The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Were there any cases of cancer from vaping?

Discussion in 'Health, Safety and Vaping' started by Berkiz, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Berkiz

Berkiz Full Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Ukraine
    I'm in vaping for 2.5 years. The only thing I know about cancer vaping is that the risk of lungs' cancer appears in 10 years after stable vaping (if not earlier).
    The thing is that I vape really a lot. Something about 240 ml per month.
    So I'm interested in:
    1. Were there any cases of cancer from vaping?
    2. What is the most truly info about vaping cancer for today?

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SW VA
    It's almost impossible to know with certainty what caused any particular case of cancer. This is compounded by the fact that most vapers are former smokers. I think all we can really do is look at what's in the vapor and conclude that it's unlikely to cause cancer, certainly far less likely than smoking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jebbn

Jebbn Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Where did you read that? Got any links that verify that claim?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Super Member

Aug 18, 2018
    240 ml a month ain't a lot man. I think you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Actually, you do not "know" this. You may think you "know" it but it is not correct. There have been absolutely no studies that I know of that prove that vaping causes cancer in 10 years. Whomever told you this was either uninformed, had access to a really dreadful and incorrect information, and etc. If you have a link, by all means post it so that it can be debunked.

As was already stated, the majority of vapers are former smokers, so that is just ONE confounding factor, not to mention that there are MANY other factors involved, such as one's genetic predisposition to cancer or not, amount of smoking length of time smoked, and by the way, if you would like to worry even more about imaginary facts, SMOKING (not vaping) can cause more than just lung cancer, it can elevate risks for MANY types of cancer including mouth cancer, laryngeal cancer heck probably MOST cancers.

If you are a former smoker, it is wise to keep up with your health testing and whatnot because some smoking related illnesses do not appear until a long time after you cease smoking.

Finally, it's not like "You can vape 9 years and 10 months" and magically avoid Vape Cancer (which is not at this time a known thing, actually) either. Even IF vaping could cause cancer (and we are going to need some pretty complicated longitudinal studies to do it, and I am personally looking forward to the Brit's attempt at designing one as the US is too busy arguing over who gets to be a supreme court judge and how to kill vaping period, while still not looking like the bad guy) well even IF it could, we don't KNOW that yet.

Also sometimes you are just unlucky. My MIL had lung cancer from long term exposure to cancer causing agents at her work, and had to have a lung removed. Cancer is not BIG in my husband's family at ALL but this was the kind of exposure that, well, made things almost unavoidable. So when you aren't worrying about vaping well, do keep an eye out for other things in your environment.

Or you could, you know, vape. That's up to you.

Anna

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. Berkiz

Berkiz Full Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Ukraine
    Seems like everyone here perceive my words in literal sense.
    Of course it's all conditional. The main question was about cancer cases, by the way

• Like Like x 1
  7. Berkiz

Berkiz Full Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Ukraine
    our understanding of 'a lot' seems to be different

• Like Like x 1
  8. Berkiz

Berkiz Full Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Ukraine
    I would try to find it, but not now

• Like Like x 1
  9. dripster

dripster Moved On ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    • Like Like x 3
  10. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Uh, no offense but you do understand the functions of words, right? They are "shared" definitions of objects and concepts, and if you wanted a "non literal" interpretation of "Ecigs cause cancer" well, you should have loaded on up a video of yourself (NO WORDS) giving us your "non literal" fears about ecigs and cancer using interpretive dance. Like, perhaps you could have done a sort of "cower away from your ecig" sort of theme, followed by dropping a dead cow lung on the floor and jumping up and down on it whilst screaming. IDK. SOMETHING.

Anything other than saying "I think ecigs cause cancer 10 years in," and then we would have been better able to help you then.

I kind of wish you would.... NOW. But, it's probably TOO LATE.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Or, I could write you a little poem, but it's gonna be tough.

My EYES MY EYES

ARHGYTH!!! when I look
    or do not look upon my ecig
    I wonder

ten years from now
    I shall select I think I worry I fear

the ecig lays upon the ground
    I look at my hands
    ten fingers might mean lung cancer
    or not I don't know this is an ART Piece

Conceptual, sort of

you know.... but I stare at my ecig
    and wonder if one day

I will lie beneath the ground
    my ecig will remain above

and i'm dead and down to one lung

this sucks ecig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if only I had vaped you for 9 years and 10 months

we might still be together

as we were.

once.

I mean, I'm sorry but you are essentially saying you wished you'd done either of those, and I am sort of glad I got to do them FOR you in a way, because I thoroughly enjoyed it, Mr. Conceptual.

Jeez. I feel like the need to apologize to a) cancer b) people who are really ill c) everybody EXCEPT THE OP.

Anna

• Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Frenchfry1942

Frenchfry1942 Chillin' Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2014
    Remember, you chose to use those words on an e-cig forum.

I see my doc twice a year for tests and labs, for which I am grateful, and he gives me good news about my getting away from cigs and vaping to support the nicotine addiction.

I come to this forum to learn, understand, and share a vaping commonality. Most here have bettered their health, I get inspired.

After 35 years of smoking and then switching, my health is measurably better.

• Like Like x 2
  12. sdennislee

sdennislee Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Alaska
    I vape 16 to 20mls per day so I don't see 240mls being a lot.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Berkiz

Berkiz Full Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Ukraine
    you're one jam monster xb

• Like Like x 2
  14. JSL_Aus

JSL_Aus Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Like others have said, it is pretty hard (if not impossible) to make a definitive causal link between vaping and cancer. It has taken many many decades of tobacco smoking to be able to make a link.

What I can say to hopefully help you is that the internet is full of BS websites, anti-vaping news and blogs sites, and the like. I just finished reading a handful of such news reports. Almost all of them were riddled with errors, such as "nicotine causes cancer", or "at 300 degrees celsius, vapers are inhaling formaldehyde", (whereas typical vaping is 200-250 degrees) and on and on.

What we do understand is that vaping is safer than smoking, and likely much safer. We also know that those who have quit smoking in favour of vaping have much less carcinogenic metabolites in their urine.

My own experience is that since quitting, my breathing is better, my wheeze has gone, my energy levels are up, I am fitter, I ache less, and so on. I am just an anecdote, but for me the evidence is clear: vaping is much better for my health than smoking. As for cancer risks, sure, I smoked for 29 years. Cancer may show up in 10 or 20 years, but I'd be wrong if I thought that the years of vaping, and not the decades of smoking, was the likely cause.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    My best guess at what you are saying is that if vapers get cancer they do it within 10 years of stopping smoking. That’s the same rate for former smokers who quit entirely so your information says vaping doesn’t cause cancer. That said you’ve only quit smoking for a few years so you’re still in the danger zone because of smoking. Doesn’t have anything to do with vaping though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Berkiz

Berkiz Full Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Ukraine
    Actually I've never been a smoker, I've started from vaping

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. kristin

kristin Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 16, 2009
    CASAA - Wisconsin
    To answer your specific questions:

1) No, there are no documented cases of any type of cancer linked to vaping in humans.

2) As far as science knows, while there are some chemicals found in SOME vapor that have been linked to cancer (no one knows what actually CAUSES cancer), the science has not been able to conclude that the LEVEL of those chemicals found in SOME vapor are actually high enough to cause cancer. No studies have found the level of the potentially harmful chemicals in vapor to be higher than what is found in everyday air. Nor do they know for certain that the chemicals they found are actually what causes cancer even in smokers.

What they do know is that the levels found are orders of magnitude lower than what is found in combustible cigarettes. Because they don't know exactly what chemicals cause the cancer (if it's even the chemicals and not genetics or inflammation) or at what level they might cause cancer, they suggest avoiding exposure to any level of these chemicals. However, they ignore the fact that most of those same chemicals are in everyday city air, so they're pretty hard to avoid.

Also, you didn't specify about which cancer you were concerned. Anti-tobacco likes to link just about every cancer to smoking, no matter how tenuous. Lung cancer, of course, but the truth is only 10% of smokers actually get lung cancer, so even fewer vapers would be at risk of lung cancer.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.