The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Wells Fargo's Herzog increases 2018 US vapor sales estimate to $5.5 Billion

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by Bill Godshall, Feb 6, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bill Godshall

Bill Godshall Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2009
    Wells Fargo's Bonnie Herzog increased her 2018 US vapor sales estimate from $5.1B to $5.5B (just 4 weeks after she estimated it would be $5.1B). Due to the skyrocketing growth of Juul, Herzog increased her 2018 estimate for sales of cigalike e-cigs from $1.6B to $2B.

Below are Herzog's estimates for vapor sales in the US for both vapor market segments.
    2018 $5.5 Billion total, $3.5B PVs & e-liquid, $2.0B cigalike e-cigs
    2017 $4.4 Billion total, $3B PVs & e-liquid, $1.4B cigalike e-cigs
    2016 $4.1 Billion total, $2.5B PVs & e-liquid, $1.6B cigalike e-cigs
    2015 $3.5 Billion total, $2B PVs & e-liquid, $1.5B cigalike e-cigs
    2014 $2.5 Billion total, $1.1B PVs & e-liquid, $1.4B cigalike e-cigs

During the last 4 weeks, Juul captured 49.6% of cigalike e-cig sales, as BAT/Reynolds' Vuse declined to 20.5%, as Altria's Mark Ten declined to 11.4%, as Imperial's Blu declined to 8.6%, as JTI's Logic declined to 5.4%, and as NJOY declined to 1.8%.

Four weeks ago, I reported Herzog's sales estimates 2018 and the past four years at
    Herzog projects $5.1 Billion in US vapor sales in 2018, up from $4.4 Billion in 2017

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Wow! At that rate, it seems she's predicting that Juul will have sales of nearly a billion dollars this year..?

I realize that Juul is merchandised in the same way as cigalikes, but should it really be considered one? To me, it's a svelte pod-mod.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bill Godshall

Bill Godshall Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2009
    Herzog classified Juul in the cigalike e-cig market segment largely because of its huge sales increase and because Nielsen tracks sales of Juul.

I think Juul belongs in the cigalike e-cig category because Juul emits 55-60mg/ml of nicotine (which is even higher than Vuse's 45mg/ml, and Mark Ten's 35mg/ml) and has a small e-liquid tank (similar to other cigalike e-cigs).

Its also nice to see (IMO) a cigalike type e-cig made by a small start up company stealing market share from Big Tobacco's cigalike e-cigs.

Unfortunately, I suspect Juul will be owned by one of the large tobacco companies by the end of this year.

• Informative Informative x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.