"Welness" as an ideology

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
I'm all for wellness but it's gone way too far. When government thinks they know best for everyone, that's a dangerous thing. I'm all for common-sense standards for products & for promoting health, but people need to chill the hell out. Life is short. I personally don't want to live to be 101 years old being old, feeble, and wearing diapers. I'd rather have a fun, fulfilling life & live it on my terms however long that is. The nanny state has gone way too far, it seems people are constantly wanting to ban something else. People have to learn to live a little, make mistakes, skin your knee, the world won't end. And the world won't end if an adult chooses to enjoy a smoke or vape.

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
The problem in the case of vaping isnt that the government knows what is best, sadly they know all too well what is best and have taken sides against vaping and in doing so endangered public health in the name of profit as bought and paid for servants of lobbyists.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
It's highly annoying. Everytime i turn on the television or something I hear some fool talking head talking about "public health" this or "potentially dangerous" stupid hyperbole like that. Too many people have turned into mindless sheep, they believe anything that's told to them nobody thinks for themselves any more. I get ...... off everytime I hear someone on the radio or tv talking about "public health this" and "public health that". I mean, I'm for sensible regulations but people need to take some responsibility. I don't want some bureaucrat telling me all the time and deciding what's best for me. Life is about making choices, falling down sometimes, and getting back up.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
Personally, I'd rather live each day for today and if I want to smoke whatever, grass, vaping, or even tobacco, I should be able to do it without people constantly down my throat. I don't want to live to be 100 years old some shriveled up old man laying in a bed with adult diapers. We all have to go, might as well live for each day and enjoy life! My take. :cool:

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Reminds me of "Antifragile" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.
Darwin approves this video.

As a confirmed germ-collector I have to agree.
I want my body prepared and ready to fight all invaders.

I've taken pizza out of the trash one day later.

And I ate it.
And it was good.
:laugh:

I don't have a five second rule for food that hits the ground.
My rule is more like a few hours.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
People who have "wellness" understand what it is, what it feels like, and what it's all about. There is a vitality to wellness.

No justifications needed.

To me, wellness isn't about living longer. (never do understand this kind of thinking)

It's about feeling fantastic, energetic, and having vitality to do things that promote more wellness, like walking, exercizing, playing the sports you love, being able to do chores, go on trips, and generally really be part of the life you want.

It's about having a strong immune system that isn't broken down by the normal hazards of every day living.

So this idea about living forever and so not doing things to promote one's health makes no sense to me.

I actually meet quite a lot of people who do not know what "health" and "wellness" feel like or what they really are. they have never really "had it" to begin with. Mostly because of habits of lifestyle.

Most of my friends (who are not medically disabled) do not swim or hike or walk or workout or cook from scratch or do any of those things----I can't imagine living a sedentary life (unless there is a serious medical or physical disability that precludes that) or eating junk food, etc.

Wellness is something you want, regardless of how long you live, for all the reasons above........and then one of the most important is that you try to cut down on the possibility that you will develop a chronic, painful health condition that makes the last years that you DO LIVE, a very painful and uncomfortable experience. Because, there are worse things than dying.

I never felt like the government was dictating health to me. That is because, other than vaping, I live over, above and beyond their recommendations. :lol:

Meanwhile, I do try to be aware of the "lies and justifications" I told myself while continuing to smoke cigarettes. (We ALL know about those, right?) I made a list of them before I quit..........and i have them on the refrigerator. Because I do NOT want to ever hear those thoughts rumbling around in my head again.

Those "were" the thoughts and justifications of an addict in denial.
Not gonna allow them again, I know better.

QU1T

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
Benelux
It's highly annoying. Everytime i turn on the television or something I hear some fool talking head talking about "public health" this or "potentially dangerous" stupid hyperbole like that. Too many people have turned into mindless sheep, they believe anything that's told to them nobody thinks for themselves any more. I get ...... off everytime I hear someone on the radio or tv talking about "public health this" and "public health that". I mean, I'm for sensible regulations but people need to take some responsibility. I don't want some bureaucrat telling me all the time and deciding what's best for me. Life is about making choices, falling down sometimes, and getting back up.

Personally, I'd rather live each day for today and if I want to smoke whatever, grass, vaping, or even tobacco, I should be able to do it without people constantly down my throat. I don't want to live to be 100 years old some shriveled up old man laying in a bed with adult diapers. We all have to go, might as well live for each day and enjoy life! My take. :cool:

I disconnected my cable TV in both my homes, NO TV at all, no Radio, News on the net and only in small doses,
My woman does not miss it either anymore, and of course my son could care less as he is 4,
We also do not use Facebook or Twitter for personal accounts, only for business and keep it to a minimum,
This all helps calm the nerves in this strange world we now live in...

Some European countries you can smoke/vape what you want from dry herbs to Ecigs, legally, even in bars and clubs,
You are welcome, as is everybody from all over the planet it seems! ;)

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
By the way, I disagree heartily that wellness has suddenly become an idealogy...one only has to look at the thousands of years of Chinese medicine or the thousands of years of Native American, shamanistic, and other healing traditions of so many civilizations!

When you go to china you go out to any park in the early morning and there are all these older people outside doing their Tai Chi. :)

Wellness has always been a cherished practice, even to the point where the "healers" of all these civilizations have been revered and respected as wise men, etc.

That is because health IS the greatest wealth. This hasn't changed for thousands of years.

From the article: "But the incident demonstrated how pronounced the wellness obsession is. “I am reacting against the smug, self-righteousness people can have as others around them say: ‘Look at me – if everyone exercised like me, the world would be a better place,’” he says."

Gosh. I react against the smug, self-righteousness "I got mine, who cares if you get yours" attitude in some wealthy people have who can definitely afford better medical treatment and all the trainers, high priced food, etc. and don't realize how fortunate they are but seem to have no sense of largesse that privilege should bestow generosity (well, in the best people, it does).

However, I also don't live in denial. I think it is true that people who participate in good lifestyle choices, whether rich or poor, DO exhibit a higher level of "self-discipline".

Because running a triathalon, swimming or hiking on a regular basis DOES require commitment. I mean, it is a LOT easier to eat pizza and snacks out of bags and sit around watching TV.

Maybe I see things differently than some others......I believe that there was a certain amount of stupidity and also letting down my self discipline that allowed me to start smoking in the first place. And similarly, I have been overweight before, and I have to admit that it was because I ate indescriminately (things I wouldn't eat now) and didn't exercise.

I mean, I'm just not in denial about the things I do/did, and how they impact my overall health picture. I am responsible for that.

I knew I was pushing the envelope....my mom, unfortunately, is paying for pushing the envelope with advanced COPD.....she never even tried to quit smoking back in the day when there WERE many people who were. (and most said it WAS the hardest thing they ever did in their lives [this is before there was vaping])

BTW, I find almost an equal amount of discrimination going on from unhealthy, overweight, etc. people against those who are vegan, or who run or workout, hike, do yoga or meditate, or eat a healthy disciplined diet...... As if doing things that make you feel good or healthy is *weird* or something to be ridiculed?

So I think it goes both ways?

Reactions: nicnik

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
somebody confused the smug self righteousness of certain individuals
“I am reacting against the smug, self-righteousness people can have as others around them say: ‘Look at me – if everyone exercised like me, the world would be a better place,’” he says."

with a supposed 'wellness ideology' (of dubious existence)

and formed a generalization

Reactions: caramel

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
There are those that indulge...
There are those that deprive themselves...

Who is to say what is a "healthy" balance?

I know what works for me.

I don't eat what I want to eat all the time because I'll die if I do.
And I don't deprive myself all the time because I might just decide to kill myself if I did .

I monitor and adjust.
Trying hard not to overstep in either direction.

But some might find such an approach to not be the way they want to live either.
So it goes.
:)

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
BTW, I find almost an equal amount of discrimination going on from unhealthy, overweight, etc. people against those who are vegan, or who run or workout, hike, do yoga or meditate, or eat a healthy disciplined diet...... As if doing things that make you feel good or healthy is *weird* or something to be ridiculed?

It sure does.

Reactions: EBates

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Reminds me of "Antifragile" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.

Really simplistic explanation of a rather detailed concept but an 'introduction':

... basically the idea behind inoculations or what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

the book:
Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder (Incerto): Nassim Nicholas Taleb: 9780812979688: Amazon.com: Books

Anti-fragile is one of the best books I've ever read. Certainly opened my mind to a lot of previously-unconsidered ideas; always a definitive mark of a great book!

Andria

Reactions: Kent C

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

My mom constantly tells me I'm weird because I read food labels -- because a) I cannot ingest sulfites, ever; b) I try to watch my fat intake very closely, because of gallbladder problems, and c) I try to keep my electrolytes in healthy balance by watching my sodium/potassium intake. And though I love pastry and cookies and pie, I try to consume them moderately, if at all -- I'm about 10-15 lbs overweight, and really don't want to gain more, I'd rather lose about 10. I don't obsess over it -- lately I've been *trying* to take a walk in the evenings, but the humidity is still pretty high, can be a big problem; I have a pkg of cookies that's just for me -- I don't eat a lot of them, but when I want them, I want the kind I like to be there. So when she's constantly trying to push much more sugary stuff on me, I don't find it *too* hard to resist -- though if she's pushing baklava, all bets are off. Don't tell her I said that. :D

Andria

Reactions: Izan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread