require a built in battery that can last about 3 years (I think, maybe 5 years) if they’re not wired into the main electricity. That was because few bothered to test them monthly and replace the 9V battery every 6 months. I don’t know how to just look at one to know the type and would likely take it down to see. If there’s a wire into the ceiling well then you know. If there’s no wire you can see what kind of battery it takes. Outside of that, they pretty much all look the same with a reset button somewhere on the side facing out.

oh so it's a battery thing too, didn't catch that by photoelectric cells vs ionization chamber_ i'll look into it.

Vape is heavier then air.Blow it at the floor and turn the fans off.You would be surprised how much this helps.

what fans i have fans?! :D i was blowing up at the crack...

i ahve been thinking abt an air purifier for diff reasons, that has any effect?

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Air purifier helps a fair amount as long as you change the filters when you should. You actually want the BACK of the purifier to be where you blow the vape, so it filters through.

I have set off ONE fire alarm with an ill timed MTL puff when I was adjusting the thermostat.

I should note it was one of the ones that did not go off during our fire. Our government sponsored loan required them to put in like 326 more fire alarms. The only one that went off was the one that was there to begin with. It made the husband get up to investigate, he was in the middle of falling asleep.

Those alarms are still there and the husband rebatteries every year. I have no clue WHY although I guess they will catch a vaper under the right circumstances. Useful for parents, maybe.
IDK

Anna

• Informative
Reactions: virm

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
Mine has a 10-year battery.... but most new homes here (built in the last 10-20+ years) have the detectors hardwired into the homes electric system and then they have a battery backup.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Get a can of compressed air and blow out the detector. Dust build up inside them can cause them to get extra sensitive. If you let it keep building up they will get to the point they go off even with a light breeze of clean air. They should be cleaned annually.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
Get a can of compressed air and blow out the detector. Dust build up inside them can cause them to get extra sensitive. If you let it keep building up they will get to the point they go off even with a light breeze of clean air. They should be cleaned annually.
oh... ok.. i'll search how to clean'em.. thnx

Reactions: Eskie

steamhunter

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Air purifier helps a fair amount as long as you change the filters when you should. You actually want the BACK of the purifier to be where you blow the vape, so it filters through.

I have set off ONE fire alarm with an ill timed MTL puff when I was adjusting the thermostat.

I should note it was one of the ones that did not go off during our fire. Our government sponsored loan required them to put in like 326 more fire alarms. The only one that went off was the one that was there to begin with. It made the husband get up to investigate, he was in the middle of falling asleep.

Those alarms are still there and the husband rebatteries every year. I have no clue WHY although I guess they will catch a vaper under the right circumstances. Useful for parents, maybe.
IDK

Anna

Funny thing, I've never considered air purifiers to be helpful. But it does sound reasonable. The only question I have now - is there any difference between the HEPA filters and basic ones. Or they work the similar way?

Each time I vape inside my studio, I just open the window or turn on the fan.
I know that some of my friends prefer to take the batteries out of alarm system, but it seems to be a bad idea, imo at least.

• Agree

steamhunter

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Funny thing, I've never considered air purifiers to be helpful. But it does sound reasonable. The only question I have now - is there any difference between the HEPA filters and basic ones. Or they work the similar way?

Each time I vape inside my studio, I just open the window or turn on the fan.
I know that some of my friends prefer to take the batteries out of alarm system, but it seems to be a bad idea, imo at least.

Thanks again to Anna, I've done my research.
Also it sounds so obvious that I feel a bit stupid now, hah.

Despite vapour not being an official trigger for smoke alarms there are times when this may happen anyhow. It can be confusing, as most smoke alarms may well be completely fine with you vaping around them, but of you happen across one which detects the particle change or broken light beam means you are going to hear that ringing bell.
- source

Fortunately, reports of electronic cigarettes setting off fire alarms are rare. Smoke alarms are designed to detect smoke, and electronic cigarettes produce vapour. In addition, vapour dissipates a lot faster than smoke.

However, the use of PG and flavourings is thought to create larger particles than the average steam from a kettle. And according to Ohio University, fog machines, which contain propylene glycol too, can also set off fire alarms.
- source

So technically, if it's not about temp or cloud, then it's particles and that's where the purifier cames to rescue.
And here's the question, from my experience regular ones (like these - ours was GermGuardian) won't do the trick. We've used one to reduce the dust level in my working room, still I've triggered alarm twice (almost in a row, but that's another story) while vaping. Maybe HEPA ones would work better? I heard that people with allergies use them since they are capable of capturing particles that are smaller than dust.

Any experience?

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Mine has a 10-year battery.... but most new homes here (built in the last 10-20+ years) have the detectors hardwired into the homes electric system and then they have a battery backup.
Ours are the ones hardwired into the home electric system with a battery backup and they are annoying as all heck. When the power goes out they chirp every 30 seconds or so even with a new battery making sleep impossible. Now realize I live in hurricane country so VERY long power outages can and do happen a bit more frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread