Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-massachusetts-hb-3726-updated-7-30-14-a.html

Westminster discussion starts at post #9

Just found this article that states they are banning all tobacco products, including vapor. Everything except big Pharma of course.
Westminster proposes first-in-state ban on tobacco sales - Massachusetts - The Boston Globe

Those dumb-asses.

It's only a 32 mile round trip for $50-$60 cartons from The Country Mile in Greenville, NH.
Nice scenic ride to save over $20/carton on coffin-nails for those still involved in suicide on the installment plan.

Smooth move Ex-lax, you lost yourself more tax dollars.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...Wtag&oq=Westminster,+MA&gl=us&mra=ls&t=m&z=11

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I have to give them some credit for being willing to give up the revenue from the products. I've always hated the claim that tax increases were intended to reduce smoking. Total BS.
That said, while I doubt that it will pass, the smoke shops would just set up outside the city limits and the state will still get its money.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I have to give them some credit for being willing to give up the revenue from the products. I've always hated the claim that tax increases were intended to reduce smoking. Total BS.
That said, while I doubt that it will pass, the smoke shops would just set up outside the city limits and the state will still get its money.

The problem is, the people making the decision AREN'T the people paying for its consequences. The tax on Cigarettes goes to the Feds and the State, not the town. The convenience store and gas station owners will be the ones who pay.

And while the total revenue from cigarettes is somewhat significant, the real revenue comes from the add-ons. Folks come in to buy their daily pack, and while they're in the store pick up a coffee, some lottery tickets (high margins!!!), a newspaper, etc. When they have to go out-of-town for their butts, all these other sales go with them. (Not to mention the gasoline sales).

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
The problem is, the people making the decision AREN'T the people paying for its consequences. The tax on Cigarettes goes to the Feds and the State, not the town. The convenience store and gas station owners will be the ones who pay.

And while the total revenue from cigarettes is somewhat significant, the real revenue comes from the add-ons. Folks come in to buy their daily pack, and while they're in the store pick up a coffee, some lottery tickets (high margins!!!), a newspaper, etc. When they have to go out-of-town for their butts, all these other sales go with them. (Not to mention the gasoline sales).

That's why I said I doubt it will pass. My point is, if you really want smokers to quit, ban tobacco completely, don't just tax me to death and say it's for my own good, because you found a way to get more tax revenue.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
That's why I said I doubt it will pass. My point is, if you really want smokers to quit, ban tobacco completely, don't just tax me to death and say it's for my own good, because you found a way to get more tax revenue.

But the Westminster law IS about banning tobacco sales completely..... Sorry, you lost me here.

The worst part is I think we're both in agreement, but I don't think we're understanding each other.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
But the Westminster law IS about banning tobacco sales completely..... Sorry, you lost me here.

The worst part is I think we're both in agreement, but I don't think we're understanding each other.

That's why I said I give them credit for being willing to give up the revenue. It's a stupid product. I wish it had never existed. Money is why it does. I don't think their ban will pass, but at least they mean it. They are not just saying you can't smoke in public, pay up and stay home.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-massachusetts-hb-3726-updated-7-30-14-a.html

Westminster discussion starts at post #9

Those dumb-asses.

It's only a 32 mile round trip for $50-$60 cartons from The Country Mile in Greenville, NH.
Nice scenic ride to save over $20/carton on coffin-nails for those still involved in suicide on the installment plan.

Smooth move Ex-lax, you lost yourself more tax dollars.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...Wtag&oq=Westminster,+MA&gl=us&mra=ls&t=m&z=11

Oops, sorry. Missed the whole thing over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread