Status
Not open for further replies.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Damn man we live in the same city, I could have been on that street car. What gives, you claim to practice safe procedures but at the same time state "hey things happen." Sorry this crap makes me frustrated as anything and I am furious after reading about a vented battery and a mech mod literally exploding. Come on man, are you even sure that your VTC5s were real. Where and when did you get them? What vape shop do you frequent I know some great ones in Toronto that wouldn't sell a newb a mech even for a milly (not saying your a newb, but damn man...come on)

I don't know...maybe coming on a little too strong here.

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
Spring loaded top pin.....Spring collapse is one of many.

Yeah, and while I'm not familiar with that many mods, most being variations on a them, every single tube mod I've seen with bottom switches have that design flaw where the center post can work loose and eventually auto fire if not caught.

There are warning signs like the travel getting shorter on something like the Nemesis, or the button sticking out farther on something like the Panzer. But if its sitting in a console as you're driving down a dirt road, or sitting in your pocket and you aren't actively using it, there's no way of telling until its too late.

With my Nemesis I get a little complacent because it isn't as prone to the issue as my Panzer which is notoriously bad for the button coming loose or the 510 screw backing out and the battery rattling. I find myself checking the switch a few times a day and removing the battery from it if I'm not using it while carrying it around.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
Wells..it either shorted or you didn't lock it or bought a mech that didn't lock. That battery(although your right on the amp threshold) can take that load safely.

Apparently, breakages are pretty common when people carry the whole fully assembled e-cig in their pocket - I always unscrew the cartomiser from the battery before stowing in a pocket to avoid this happening.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
Personally I think if you attempt builds like these...even though you know what you are doing...that it should be left at home where you can handle it without worrying that other people could get hurt.

At least you took it safely away. ...Not like that coward at the Vape meet that Pbusardo was at and just dropped it and ran.

Did he make it out of the instantaneous vapourisation radius? - Oh hang on, this scaremongering is contagious!

BoomerFZ1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa
Before getting into this story I want to make it clear that I am well aware of the dangers involved in using Mechanical Mods. I always do my best to vape as safely as possible, but hey. Sometimes .... happens.

My set up in this case was a Stingray X with a Dark Horse RDA, Sony VTC 5 battary, duel 24 gauge kanthal twisted coils .2 ohm.

I was out a few days ago running errands, and like every other day I brought my mod out with me to vape on. Well all was going well until while I was on the street car on my way home I started feeling my leg getting hot right under where my mod was in my jacket pocket. I stood up and pulled the stop request button on the street car as I reached into my pocket to get my mod out, well the mod was so hot I couldn't touch it, and my pocket started smoking. By this point the street car had stopped for me to get off. I ran off, turned my pocket inside out and saw my MOD was POURING out smoke, for everywhere, the venting holes, and the top of the RDA. Luckily the street I was on wasn't very busy and I had time to kick the thing down an ally. I stood watching for a few minutes because I didn't want anyone walking by to approach the ally way and get hurt when POP!!!!!!! The whole thing blows apart. Luckily no one was hurt. I went back to my local vape shop and explained what happened to the owner of the shop, and he hooked me up with a new set up for free. Now I am using a IPV V2 60 watt box mod, and have a new Dark Horse RDA on it. Still not too sure what happened as the battery was working fine, and the whole set up was working for over two months without a problem. Anyways, just wanted to share that little story with everyone.

I hate to pile on, and for something totally different, but please think before you yank out your RDA with the .2 ohm build at the local bus stop (or any pubic place for that matter). Joe and Judy Blow, and their kids, won't be impressed with your cloud-blowing acumen. They'll more likely be appalled and assign your actions to the vaping public as a whole even though very few of us are cloud chasers. I'm not saying don't vape in public, but decorum should be our motto in this delicate time. Perception is key.

I shall stash the soap box now and let you get back to flaming this dude for almost blowing his leg off.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
I'm a little suspect myself.

The steel cased cells can build up a bit of pressure before they let go, so the ensuing antics can be a little more entertaining.

If you carry a fully assembled e-cig in your pocket, bending forces can distort the battery thread so much that the middle pin shorts.

If something else in your pocket nudges the button, the current switched into the short welds the switch contacts.

Talking to other vapers I've met, so far the worst I've heard about is e-cigs snapped in two in someone's back pocket when they sat down.

Its entirely possible my DIY mod could short in my pocket - that's why I always unscrew the clearomiser before stowing it.

Lithium batteries can be dangerous - if you don't handle them safely.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
OP: I am seriously glad that nothing happened to you or anyone else.

Everyone else: I'm sure that he brought this to our attention to let us know that crap happens and to be careful. Also to find out if there have been any other incidences in case there is an issue with this mod.

Lighten up a tad. Do we see any news stories going around? No? I didn't think so. If that was the intent, I bet a news outlet would have been notified BEFORE coming to ECF.

Chill.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
keep-calm-and-rest-in-peace-37.png

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
"Scaremongering".... Ummm.... His tube mod turned into a pipe bomb. Did you miss that part?

Because he put it in his pocket without unscrewing the carto - it got subjected to bending stress which caused the centre contact to short - the next item in his pocket nudged the button and switched the current into a short and welded the switch contacts.

Describing it as "a pipe bomb" is just like the little boy who cried wolf - you start off terrifying people, then they realise its all a great big hoax and won't believe you when it happens for real.

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I had a similar event, tho it didn't get quite that bad. I used a napkin to pull the mod out of my jacket pocket and another to open up and dump the battery. The battery was just a little warm, but the Atlantis was too hot to touch. and it was also a Stingray X.

the problem : User error, I didn't set my locking ring well enough.

mastatom85

Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
Broomfield; CO
See, I didn't know I just know my girl has been using mechs her whole career, she's actually what got me to become a more "high end" vaper if you will. I do know though at least (like you said) the battery should always be cool to touch however maybe the outside of the mech will get a bit warm but never "hot."
I don't claim to be an expert on mechs I am actually not even remotely close to that lol. I like my regulated high wattage boxes, I don't see the need for a mech now n days but to each there own, if you use a 650mah ego and 510 atty I am happy for you lol.

PLEASE DO NOT RIDE THE STREETCAR WITH YOUR MECH ANYMORE. Now everytime I get on the damn street car I have to worry about exploding mechs lol.

Ok well I have been vapeing for three years and I have probably been to 95% of shops in the GTA, never seen a VTC5 only 4s at one of them. Name the shop and I shall tell you if its good because sorry a lot of them aren't. I personally saw three days ago a shop selling fake VTC5s. They looked so bootleg it was unreal and he kicked me out when I was trying to snap some photos of the batteries to blast said shop on ecf. It doesn't help me that you were shaking like a leaf, couldn't care less. The fact that you had a mech actually explode really worry's me, the fact that I could have been on that street car with my nephew worry's me more. Just use a regulated device if you don't care to learn the ins and outs of battery's and so forth.

Your opinions are pretentious and rude. listening to this guys story he doesn't need to have it laid on by a rude troll over the internet. The fact is your nephew was safely not on the train car in this one time experience. get over the story get over your self and offer some helpful advice that doesn't come from your podium. mechs take alot of maintenance; they should be clean on a weekly basis; threads insides buttons contact, etc. one of the reasons a mod could do this if it got dirty on the inside and that built up. Also check your treads and make sure there are no shavings of metal hanging off that could come in contact with the battery. he didnt tell his story to read about your hypothetical nephew; get over your self and actually help him understand what may have happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread